Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports Presenters

• 03-10-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Why do they pick and choose names of players and teams that they pronounce correctly and incorrectly, its their job to report the news.. ffs they should be able to read it all accurately and not be making up pronunciations :mad:

Prime example, this bellend:

jim-white.jpg&t=1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

What did he say that upset you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

He will say 'Sevilla' correctly but then in the same report, say 'Valencia' incorrectly. Iv seen him call the Arsenal keeper 'Luke' instead of 'Łukasz' which sounds a hell of a lot different to Luke..

I cant think of any other stand-out mistakes at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

He will say 'Sevilla' correctly but then in the same report, say 'Valencia' incorrectly. Iv seen him call the Arsenal keeper 'Luke' instead of 'Łukasz' which sounds a hell of a lot different to Luke..

I cant think of any other stand-out mistakes at the mo.

Who cares? You could at least have some more examples before setting up a thread on it

Well God I didnt know Boards had become a court of law all of a sudden. Its about professionalism, he's paid to read reports, he should be doing it correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Big woop wanna fight about it?

1408075081_5607ee607d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

So you are ignorant enough, not to know his name :rolleyes: His name is Jim White. I really like him :)

I know his name, Id to search for a pic of him to post didnt I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The newsreader that annoys me is that old guy who is always squinting while reading. David Bobin is his name before anyone attacks me.

david-bobin.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The women, though..*dribbles*

georgie-thompson-pic-panicpictures-386445431.jpg

natalie_sawyer_natalie_sawyer_Ho5Wa7z.sized.jpg

b4479624f11761081cdbed84da4b6689_charlotte-jackson-3.jpg

50253_147330751960370_5430_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Don't get the love in Sky seem to have for Jim at all he wrecks my head.
    Now the ladies on the other hand.... nom nom nom nom ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The women are great. The man are all dull as ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The women are great. The man are all dull as ****.

Truth, I want hot men in Sky Sports so I can put pics of them in threads too!

Fair is fair like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

mars bar wrote: »
    Truth, I want hot men in Sky Sports so I can put pics of them in threads too!

Fair is fair like.

In fairness women get to see the footballers, rugby players and whatnot on Sky Sports all the time. Plenty for you to look at there. Let us have Georgie, Natalie and co in peace :D

In fairness women get to see the footballers, rugby players and whatnot on Sky Sports all the time. Plenty for you to look at there. Let us have Georgie, Natalie and co in peace :D

Very few good looking footballers to be honest. Tommy Bowe is the only good looking rugby player out there.

They pick the women presenters because of their looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

The women are great.

Yeah they might be great, but how many of them could take a football to the back of the head like Jessica Kastrop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Charlotte Jackson...

I was distraught when Setanta News went under, then I got better! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

i wish i could thank you again

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Iv seen him call the Arsenal keeper 'Luke' instead of 'Łukasz' which sounds a hell of a lot different to Luke..

Well to be fair to him, I've no idea how to pronounce Ł either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

The thread. It began with fail, then became a success

cat-782509.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Why do they pick and choose names of players and teams that they pronounce correctly and incorrectly, its their job to report the news.. ffs they should be able to read it all accurately and not be making up pronunciations :mad:

Prime example, this bellend:

jim-white.jpg&t=1

So how do they pronounce Valencia? Begining with a "V" sound or a "B" sound?

You see, i'm guessing they say "Sevilla" because it is a Spanish word. The Spanish word for "Seville" (which would not have the "ll" sound like Sevilla).

Now, Valencia (Balencia) is Spanish, but the English word for Valencia is......... Valencia, spoken with a V instead of a B. So he's actually right!

Personally, i HATE people like George Hamilton who pronounce EVERYTHING in the accent of origin!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Personally, i HATE people like George Hamilton who pronounce EVERYTHING in the accent of origin!

I don't get why someone would object to knowing how a place name is actually supposed to be pronounced? :confused:

bonerm wrote: »
    I don't get why someone would object to knowing how a place name is actually supposed to be pronounced? :confused:

Well, he's speaking English isn't he?

He doesn't call Paris "Pareeeeeeee" does he?

Well, he's speaking English isn't he?

He doesn't call Paris "Pareeeeeeee" does he?

I don't know what he calls it. But regardless it's still called "Pareeeeeeee" even if you and millions of other English speakers can't be bothered to call it that.

I don't know what he calls it. But regardless it's still called "Pareeeeeeee" even if you and millions of other English speakers can't be bothered to call it that.

But you see, he's speaking English. it's not a case of what the place is actually called, it's a case of speaking the word in English if he is speaking English.

Pareeee in English is Paris. Just like not many English speaking commentators would say Bayern München........ because they are speaking English........ and the place is "Munich" in English.

But you see, he's speaking English. it's not a case of what the place is actually called, it's a case of speaking the word in English if he is speaking English.

Pareeee in English is Paris. Just like not many English speaking commentators would say Bayern München........ because they are speaking English........ and the place is "Munich" in English.

That's just a convention tho. It's not something I would consider "more correct" to do just because a lot of people do it in a particular tongue.

Whilst I can accept the English pronunciation of foreign cities I would definitely have no issue with an English speaker using the native pronunciation rather than the typical English version. If anything I'd prefer and welcome it.

Aside, interestingly, and contrary to our prior conversation, to my knowledge nobody in the English speaking world calls Paris Saint-Germain .... "Paris" St. Germain, even there it's still called "Pareee" Saint-Germain. Funny how that one worked out.

That's just a convention tho. It's not something I would consider "more correct" to do just because a lot of people do it in a particular tongue.

Whilst I can accept the English pronunciation of foreign cities I would definitely have no issue with an English speaker using the native pronunciation rather than the typical English version. If anything I'd prefer and welcome it.

Aside, interestingly, and contrary to our prior conversation, to my knowledge nobody in the English speaking world calls Paris Saint-Germain .... "Paris" St. Germain, even there it's still called "Pareee" Saint-Germain. Funny how that one worked out.

I call them Parasagermn.:P

Well, most people i know called them "Paris" Saint-Germain but i know what ya mean.

I don't mind the right pronunciation, but i think when someone is going out of their way it comes across as slightly........ pretensious?

Maybe it's just me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

:eek: Really?

:eek: Really?

Did ya not know?! :eek:

I'm sorry if I disappointed ya.

• Advertisement

Did ya not know?! :eek:

I'm sorry if I disappointed ya.

I thought it was for their exemplary football knowledge.:(:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

On the same note, how do you pronounce Özil? The last couple years i would have been calling him just O-zil. Since the WC i've heard about 10 other ways people say his name, ooozil, ayzil, oizil etc.

On the op's post i do find it annoying sometimes when it is just done ignorantly, at the end of the day it is their job and the least they can do is pronounce words properly, at the end of the day its not half as annoying as Andy Gray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What an awesome thread. This forum has really amused me today.

Toodle pip.

baz2009 wrote: »
    I thought it was for their exemplary football knowledge.:(:P

No. :( We only get that from the men*. We could do with swapping it around for a while!

*Andy Gray does not count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

MOG7 wrote: »
    On the same note, how do you pronounce Özil? The last couple years i would have been calling him just O-zil. Since the WC i've heard about 10 other ways people say his name, ooozil, ayzil, oizil etc.

Uh-zil

No. :( We only get that from the men*. We could do with swapping it around for a while!

*Andy Gray does not count

I can't stand Jamie literally Redknapp. I do hear a few ones around here saying how gorgeous he is, though, would he not do for ya? :P

I say Oh-Zil, but I'm a bogger soo..:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Know he is not sky but Alan Hansen Jesus wept :(

baz2009 wrote: »
    I can't stand Jamie literally Redknapp. I do hear a few ones around here saying how gorgeous he is, though, would he not do for ya? :P

I say Oh-Zil, but I'm a bogger soo..:P

I dunno, I can't see him for the shine of his suit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Very few good looking footballers to be honest. Tommy Bowe is the only good looking rugby player out there.

My bad...I just presumed there would be a few! Oh well at least Charlotte Jackson is still a hottie :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

angel01 wrote: »
    So you are ignorant enough, not to know his name :rolleyes: His name is Jim White. I really like him :)
    Irish famine jibe

On 29 November 2007, White, who is known for his support of Rangers FC,[2] was heard making unguarded mocking remarks about fans of Celtic when they were singing Irish folk song The Fields of Athenry. White believed he was not on air and remarked "Oh here we go again, the tottie famine" and his colleague and former Celtic striker Charlie Nicholas followed up by saying "Aye, and they're all eating chips and singing this" in reference to the Irish Potato Famine.[3]

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Jim White is tolerable on transfer deadline day, that's it.

David Bobin is a legend

Charlotte and Hayley have taken over from Georgie aswell.

That is all.

Before there was a big black fella on. What was his name? About 17-18 stone.

CorkMan wrote: »
    He's still there, usually in the mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

CorkMan wrote: »

Mike Wedderburn?

Yes, thats him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Degag wrote: »
    Jim White is tolerable on transfer deadline day, that's it.

I think he's ok, I quite liked his grilling of SOS at Anfield on Sunday..informed or otherwise. He asked questions.

Also the ex-Blue Peter lad is alright, but the rest...pah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the thread title promises so so much, but apart from Baz's post, disappoints so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

This basically sums it up for me.

the thread title promises so so much, but apart from Baz's post, disappoints so much.

Oooops, my bad!

article-1148761-039065CD000005DC-118_468x690.jpg

charlottejackson7.jpg
    millie_clode_page1_.jpg&t=1
    Millie-Clode-2.jpg

Georgie%20Thompson%209.jpg

GeorgieThompson0051.jpg&t=1
    charlotte4.jpg
    50253_147330751960370_5430_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

See Charlotte on SSN today (possibly still on now)?? I was at home for lunch at about 2 and lets just say my toasted sandwiches went cold while I was looking at her with my jaw on the ground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement