Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Hodgson and Liverpool done?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,324 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The Muppet wrote: »
    In Al's world thats what happens when a player signs for Liverpool. Insua, Johnson, Kuyt, lucas all became world class in that manner .:)

that compares to the parallell universe you two are posting from where torres was the best striker in the world before liverpool signed him, im sure i remember barca, inter, manu and chelsea falling over themselves to get him before liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Pretty clear you have little idea what you're talking about. Benitez will have little say in what transfers Inter make / don't make - similar to Mourinho, and the vast majority of Inter managers before them.
    Oh really, is that why they went after Dirk Kuyt and Javier Mascherano?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Cyrus wrote: »
    that compares to the parallell universe you two are posting from where torres was the best striker in the world before liverpool signed him, im sure i remember barca, inter, manu and chelsea falling over themselves to get him before liverpool
    No one said he was the best before he came. But for anyone to assume that he wasn't an excellent striker or well-known as such in spain prior to his arrival is way off the mark.

Just because Sky Sports got wind of him when he arrived doesn't mean he was suddenly a proven striker. Life exists outside the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I never mentioned Torres though he was certainly a very high profile player before he signed for Liverpool, He was linked to all the top clubs for a year or two before he moved to Liverpool.

There was a question mark over his consistancy and Rafa gave him his chance to prove himself. To claim Rafa moulded him from potential into a world class striker doesn't ring true when you look at the complete picture .

I never mentioned Torres though he was certainly a very high profile player before he signed for Liverpool, He was linked to all the top clubs for a year or two before he moved to Liverpool.

There was a question mark over his consistancy and Rafa gave him his chance to prove himself. To claim Rafa moulded him from potential into a world class striker doesn't ring true when you look at the complete picture .

every decent footballer gets linked to every top club, the point is until money is put on the table its all nonsense, and no one was prepared to risk over £20m quid on him apart from rafa.

Liverpool provided him the platform for him to prove himself as a worldclass striker, and he did so, partly due to raw talent and partly due to the people around him

partly due to the people around him
    ..like the Liverpool medical team who are mixing a fresh batch of papier maché as we speak.

..like the Liverpool medical team who are mixing a fresh batch of papier maché as we speak.

brilliant

thanks for that incredibly witty addition to the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Pretty clear you have little idea what you're talking about. Benitez will have little say in what transfers Inter make / don't make - similar to Mourinho, and the vast majority of Inter managers before them.

Mourinho was very much in charge of all transfer dealings in his time at Inter. It was one of the main persuasive arguments Morrati used in an attempt to keep him at Inter, saying he won't have the same free reign under Perez at Real that he enjoys with himself. Morrati though was very much in control in the Mancini era and througout the 90's, and it's probably too early to tell how much of an influence Rafa will on potential signings, although the fact he hasn't brought his usual Spanish legion of summer signings could hint that the main man is back in control.

brilliant

thanks for that incredibly witty addition to the thread
    Glad you approve. I thought it was brilliant too. I'm so happy we agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Hodgson should stay.

By all accounts, I can't see how anyone could have viewed this year as anything other than building a new foundation at LFC.

Realistically, there was no way they were going to pip two of City, Spurs, Arsenal and United to the Champions league spot.

Hogson won't get Liverpool relegated and soon enough it'll click for him. the fans just need to be patient and wait for that to happen.

Realistically, it doesn't make a difference whether Liverpool finish 5th or 15th this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

gosplan wrote: »
    Realistically, it doesn't make a difference whether Liverpool finish 5th or 15th this year.

At 800k a place I'd say it matters to a cash strapped club for that reason alone.

realistically it does

letting rafa go was stupid, not appointing kenny when he did was stupid and appointing hodgson instead was a ridiculous choice,

unless we get some owners that give a fig about the club we are in serious danger

every decent footballer gets linked to every top club, the point is until money is put on the table its all nonsense, and no one was prepared to risk over £20m quid on him apart from rafa.

Liverpool provided him the platform for him to prove himself as a worldclass striker, and he did so, partly due to raw talent and partly due to the people around him

Rafas was known to take the Gamble on expensive players where other managers wouldn't the name Aquilani springs to mind.

With Torres the gamble paid off, It doesn't mean he improved him as a player though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

With Torres the gamble paid off, It doesn't mean he improved him as a player though.

Torres has acknowledged that he did on numerous occassions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hodgson should stay.

By all accounts, I can't see how anyone could have viewed this year as anything other than building a new foundation at LFC.

He is not building anything.

We've bought a 30 year old, two 29 year olds, a 28 year old and a 27 year old this summer.

We now have an extremely unbalanced squad, and an old one.

The players who do give me hope for the future - like Shelvey, for instance, don't seem to interest Hodgson.

Rafas was known to take the Gamble on expensive players where other managers wouldn't the name Aquilani springs to mind.

thats a quality post muppet, name the other expensive signings that he gambled on? compared to say ferguson ?

To make it somewhat comparable lets make it players that cost over £15m.

Rubik. wrote: »
    Torres has acknowledged that he did on numerous occassions.

dont mind what torres said, the baiters posting here know better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You really haven't a clue or you are just winding people up. Do you see the upper body of Torres, he wasn't built like that when he was at Atletico. That came when he joined Liverpool so that he could play against the more physical defenders in the Premier League. Its made a huge difference to the player and the man thats ultimately responsible for that is the manager of Liverpool during this development and that was Rafa Benitez.

I don't like Benitez one bit but he was/is a very good manager. I do think he had come to the end at Liverpool fc though. I'd pointed out how long it took Ferguson to succeed at Manchester United, Benitez looked like he was on the same path but the sudden dive in their form last season falls at the feet of the manager and you couldn't trust him to improve them again after that imo.

thats a quality post muppet, name the other expensive signings that he gambled on? compared to say ferguson ?

There's only about 2 signings over that figure. Johnson and Aquilani.

Johnson has a decent first 4 months last season. Fast forward a year and he was directly responsible for both goals that led to a Blackpool win at anfield.

Unless you want to count Robbie Keane... Would understand if you don't want to talk about that though.

• Advertisement

There's only about 2 signings over that figure. Johnson and Aquilani.

Johnson has a decent first 4 months last season. Fast forward a year and he was directly responsible for both goals that led to a Blackpool win at anfield.

Unless you want to count Robbie Keane... Would understand if you don't want to talk about that though.

why? rafa saw he didnt fit and shipped him out, which now looks like a master stroke given 'arry doesnt want him either,

does your post not highlight to you how restricted benitez was when it came to paying top dollar?

compare that to berbatov 30m, anderson 15m, veron 28m, carrick 18m, hargreaves 17m, nani 15m,

nani and berbatov have shown some form at the start of this season, but none can yet be regarded as stellar buys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He is not building anything.

We've bought a 30 year old, two 29 year olds, a 28 year old and a 27 year old this summer.

We now have an extremely unbalanced squad, and an old one.

The players who do give me hope for the future - like Shelvey, for instance, don't seem to interest Hodgson.

At this stage, I really think you can boil this whole debate down to one question:

"Who is paying close attention since Hodgson arrived?"

Robbie Keane

Happy Now?
    why? rafa saw he didnt fit and shipped him out, which now looks like a master stroke given 'arry doesnt want him either,

Master stroke? Buying a player for £18 million and selling him five months later for £12 million. I'm afraid its master strokes such as this that has liverpool where they are today.

does your post not highlight to you how restricted benitez was when it came to paying top dollar?

compare that to berbatov 30m, anderson 15m, veron 28m, carrick 18m, hargreaves 17m, nani 15m,

nani and berbatov have shown some form at the start of this season, but none can yet be regarded as stellar buys
    You left out one big difference though. All have winner's medals to their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Rafa should have known keane wouldn't fit in. You can't just 'try and see what happens'!

And all would walk into the current Liverpool squad if fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Seriosuly man, you're a good poster, either you're on a wind up or you've been hanging around the likes of Boggles & The Muppet too long, but that logic is beyond retarded.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Seriosuly man, you're a good poster, either you're on a wind up or you've been hanging around the likes of Boggles & The Muppet too long, but that logic is beyond retarded.

He's only a good poster if he toes the line eh AL, He's not the one trying to shift the emphasis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He's only a good poster if he toes the line eh AL, He's not the one trying to shift the emphasis.

This +1 every ****ing time Al has to mention a United player in any discussion.

Muppet, He's a good poster if he doesn't resort to retarded logic to have a go at a team.

So winners medals make a difference to whether or not a signing is judged a good one.

Using this logic I could claim Traore was a better signing for Liverpool than Fernando Torres.

Its retarded, and he's better than that. You on the other hand, aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rafa should have known keane wouldn't fit in. You can't just 'try and see what happens'!

So should Harry by that reasoning!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

cson wrote: »
    I think the most comical decision made regarding Liverpool was allowing Gillette & hicks to buy the club. And that's from both perspectives.
    +1. Thats exactly the problem.

David Moore is the one who has a lot to answer for.

Muppet, He's a good poster if he doesn't resort to retarded logic to have a go at a team.

So winners medals make a difference to whether or not a signing is judged a good one.

Using this logic I could claim Traore was a better signing for Liverpool than Fernando Torres.

Its retarded, and he's better than that. You on the other hand, aren't.

He wasn't the one having ago and trying to take the thread off topic in the process.

Thanks AL I lub u 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

KeithAFC wrote: »
    +1. Thats exactly the problem.

David Moore is the one who has a lot to answer for.

David Moore is innocent David Moores on the other hand....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

dude.. stop copying me! ;)

stop being a tard & embed the video then! :D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

K-9 wrote: »
    So should Harry by that reasoning!

Keane was fantastic when he first came back to us was huge in helping us stay up. Money well spent

stop being a tard & embed the video then! :D :P

embed emshmed.

Its pretty powerful stuff. It would have put the icing on the cake if Kenny had delivered the final message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

letting rafa go was stupid, not appointing kenny when he did was stupid and appointing hodgson instead was a ridiculous choice

I thought that they shouldn't have let Rafa go but you'd be in a very small minority of Liverpool supporters that were saying that at the time.

Hodgson was a good choice. Lot's of experience and relative success.

Appointing Daglish would have been a stupid move. 10 years out of management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How come John Aldridge is everywhere now? Open the paper, there he is, turn on SSN, there he is, he was even on the Radio last week on the Today FM morning show. Getting sick and tired of seeing him everywhere :mad:

sorry for OT btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

No

7 games into the season is wwaaayyyy too early to be even thinking bout sacking Hodgson. 14/20 games then maybe time to go if situation is the same and no signs of improvement. People soon forget that he was an in demand manger for the success he had with Fulham last year.

A good manager does not become a bad one in 7 games.

Liverpool have been poor all season and need to get the collective arses in gear (Manager and Players >>>(...Torres I'm looking at you :| )), or else mid table obscurity is all reds fans can hope for this year. Hopefully Roy can turn it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Maybe tonight puts things in perspective, for both Roy and Rafa.

I've a feeling Roy has been unlucky when he hit the big time, Blackburn and Inter, just being the right man at a big club, but the wrong circumstances.

He brought Fulham as far as he could but sure Chris Coleman did that too, barring a UEFA Cup final!

If things pan out over the next couple of months or so, he may have a right crack at it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Gameover-web-final.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Gameover-web-final.jpg

nice to see your fully concentrating on your team playing on the box!

Trilla wrote: »

Hardly a shock tbf

Trilla wrote: »

Multitasking ftw

Roy is done. Liverpool ain't.

Advertisement