Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy email from eircom.net to verify live email addresses??

Options
  • 03-10-2010 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I got this email entitled "Upgrade" and this is the content:

"Webmail.eircom.net

This message is from Eircom.Net Messaging Center to all email account
    owners.We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail account center.We
    are deleting all unused Eircom.net account to create more space for new
    accounts.To prevent your account from closing, you will have to update it
    below so that we will know that it's a present used account.

CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL IDENTITY BELOW

EMAIL USERNAME:.......... .....
    EMAIL PASSWORD:................

Warning!!! Account owner is to update his or her account within Seven days
    of receiving this warning or will lose his or her account permanently.

Thank you for using Eircom.net!
    Warning Code:**********

Thanks, Management. "

Does anyone know if this is spam? The email address to reply to was interconnectiondept@live.co.uk

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

It is not only spam, but a scam attempt.
    The same type of fake warning messages about closing accounts have been sent regarding many other companies.
    There are some grammar mistakes.
    The reply address "interconnectiondept at live co uk" is a big hint that it is not from Eircom, (although scammers can make reply addresses appear genuine, even thought they haven't done so in this case).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Eibhin wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is spam? The email address to reply to was interconnectiondept@live.co.uk
    Seriously? With a reply address like that, do you even need to ask?

"To report spam or any other form of online abuse, please fill out the following form, giving as much detail as possible."
    http://support.eircom.net/abuse/
    "Please copy the e-mail header information into the box provided. For steps on how to get the header details from an e-mail please click here"

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Thanks Emanresu I will do that now.

To Alun: Not everybody is a techincal genius like you, otherwise why would I come on here to ask. Don't worry I won't be back here to ask any other stupid questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Eibhin wrote: »
    To Alun: Not everybody is a techincal genius like you, otherwise why would I come on here to ask. Don't worry I won't be back here to ask any other stupid questions.

The forum is for knowledge sharing and discussion, questions are welcome from anyone. So feel free to post at any time.

• Advertisement

rmacm wrote: »
    The forum is for knowledge sharing and discussion, questions are welcome from anyone. So feel free to post at any time.

Exactly. There has to be a first time for everyone to experience scam attempts, and if that happens, the sensible thing to do is ask advice about it rather than getting caught out.

Advertisement