Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Hodgson and Liverpool done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

rossie1977 wrote: »
    difference there was that the utd fans wanted fergie out because he hadn't won them the league in his first 4 years, they were never in the relegation zone

hodgson had blackburn in the same position during his reign, the blackburn board didn't wait, they sacked him when they reached the bottom of the table, the only place liverpool are going under hodgson is relegation if you are losing to northampton and blackpool

Well United were close enough. They were flirting with relegation at the end of 1989 in Ferguson's so called lowest moment. They ended up in 13th, but won the FA Cup so you never know it might not be all bad for Liverpool then by the end of the year. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Well United were close enough. They were flirting with relegation at the end of 1989 in Ferguson's so called lowest moment. They ended up in 13th, but won the FA Cup so you never know it might not be all bad for Liverpool then by the end of the year. ;)

Beat me to it, United were f*cking awful for a while there in the late 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

As much as some people disliked him selling Benayoun was so stupid. They didn't even get a good price for him.

Liverpool are destined for more failure IMO with or without Hodgson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Ladbrooks latest odds......
    Liverpool Boss Roy Hodgson Now Third Favourite In Premier League Sack Race

Bookmakers Ladbrokes have slashes the odds on Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson to be the next manager to be sacked, as he now sits at 7/2 third favourite.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/10/03/2149040/liverpool-boss-roy-hodgson-now-third-favourite-in-premier-league-

Prices on the others...

5/2 Avram Grant
    3/1 Roberto Martinez
    7/2 Roy Hodgson
    12/1 Mick McCarthy
    12/1 Roberto Mancini
    12/1 David Moyes
    12/1 Ian Holloway
    14/1 Chris Hughton
    16/1 Alex McLeish
    20/1 bar. Others on request....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Whats are the odds on Roy being sacked by christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Shocking start by Liverpool, but I still think 7 games is way too short a time to be sacking a manager. One good win and it can turn around, although these days nothing would surprise, look at Paulo Sousa given the heave-ho at Leicester after 8 games FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Give him until Christmas. If things are still this bad they should sack him, but I'm not sure if Liverpool can afford to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

As much as some people disliked him selling Benayoun was so stupid. They didn't even get a good price for him.

Liverpool are destined for more failure IMO with or without Hodgson.

Benitez told bennyoun he could find another club on the last day of last season.

He agreed a move with chelsea. Benitez left. Filling in the gaps is difficult. One thing is for certain though, bennyoun does love lfc, he took a 50% paycut to join the club. John terry makes new players sing a song in front of the team as an initiation, bennyoun started belting out youll never walk alone.

Bennyoun had every right to leave when the manger tells him he can. Everything else in the scenario is the mess that is LFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Whats are the odds on Roy being sacked by christmas?

He won't be sacked unless new owners come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hodgson is clueless and well out of his depth. He's an Englishman though and had a relatively decent season last year so the press wanked themselves into a frenzy over him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Not a hope i'd get rid of him now, its very early days and he has to settle in, if people were expecting miracles at this stage they are mad. They won't go down but i think they will still finish in the top 10, Hodgson is a very good manager and really i find this talk hillarious.

At the end of the day Liverpool will not sack him this season no matter what imho. Who can they even replace him with that could do any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

daithijjj wrote: »
    Benitez told bennyoun he could find another club on the last day of last season.

He agreed a move with chelsea. Benitez left. Filling in the gaps is difficult. One thing is for certain though, bennyoun does love lfc, he took a 50% paycut to join the club. John terry makes new players sing a song in front of the team as an initiation, bennyoun started belting out youll never walk alone.

Bennyoun had every right to leave when the manger tells him he can. Everything else in the scenario is the mess that is LFC.

The only person who has said he was given permission to speak to another club was Yossi, and he has a history of lying about things like that.

Simple fact is fairly sharpish after the season ended, Rafa was sacked. At this point and for weeks after, Liverpool had not agreed to sell Yossi to Chelsea & even said that the two clubs were some distance from agreeing to a transfer, which as a rule would happen before the player is gonna speak to the club.

If Yossi wanted to stay he could have. I don't blame him for wanting to leave, but him saying he left cause of Rafa & would have loved to have stayed is such bollox.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The only person who has said he was given permission to speak to another club was Yossi, and he has a history of lying about things like that.

Simple fact is fairly sharpish after the season ended, Rafa was sacked. At this point and for weeks after, Liverpool had not agreed to sell Yossi to Chelsea & even said that the two clubs were some distance from agreeing to a transfer, which as a rule would happen before the player is gonna speak to the club.

If Yossi wanted to stay he could have. I don't blame him for wanting to leave, but him saying he left cause of Rafa & would have loved to have stayed is such bollox.

Im not having this debate with you again, im done repeating myself. Theres no point. Has rafa denied it ever happened? no, so the debate is pointless. Come on, it happens all the time at the end of the season at every club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yea we did talk about it before, and you're reasoning as to why he wouldnt stay was because he was obviously a man of his word & once he'd spoken to Chelsea & verbally agreed anything, he was always going to sign for them, his honest & true heart wouldn't have been capable of anything else....then it was pointed out all the lies he told to West Ham & their fans immediately before signing for Liverpool & you kinda ignored that point! :D

Rafa is probably not aware it ever happened because he doesn't read the Sunday S*n, whom Yossi "I <3 Liverpool" Benayoun gave his exclusive hatchet job to :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

IMO lFC fans need to lower their expectations. You cannot simply expect to finish in the top 4/6 each year no matter how poorly the club is being run. A bit more realism is required. A top half finish would be a decent season given the current squad, manager and owners

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Should Liverpool sack Roy Hodgson?

Yes 62% No 38%

Yea we did talk about it before, and you're reasoning as to why he wouldnt stay was because he was obviously a man of his word & once he'd spoken to Chelsea & verbally agreed anything, he was always going to sign for them, his honest & true heart wouldn't have been capable of anything else....then it was pointed out all the lies he told to West Ham & their fans immediately before signing for Liverpool & you kinda ignored that point! :D

Rafa is probably not aware it ever happened because he doesn't read the Sunday S*n, whom Yossi "I <3 Liverpool" Benayoun gave his exclusive hatchet job to :p:D

I never did ignore it, infact i acknowleged it, get your 'fachts' straight first :D. At the same time i dont think you really acknowledged that the man accepted a 50% paycut than sign an improved contract at west ham, that is a fact, and goes a fair way to say how he holds liverpool fc when you compare him to the likes of lucas neill who turned down benitez because west ham offered him more money. You can question his fibre all you want, the fact is he did take that paycut, a massive one, to join us. Liverpool were not in for him when he made those comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

is he done?

no.

but only for one reason, and one reason alone...there would be absolutely no point.

he's not up to the job, and as soon as new owners come in (please God, may new owners come in), then i would be behind replacing him. but right now, there is absolutely no point.

everyone will become even more disillusioned, unless someone like Kenny came into the breach on a short-term basis.

one thing that is apparent, is that Roy is completely in over his head with this.

he has no idea what he's doing.
    he has no idea how to get us to defend.
    he has no idea what his best team is.
    he has no idea how to get this team to impose itself.
    he has no idea how to grow a set of balls and have us go at games from the start.

he's an Englishman, who happened to be the flavour of the month, and got himself a plum job, because he's a nice chap who got Fulham to punch above their weight in Europe.

hindsight is a wonderful thing, but i think it's obvious to everyone that Rafa should never have left, and that, as Alan said, it has turned out to be the single stupidest, and may i add downright selfish, thing a football club has ever done (this is considering Rafa was a pain in the board's hole).

so, unless Kenny is a viable option, Roy will stay, purely because it makes no sense to get rid of him otherwise.

but i don't like it. because he has been found out. he has not set his team out right once. every single game, it's only been at half-time when we've gotten our arses into gear - yet he still won't change his mentality from the start of games.

in essence he's done, in fact he's never gotten started, but he'll be around a while longer due to circumstance.

our club is a f*cking farce.

SlickRic wrote:
    he's not up to the job...

What is the job, exactly? Champions League football? Surely no one expected that to happen with the way City have been splashing the cash and the departure of Mascherano?

Is it to get into Europe? Well he is up to that job as he guided Fulham to 7th spot in his first season there.

Is it to get a trophy? Well he got Fulham with their resources to a Europa League final.

So I'm not sure how he is not up to the job. This is 2010. Liverpool are not in a position to think about titles or Champions League football and need to simply stabilise and improve. This is something Hodgson is capable of doing. He knew how to get Fulham to defend and impose themselves.

Hansen got it spot on there on MOTD tonight. Blame the bloody players. They are not doing enough and their efforts have been a disgrace. It's the culture of the modern fans for some reason to stick up for the pampered prima donnas and instead go for the jugular concerning coaches with years of experience.

I agree with The Davestator's post above. Realism is required from Liverpool fans. Maybe the signing of Cole convinced fans that it could be like a few years back, going for titles and top 4 spots but the playing field has changed now. There is no more 'top four' and Rafa Benitez is gone and ain't coming back any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the job is to get us playing properly.

i'm fully aware we shouldn't be challenging for the title. in fact, i think our last manager had us punching above our weight.

but the last 13 games under Roy have made it quite apparent that he has no idea how to set out a top team; and yes we are still a top team, if you consider a top 6/8 team to be a top team.

the way we set about today, and for the majority of our matches has been an embarrasment. we're too deep all the time; letting opposition teams dictate everything. that is not the way a top team is supposed to go about their football.

and Roy has been f*cking delusional in most of his interviews so far.

yes, blame the players. but the manager can't get them playing, and you can't sack the team unfortunately.

1st step for Hodgson: play people in their f*cking actual positions (i.e. Meireles in midfield).

2nd step: drop Johnson, because he's a horrible liability right now. Fergie did it with Rooney, we can do the same for our RB.

3rd step: push the team ten yards further forward, and at least have us in the oppostion faces like we used to.

i'm frustrated, and a lot of what i say might be untenable and unrealistic, but the man has the heir of someone who is completely out of his depth when dealing with the catastrophe that is our football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Mascherano had spoken openly about signing a new deal in March/April. There was one manager in the world he would've stayed for, but we'd paid 10m to give him to the European Champions.

Bull. Mascherano wanted out the previous summer as well. Don't let your obsession with Benitez get in the way of the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

BTW, the fans who do think he should go, who do you think the replacement should be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Yes, today's result was unacceptable but Hodgson deserves more time. He is only in the job a wet week and still discovering his best team and players.

Benitez was given six years by the fans, they should give Hodgson at least 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hodgson is clueless and well out of his depth. He's an Englishman though and had a relatively decent season last year so the press wanked themselves into a frenzy over him.

And clearly there are a lot of people in this thread who have bought into the consequent press take on the matter hook, line and sinker. At the end of the day:
    1971–1972 Maidstone United Assistant Coach
    1976 Carshalton Athletic
    1976–1980 Halmstad
    1980–1982 Bristol City
    1983–1985 Örebro
    1985–1990 Malmö FF
    1990–1992 Neuchâtel Xamax
    1992–1995 Switzerland
    1995–1997 Internazionale
    1997–1998 Blackburn Rovers
    1999 Internazionale
    1999–2000 Grasshopper
    2000–2001 Copenhagen
    2001 Udinese
    2002–2004 United Arab Emirates
    2004–2005 Viking
    2006–2007 Finland
    2007–2010 Fulham
    2010– Liverpool

Halmstads

* Swedish football champions (2): 1976, 1979
    * Allsvenskan (2): 1976, 1979

Malmö FF

* Swedish football champions (2): 1986, 1988
    * Allsvenskan (4): 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989
    * Svenska Cupen (2): 1985–86, 1988–89

Inter Milan

* UEFA Cup Finalists (1): 1997

Copenhagen

* Danish Superliga (1): 2000–01
    * Danish Super Cup (1): 2001

Fulham

* UEFA Europa League Finalists (1): 2010

Individual

* LMA Manager of the Year (1): 2010

that is a distinctly underwhelming record. He is a journeyman and the challenge on hand here is simply beyond his capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ardent wrote: »
    Bull. Mascherano wanted out the previous summer as well. Don't let your obsession with Benitez get in the way of the truth.

No, it is not bull you fool. Mr.Alan has repeatedly provided quotes from Mascherano that prove his claim. You have seen them, and you ignore them. Why?

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    the job is to get us playing properly.

i'm fully aware we shouldn't be challenging for the title. in fact, i think our last manager had us punching above our weight.

but the last 13 games under Roy have made it quite apparent that he has no idea how to set out a top team; and yes we are still a top team, if you consider a top 6/8 team to be a top team.

the way we set about today, and for the majority of our matches has been an embarrasment. we're too deep all the time; letting opposition teams dictate everything. that is not the way a top team is supposed to go about their football.

and Roy has been f*cking delusional in most of his interviews so far.

yes, blame the players. but the manager can't get them playing, and you can't sack the team unfortunately.

1st step for Hodgson: play people in their f*cking actual positions (i.e. Meireles in midfield).

2nd step: drop Johnson, because he's a horrible liability right now. Fergie did it with Rooney, we can do the same for our RB.

3rd step: push the team ten yards further forward, and at least have us in the oppostion faces like we used to.

i'm frustrated, and a lot of what i say might be untenable and unrealistic, but the man has the heir of someone who is completely out of his depth when dealing with the catastrophe that is our football club.

If the job is to get Liverpool playing properly then it's a job he is more than capable of as he did it with Fulham with considerably less talented players. If that is your definition of a top team, and I don't dispute it, then I don't see why Hodgson should be cut adrift since he achieved that position with Fulham in his first year.

I can understand the frustration but I'd say look at Everton for example. I was reading comments from some of their fans talking doom and gloom, Moyes needs to go etc which amazed me. Sure enough they get a win and they are praising him again. It can happen with Liverpool too, especially considering their next opponents. I think it was SantryRed that said this in the match thread and he got a bit of ridicule but I'd be inclined to agree with him. We're not even a quarter of the way through the season.

If the job is to get Liverpool playing properly then it's a job he is more than capable of as he did it with Fulham with considerably less talented players. If that is your definition of a top team, and I don't dispute it, then I don't see why Hodgson should be cut adrift since he achieved that position with Fulham in his first year.

I can understand the frustration but I'd say look at Everton for example. I was reading comments from some of their fans talking doom and gloom, Moyes needs to go etc which amazed me. Sure enough they get a win and they are praising him again. It can happen with Liverpool too, especially considering their next opponents. I think it was SantryRed that said this in the match thread and he got a bit of ridicule but I'd be inclined to agree with him. We're not even a quarter of the way through the season.

The main problem with Hodgson MNG is his entire mentality and the way he sets out his teams - he has a mid table mentality and sets out his teams over defensively. Now thats fine if you're Fulham and he did a great job with them, but Liverpool are entitled to expect a bit more than a tea set up in fear of losing at home to Blackpool. As he has said himself he has had this way of playin for 30 years - he is not gonna change now. Its just not good enough for a big club like Liverpool. Yes he had a good run to the UEFA Cup Final but so died Steve McLaren a few years ago - that alone and being the media's flavour of them month shouldn't be enough to get him the Liverpool job. He was slumming it in Scandinavia before Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can Liverpool afford, I mean financially, to sack Hodgson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

event wrote: »
    BTW, the fans who do think he should go, who do you think the replacement should be?

Well I never wanted him in the first place but dunno if sacking him right away is the right answer.

Do I count?

Pellegrini or Hitzfeld....sigh.

flahavaj wrote: »
    The main problem with Hodgson MNG is his entire mentality and the way he sets out his teams - he has a mid table mentality and sets out his teams over defensively. Now thats fine if you're Fulham and he did a great job with them, but Liverpool are entitled to expect a bit more than a tea set up in fear of losing at home to Blackpool. As he has said himself he has had this way of playin for 30 years - he is not gonna change now. Its just not good enough for a big club like Liverpool. Yes he had a good run to the UEFA Cup Final but so died Steve McLaren a few years ago - that alone and being the media's flavour of them month shouldn't be enough to get him the Liverpool job. He was slumming it in Scandinavia before Liverpool.

I know he has a conservative mentality but again I would look towards the players. Torres - not producing at the moment for whatever reason. Babel - from what I've seen he has been poor. Gerrard - not showing his full potential, positional issues aside. Cole has looked poor. N'Gog - never rated him personally. Kuyt seems to work hard and I do like him, but generally I think the players have been poor and that they deserve the bulk of the blame.

I can see some don't rate Hodgson. Personally I do. I wanted him for the Ireland job when there was a slight chance he'd be available prior to going to Fulham. I think he would have been great. The jury's obviously still out on the guy but I think he can solidify the club in time. Whether he gets it or not, or whether he wants all the hassle, I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

I know he has a conservative mentality but again I would look towards the players. Torres - not producing at the moment for whatever reason. Babel - from what I've seen he has been poor. Gerrard - not showing his full potential, positional issues aside. Cole has looked poor. N'Gog - never rated him personally. Kuyt seems to work hard and I do like him, but generally I think the players have been poor and that they deserve the bulk of the blame.

I can see some don't rate Hodgson. Personally I do. I wanted him for the Ireland job when there was a slight chance he'd be available prior to going to Fulham. I think he would have been great. The jury's obviously still out on the guy but I think he can solidify the club in time. Whether he gets it or not, or whether he wants all the hassle, I'm not sure.

The Ireland job would have been perfect for him - he's the ideal manager for plucky, hardworking yet likeable underdogs. Liverpool should be looking for so much more.

On the players, undoubtedly there are lots of them playing terribley for Liverpool - you left Johnsen, Carragher and Poulsen off your list too.

But the main problem I can see is that they're just sitting back and allowing teams to play football in front of them - and that to me seems an intentional ploy that comes from the manager. Liverpool should not be that passive in any game, especially against the likes of Blackpool and Northampton at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

To be quite honest who would want the Liverpool job atm? It's a massive fire fighting job even at this stage. It's unfortunate but I don't think anybody the fans consider good enough would take it if they had their head screwed on. You can talk about it being outside Hodgson's capabilities but I think the manager that steadies the ship and gets it going forward again will be even more unheralded.

You're looking at a Roberto Martinez type imo. And that's not a bad thing either I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

why does everyone get so worked out about livepool. wtf

if they ever lose a game it seems no longer than 3 seconds after a final whistle threads pop up

rafa out!

will rafa go.?!!!

are pool finished!?

wtf.???!!!

can pool finish in top 4?!!

will roy survive...?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And clearly there are a lot of people in this thread who have bought into the consequent press take on the matter hook, line and sinker. At the end of the day:

that is a distinctly underwhelming record. He is a journeyman and the challenge on hand here is simply beyond his capabilities.

that is indeed correct, and the job is clearly wayy too much for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

if they ever lose a game it seems no longer than 3 seconds after a final whistle threads pop up

rafa out!

will rafa go.?!!!

are pool finished!?

wtf.???!!!

will roy survive...?

I'd hazard a guess it's because they're one of the largest supported clubs in the world. Just a wild guess that is.

rafa out!

will rafa go.?!!!

are pool finished!?

wtf.???!!!

will roy survive...?

Its hardly surprising that one of if not the most well supported team in these parts going through a pretty massive crisis is going to cause a bit of a stir.

Edit: You always do that Archi.:pac:

cson wrote: »
    To be quite honest who would want the Liverpool job atm? It's a massive fire fighting job even at this stage. It's unfortunate but I don't think anybody the fans consider good enough would take it if they had their head screwed on. You can talk about it being outside Hodgson's capabilities but I think the manager that steadies the ship and gets it going forward again will be even more unheralded.

You're looking at a Roberto Martinez type imo. And that's not a bad thing either I think.

Kenny Dalglish :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

rafa out!

will rafa go.?!!!

are pool finished!?

wtf.???!!!

will roy survive...?

ppl love talking about the big clubs ya see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

This whole playing players out of position thing shouldn't be a surprise to Liverpool fans. The last 'big' job he had was with Inter, and while there he single handedly managed to drive Roberto Carlos out of the club because he consistantly played him as a winger rather than in the backs where he belongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Daysha wrote: »
    This whole playing players out of position thing shouldn't be a surprise to Liverpool fans. The last 'big' job he had was with Inter, and while there he single handedly managed to drive Roberto Carlos out of the club because he consistantly played him as a winger rather than in the backs where he belongs.

You're such a Gah head :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056040476

Just out of interest I'd love to know why mine was closed. Iago obviously didn't read the reasons I gave. I also posted the original " are Liverpool and rafa done " thread last year and the amount of stick I got from Liverpool fans was ridiculous, and yet I was proven right.

In this case, I think hodgson is wrong man for the job, and that Liverpool are done.

Yes, and i actually PM'd Iago asking why it was closed, and to date i haven't gotten a reply. I didn't really think that Hodgson and Liverpool were done, but i didn't know why the question or the thread caused so much offence to warrant the thread closed and any further discussion of it deemed illegal.

In fact, i would still like an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rafa out!

will rafa go.?!!!

are pool finished!?

wtf.???!!!

will roy survive...?

Because Liverpool aren't used to being in the relegation zone after 7 matches. I know Everton fans wouldn't see it as a crisis, normal fare.

I do think given time, Rafa will be seen in a different light, even by many of his critics. Yes he made mistakes, but his signings for the first couple of years were spot on. Yes, he sold a couple he probably should have kept and bought a couple of lemons but overall, he was very good.

The problem was the funds dried up and that tied together with Keane and Acquilani, cost him. Funds were tight and his signings failed. Rafa has said that was because of lack of funds, i.e. no Barry together with Keane and he didn't get all the Alonso money he was promised. Ignoring that isn't doing the man justice.

As for Roy, his signings hardly inspire much confidence either. He took a gamble on Cole and I can't see it paying of. I suspect Poulsen is another Acquilani siituation. Promised funds from the Masch sale and he'll never see it. Welcome to Rafas' world.

Sacking him is complete madness but if we are still bottom 5/6 come the end of November and 13/14 games in..................

PS. Watching Curb your Enthusiasm on TV. Larry David reminds me of Roy!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Because Liverpool aren't used to being in the relegation zone after 7 matches. I know Everton fans wouldn't see it as a crisis, normal fare.

I do think given time, Rafa will be seen in a different light, even by many of his critics. Yes he made mistakes, but his signings for the first couple of years were spot on. Yes, he sold a couple he probably should have kept and bought a couple of lemons but overall, he was very good.

The problem was the funds dried up and that tied together with Keane and Acquilani, cost him. Funds were tight and his signings failed. Rafa has said that was because of lack of funds, i.e. no Barry together with Keane and he didn't get all the Alonso money he was promised. Ignoring that isn't doing the man justice.

As for Roy, his signings hardly inspire much confidence either. He took a gamble on Cole and I can't see it paying of. I suspect Poulsen is another Acquilani siituation. Promised funds from the Masch sale and he'll never see it. Welcome to Rafas' world.

Sacking him is complete madness but if we are still bottom 5/6 come the end of November and 13/14 games in..................

PS. Watching Curb your Enthusiasm on TV. Larry David reminds me of Roy!

and when exactly were Everton in the relegation zone at this stage of the season. :rolleyes: them days are long gone boyo.

And its not just because of the Blackpool debacle, its practically every time Liverpool seem to lose a game or whatnot someone pops up a thread, but work away shur..!

Its more of a sign of a sinking club than anything else if you looked beneath the surface (pardon the pun:eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

rafa out!

will rafa go.?!!!

are pool finished!?

wtf.???!!!

will roy survive...?

Probably down to the same thing that renders you incapable of common sense or rational thought when posting on anything Liverpool related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

and when exactly were Everton in the relegation zone at this stage of the season. :rolleyes: them days are long gone boyo.

you might just have egg on your face after that comment if win the derby. itll be in the relegation zone with EIGHT games gone, not 7

And its not just because of the Blackpool debacle, its practically every time Liverpool seem to lose a game or whatnot someone pops up a thread, but work away shur..!

Its more of a sign of a sinking club than anything else if you looked beneath the surface (pardon the pun:eek:)

Look, if you can't grasp why this is a big deal......................

It isn't Liverpool fans putting up these threads btw. We are perfectly aware of the plight we are in.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

and apart from that, bloody lol!

youre ONE PLACE above liverpool

on goal difference

Helix wrote: »
    you might just have egg on your face after that comment if win the derby. itll be in the relegation zone with EIGHT games gone, not 7

FFS, considering they were in the relegation zone yesterday, I rest my case.

K-9 wrote: »
    FFS, considering they were in the relegation zone yesterday, I rest my case.

i wouldnt put a whole lot of weight on what he says tbh, he tends to make particularly bizarre statements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Helix wrote: »
    i wouldnt put a whole lot of weight on what he says tbh, he tends to make particularly bizarre statements

And welches

Advertisement