Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anybody on campus have Linux experience?

• 03-10-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭

I own a pretty old laptop with a reasonably obscure wireless card that has refused to see eye to eye with Ubuntu Karmic, Lucid and Puppy Linux.
    I only have a very sketchy grasp of command-line, and I've sunk many an hour into trying the get the damn thing to work.

Are there any IT students/enthusiasts who would be able to sort that out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

So what Linux are you running?

Why not try Mandrake 8.0 if your Laptop is old. or even get your hands on a Live CD, Which boots off the CD, I use Suse 11 with KDE . but if you have an Old Computer i would use Gnome Version 1 which only needs 500Mhz CPU & about 48Mbs Ram. to run.

If you partition the hard drive and install Linux on it please make sure you give Win X the Boot Choice as if you allow Linux to take over Partition boot and down the line unpartition the Linux side of the Hard drive your PC will not boot, will give User an Error cant find Partition Boot,

This is why i love VMWare.

To Answer your Question Most Wireless Card do not Work with Linux, but if you go onto the Wireless Card Site and download their Version for Linux and read how to install it under Command line. most programs are coming into more user friendly ways of installing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

Cork24 wrote: »
    So what Linux are you running?

Why not try Mandrake 8.0 if your Laptop is old. or even get your hands on a Live CD, Which boots off the CD, I use Suse 11 with KDE . but if you have an Old Computer i would use Gnome Version 1 which only needs 500Mhz CPU & about 48Mbs Ram. to run.

If you partition the hard drive and install Linux on it please make sure you give Win X the Boot Choice as if you allow Linux to take over Partition boot and down the line unpartition the Linux side of the Hard drive your PC will not boot, will give User an Error cant find Partition Boot,

This is why i love VMWare.

To Answer your Question Most Wireless Card do not Work with Linux, but if you go onto the Wireless Card Site and download their Version for Linux and read how to install it under Command line. most programs are coming into more user friendly ways of installing

Found a Linksys thing for the card [Texas Instruments ACX III, I think], but it wouldn't install. I'll give mandrake a try anyway. Haven't ventured below Ubuntu 9.0 yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Ubuntu 10.4 is out, why not give that a try.

I would say that your Network Card not be run under linux, best bet is to get your hands on a Belkin USB stick. i know for a fact my old USR wireless Network card would not work with Linux, so i had to get a Belkin

Advertisement