Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Hodgson and Liverpool done?

• 03-10-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Seven games in and sitting in the relegation zone.

Should he do the honorable thing and walk?

Should he be pushed?

Should he be given time and stay to sort out the mess?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Drop to the championship

Bring in RK.

profit.

I think it was macca a few weeks ago that said roys style doesnt suit big clubs.Liverpool should be attacking teams like blackpool relentlesly.
    His style allows these teams to attack liverpool,they hold no fear of them the way they are playing.

The fear of big clubs is most of the battle won before they even enter the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Roy has a 3 year contract. Would be pricey to sack him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think it's time for Roddy Collins tbh.

He's never been relegated..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

No doubt you'll get accused of trolling here, but yeah, they're done. I don't care what's going on behind the scenes, the club could be run by a large pack of meerkats but the fact of the matter is with the players they have available to them, the team are underperforming massively. In today's game, that means the manager has to go. Whether that's right or wrong is another discussion, but he has to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

sacking Benitez & replacing him with Hodgson at the cost of £10m is being shown as being one of the most comical actions taken by a football club in the modern era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Would be pricey to sack him.

More costly than getting relegated?

Give him his P45 now to fu2k! He's just not up to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

With about 10 minutes to go Fletcher had the ball on the right side and went past 2 liverpool players and laid it off to the peno spot without a single tackle.

**** all any manager can do if your players wont do the simple things like tackle? Not one liverpool player showed any glimpse of why they get paid to play football they were shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Putting all the blame on the two Dukes is simply putting your head in the sand. Imo Hodgson has to shoulder a huge part of the blame as he shipped a huge amount of players out in the summer and replaced them with crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Mr Alan wrote: »
    sacking Benitez & replacing him with Hodgson at the cost of £10m is being shown as being one of the most comical actions taken by a football club in the modern era.

I think the most comical decision made regarding Liverpool was allowing Gillette & hicks to buy the club. And that's from both perspectives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

SK1979 wrote: »
    Putting all the blame on the two Dukes is simply putting your head in the sand. Imo Hodgson has to shoulder a huge part of the blame as he shipped a huge amount of players out in the summer and replaced them with crap.

A huge amount of players?

Do explain please.

Mascherano clearly wanted to go; so did Benayoun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mr Alan wrote: »

and to think SOME people thought that Rafa was the source of all the problems!
    Roy is not enough of a manager for Liverpool, certainly not when we are in crisis both on and off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Thread needs a pole!
    I'd be interested to see what Liverpool fans think in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I think it's a bit kneejerk to say sack him now. The season has sust started and Liverpool are not doing well but I don't think they are in any real danger of relegation.

And danger of relegation is the only reason I would sack Hodgson. At the start of the season everyone said that this would be a rebuilding phase for Liverpool and that they were unlikely to do well. I don't see what has changed other than the reality of that has start to hit home.

Another one of these threads.

Not suprising though seeing as who the OP is.

And yes Hodgson is done

cson wrote: »
    A huge amount of players?

Do explain please.

Mascherano clearly wanted to go; so did Benayoun.

Mascherano had spoken openly about signing a new deal in March/April. There was one manager in the world he would've stayed for, but we'd paid 10m to give him to the European Champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Another one of these threads.

Not suprising though seeing as who the OP is.

And yes Hodgson is done

Well if he's done what's the problem with the thread? Others might not agree.

Discussion forums ftw

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well if he's done what's the problem with the thread? Others might not agree.

Discussion forums ftw

Whatever makes you happy. Carry on.

Showing your age ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I agree with your sentiment but an identically titled thread was closed promptly a week or two ago after another Pool comedy result. Difference between that one and this one is a member of the moderati didn't start it.

When you gonna close this one Slickric?

A moderator didn't start this one either Einstein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Footballl is really mad, Ted.

You think long & hard about who the best person to do a job for you is; you know its going to be a tough job; you pay him well; you give him the resources you have available (not much in this case); you decide that you want him for the next 3 years.

And then, after a few weeks, when things havent gone nearly as well as you expect, you sack him....?:confused:

Does this work in any non-sport context? And if not, why do people continue to do it in a sporting context?

• Advertisement

I agree with your sentiment but an identically titled thread was closed promptly a week or two ago after another Pool comedy result. Difference between that one and this one is a member of the moderati didn't start it.

When you gonna close this one Slickric?

I'm not part of the moderati :confused:

Lock her up though by all means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

drkpower wrote: »

You think long & hard about who the best person to do a job for you is; you know its going to be a tough job; you pay him well; you give him the resources you have available (not much in this case); you decide that you want him for the next 3 years.

And then, after a few weeks, when things havent gone nearly as well as you expect, you sack him....?:confused:

Does this work in any non-sport context? And if not, why do people continue to do it in a sporting context?

Exactly. Hodgson and Liverpool aren't done, they just haven't got going yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Im gonna wait until Christmas to make my decision. (unless he goes before then)

Its early days yet but we should DEFINALLY not be losing to teams of this level. Theirs only so much a manager can do but some of the players dont look bothered anymore.

At the start I could put up with being bottom table, because 3 points could bring us up to the top half. But the deeper we go and less wins we get, we could be in big trouble.

Its like a bad song being stuck on repeat and we cant change it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Hodgson was walkingon water at Craven cottage, he should never have left Fulham for anyhting never mind the poison chalice that Liverpool have become.
    It's sad to see a great club go this way and it's also sad to see a great manager do likewise.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

drkpower wrote: »

or else you bring in someone who's gonna be happy to be at a big club, that person wont rock the boat when you sell players and buy dross with none of his input as he's just glad to be there, then when you sell the club you let whoever bought it clean up the mess..

i would be very surprised if the board is even thinking about considering his position.

Whatever makes you happy. Carry on.

Showing your age ;)

Not sure what tht means tbh.

Pool are up shit creek or one reason or another. Should be a discussable topic really for loverz and haterz alike.

nullzero wrote: »
    Hodgson was walkingon water at Craven cottage, he should never have left Fulham for anyhting never mind the poison chalice that Liverpool have become.
    It's sad to see a great club go this way and it's also sad to see a great manager do likewise.

i'm confused you still think roy is a great manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

dreamers75 wrote: »
    With about 10 minutes to go Fletcher had the ball on the right side and went past 2 liverpool players and laid it off to the peno spot without a single tackle.

**** all any manager can do if your players wont do the simple things like tackle? Not one liverpool player showed any glimpse of why they get paid to play football they were shocking.

Liverpool should sign Dave Mulcahy then! :)

°°°°°

i'm confused you still think roy is a great manager?

Yes I do.
    He's at the wrong club though. I never thought the Liverpool job would suit him, it doesn't take away from his ability and past achievements.
    I can see how Liverpool fans want his head on a stick but he's not the root of the problem at that club and thats the real worry for Liverpool.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I'm not part of the moderati :confused:

Lock her up though by all means

Shuurrre you aren't Xavi, of course not :). However would you not consider it odd an identical thread was promptly locked after another poor l'pool result?
    Archimedes wrote: »
    A moderator didn't start this one either Einstein.

Tip for you Cleatus: a look under the OPs username reveals what forums they rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056040476

Just out of interest I'd love to know why mine was closed. Iago obviously didn't read the reasons I gave. I also posted the original " are Liverpool and rafa done " thread last year and the amount of stick I got from Liverpool fans was ridiculous, and yet I was proven right.

In this case, I think hodgson is wrong man for the job, and that Liverpool are done.

Shuurrre you aren't Xavi, of course not :). However would you not consider it odd an identical thread was promptly locked after another poor l'pool result?

Tip for you Cleatus: a look under the OPs username reveals what forums they rule.

:confused: I mod one rarely frequented forum and everywhere except there (Soccer included) I'm a user like everyone else. Same rules apply as to your good self so not sure where you're getting this mod conspiracy from.

Report the thread if it's that much of an issue. One of our friendly mods will I'm sure deal with me and the thread appropriately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Last year Rafa had
    1 an in form Torres even if he wasn't always fit
    2 a decent defensive midfielder
    3 A better version of Joe Cole

Hodgsen hasn't had any of these

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

He's just another user on the SF - leave your foil hat at the door.

Last year Rafa had
    1 an in form Torres even if he wasn't always fit
    2 a decent defensive midfielder
    3 A better version of Joe Cole

Yeah and last year Liverpool didn't have Roy "top class man manager" Hodgson

• Advertisement

:confused: I mod one rarely frequented forum and everywhere except there (Soccer included) I'm a user like everyone else. Same rules apply as to your good self so not sure where you're getting this mod conspiracy from.

Report the thread if it's that much of an issue. One of our friendly mods will I'm sure deal with me and the thread appropriately.

Relax Xavi it's got nothing to do with you, i ain't going squealing on ya. It's just inconsistent modding as pointed out by mrwillbeback which is more annoying then anything.
    He's just another user on the SF - leave your foil hat at the door.

Highlighting inconsistent modding ain't tinfoil hat territory tbh.

Yes I do.
    He's at the wrong club though. I never thought the Liverpool job would suit him, it doesn't take away from his ability and past achievements.
    I can see how Liverpool fans want his head on a stick but he's not the root of the problem at that club and thats the real worry for Liverpool.

well he's obviously not better than rafa, what does that make rafa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Yeah and last year Liverpool didn't have Roy "top class man manager" Hodgson
    Who said he was top class?
    The fact is that the squad is in bad shape and Hodgson didn't have money to spend on players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah because both were in the exact same boat, right?

Baffling to me how a guy like Hodgson, who was showered with praise from other great managers, as well as the media and fans alike, has suddently become a 'bad manager'.

Let's sum this up - great manager takes over a club in decline. The team subsequently struggles. Is it because:

a) The great manager became sh*t in a few months.

b) The club are in deeper trouble than was initally thought.

I would say option B is the most likely explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Its great if your an Everton or United fan!:D

• Advertisement

Last year Rafa had
    1 an in form Torres even if he wasn't always fit Roy is playing a part in Torres form by breaking up his partnership with Gerrard & leaving him so isolated
    2 a decent defensive midfieldermaybe we shouldn't have sold Mascherano then, or at least replaced him effectively. also interesting that mascherano was regularly criticised as not being needed in games like todays
    3 A better version of Joe Colemeh, there ain't a lot between the two-certainly the loss of Benayoun aint a reason we're in the relegation zone

Hodgson has had virtually a fully fit squad for nearly all the season thus far & a Gerrard who looks a bit more interested.

Something we didn't even NEARLY have for the majority of last season, when we did, there wasn't much of an issue with our results.

°°°°°

Rafa did moderatley ok with a huge club, his greatest success came with the players his predecessor left him, he then went on to disimprove his squad for the most part.
    Torres Alonso and Mascherano were great buys, but balanced aginst the rest of his transfers he wasn't exactly canny in the market.

Hodgson took a struggling small club and brought them to the final of the Europa League and generally improved his squad as oppossed to wasting the clubs money.

The expectations are hugely different at the two clubs and for that reason I think Hodgson isn't right for Liverpool, he's still a great manager but a great manager of smaller clubs.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Theirs only so much a manager can do but some of the players dont look bothered anymore.
    Exactly. Easier to pile on the blame on to the manager when the players are sauntering around like they don't give a toss.

Baffling to me how a guy like Hodgson, who was showered with praise from other great managers, as well as the media and fans alike, has suddently become a 'bad manager'.

Let's sum this up - great manager takes over a club in decline. The team subsequently struggles. Is it because:

Don't forget option C - sell your best players and bring in cheapo sub standard replacements. Whats Roy supposed to do when the one half left of a top class central midfield pairing is sold?

Still plenty of time for him to get it together, it'd be joke shop territory if Pool are going sacking managers 5 minutes after hiring them and giving him loads of cash IOUs to spend.

Having said that, it's a perfect situation for Martin O' Neill to walk into, he'd have no time in bringing down to earth a squad (and fans) who have too many airs and graces about them. He'll get Pool top half in a ugly manner.

°°°°°

Its great if your an Everton or United fan!:D

I am a United fan, and it makes me worry about what might happen to my own club down the line. I'd prefer to have Liverpool in the Premier League than see them go down and watch similar things happen to United, which is very possible:(

Glazers Out!

great manager brings a club to 2nd, highest ever points finish for that club. The next season they come 7th and the manager is sacked, i dont remember you bounding into the liverpool thread to defend rafa and say lets look at the club and maybe he is keeping our heads above water...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am going to let this thread roll and see what happens as its a genuine question that needs to be debated.No trolling/gloating whatsoever will be tolerated so don't say you have not been warned.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056040476

Just out of interest I'd love to know why mine was closed. Iago obviously didn't read the reasons I gave. I also posted the original " are Liverpool and rafa done " thread last year and the amount of stick I got from Liverpool fans was ridiculous, and yet I was proven right.

I can only speak for myself but here is my thinking on this,your thread was posted up on the 22 Sep after a league cup defeat.Before that game we had lost only to Utd and City and a few bad draws.

Since you made your thread we have gone on to have 3 bad results,this changes things IMO hence the change in decision.Don't get me wrong as a Liverpool fan I would love to lock this thread and run away and hide,but that would be the wrong call.

I've watched pretty much every Pool game this year with a lot of curiosity more so than anything else and it's the backline that baffles me the most.

Roy hasn't settled on his best four. He's had injuries to deal with and a few comings and goings but there's still been too many changes.

The only constant is Johnson and, ropey and all as he is at times, he needs to be in the side.

At centre half both Carragher and Kyrgiakos are hopeless. Actually, worse than hopeless. Too slow and consequently go to ground too easy and too often (saw it today with Kyrgiakos and Varney). Skrtel looks like he should be solid but isn't, though he should be playing alongside Agger in the middle. Agger is the best defender at the club imo. Konchesky is a solid if unspectacular signing and will do a job at left back.

Carragher needs to be cut asap for me.

Johnson----Skrtel----Agger----Konchesky

Get a decent backline and you're halfway there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

One rule for the mods on here lads. I bet if one of us started the thread it would be locked and accused of trolling.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

NickDrake wrote: »
    One rule for the mods on here lads. I bet if one of us started the thread it would be locked and accused of trolling.
    Posting conspiracy theories like this is the only trolling I can see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement