Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bb in meath area

• 03-10-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

anyone have any ideas for broadband in the moynalty area?
    have O2 and pings are up and down.
    no dsl from eircom
    tried net1 and no line of sight
    3 are a waste of time

ive been looking all over the net trying to find other carriers but cant find anything in my area so any ideas?

cheers

Comments

If you cant get DSL (Eircom) the more than likely you can't get UPC (But check their website just incase http://upc.ie/broadband/eight check at bottom of page)

Looks like mobile/wireless is your only hope so dont expect good/reliable pings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

was hoping some locals on here might know of a fixed wireless service which might work. doesnt look like im getting anything through eircom line.

the pings on the O2 during the day are fine but evening is another story. i have spoken to O2 and it seems its due to the cell being overused (too many connections) in the evenings. that is the downside of this countries love afair with mobile wireless. the infrastructure is not capable and planning restrictions are not helping. technology hub of europe my ass.

so yeah i know the ifs and whys of mobile 'broad'band thats why im looking for something else.

i realise of course that there may not be any options but i am just asking in case someone knows something i dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Have you looked into why eircom won't give you DSL? If you can find a local eircom linesman and ask him what the story is, it could pay good dividends. I know some people who were stuck on a pairgain until they saw a linesman working on a nearby road. Needless to say, by the end of the day their line was clear and they had DSL in a couple of weeks.

If you can't get Net1 then your options are very very limited (read: none at all) That's why I'd hound eircom first.

the reason given was that the line was too long 8km from nearest exchange. im not sure what exactly the specs are for DSL so i took their word for it. i am not 8km from the exchange (i would say around 4 -5) but i have been told that the line doen not take a direct route.

anyway unless someone has some other ideas i may be stuck with O2

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

8km is indeed the limit, but it's rare enough to have lines longer than that. If you were 4 or 5 km then you shouldn't have had problems. If there's lots of phone extension lines and sockets in use in your house, that can cause you to fail the test if you're on the borderline. I was once at the edge of the limit when eircom bumped up the then limit to 6.5km (78dB attenuation) and I got a "may be suitable" only when I disconnected the extensions. The limit is now 8km so the line always passes with "may be suitable" now.

• Advertisement

if i drive to the local exchange its 4 - 5 km but i was told the line length is 8km. do eircom fiddle with the lines if you request? i was on the phone to them quite a few times trying to get it going as they sent me a modem saying it may work but the people i was talking to didnt seem interested.
    btw is there an easy way to find out who the local engineer is?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

Have you tried digiweb, i heard in the past that the cover kells with wireless from out at the tower of lloyd but not sure how reliable that is. Do you have LOS to the tower, how far from it would you be? Perhaps others here with more knowledge of that area or digiweb can give more info or call them.

EDIT: Having looked at a map your probably too far away anyway, sorry.

No dont have line of sight to Kells, bit too far imo. for now i think my best course of action, as suggested, is to hound eircom. I have been back onto them asking about it and have been told that there is now a request in for bb service. not sure exactly what that means but i guess when numbers of requests go up they might do something about it. I will concentrate now on trying to find the local linesman and bribe him :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

wires wrote: »
    the reason given was that the line was too long 8km from nearest exchange. im not sure what exactly the specs are for DSL so i took their word for it. i am not 8km from the exchange (i would say around 4 -5) but i have been told that the line doen not take a direct route.

anyway unless someone has some other ideas i may be stuck with O2

cheers

my line is 4.1km and my modem is syncing at 5120/512 no drops

well i tried testing dialup and get 28.8k connection so i guess that means i am not on my own line?

could someone please explain what sort of line i have etc. what is a pairgain. be as technical as u like, i should be able to understand it.
    i dont want to go harassing the linesman if i dont know what im talking about...if i can get informed then can i go to work on these guys. have noticed a slight noise on the line in heavy rain so i was thinking i could put a call in about that and then tackle the linesman when he calls out???

• Advertisement
Advertisement