Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low power main boards

• 03-10-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I hope to get started on a car pc project over the coming months. Been out of the pc building loop for a long time!

Looking for some advice on small and lowpower main boards, preferably something not to under powered.

Am I right in thinking my main options will be a atom based board or are the latest intel/amd offerings low enough power to be able to run in a car?

Would be nice if low power also didn't mean no video

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

I built a low power computer about 4 month ago (although not for car pc but currently desktop use and then as a HTPC soon)

Intel DH57JG Motherboard (mini-ITX), Intel core i3 530, 2Ghz Ram, 320Gb 2.5" HDD, PicoPSU-120

Works perfectly well, plays any videos I tried so far (up to 1080i) and uses 18-19 Watt on idle (with HD spinning), and just shy of 70W when all cores are fully pushed. This measurements are all at the 220V side, taking into account the max 80% efficiency of the Poweradaptor (to 12V) I am using, the figures should be even better. So I don't see any problem for running that setup in a car.

Quite happy with the build and has plenty of computing power for what I use it for.

Advertisement