Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaway (Delivery Guy)

Options
  • 03-10-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone out there do takeaway deliveries?

I was in babysitting last night while the wife was out on the lash!

I ordered food for delivery and there was a €2.50 delivery charge.

I've got absolutely no issue with that.

When the delivery guy arrived the total was €12.50 inc delivery

I gave €20 and he gave me a €5 note back and looked at me. After a second or two of silence (with my hand still outstretched) he dug into his pocket and pulled out the other €2.50 change.

Was I wrong here???? Is it really expected that I pay another €2.50 totaling €5 over the €10 cost of the meal for delivery/tip?

Does the delivery guy not get the delivery charge?

In this day and age a 50% charge to get food delivered would be a bit steep!

Yours curiously

Garvan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Some of the people working as deliverers are just chancers, and will do what happened you, or will take ages counting it out, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Fair play to you for waiting for the rest of your change.

I bet 9/10 of people are too embarrassed and let him keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Or the old trick, ill just run to the car and get your change hoping you'll say keep it. Ill wait when they get cheeky like that. Ill normally round it up to something but it will be my choice not theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

I used to hate this, paying by card online has solved it, if they're really quick i'll throw them something on top of the delivery charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

op spot on - cheeky fecker looking for a tip on top of delivery charge.

Always found that guys delivering Indian takeaways were the most mannerly of the lot and if you tipped as little as .50c they were very thankful and polite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

op spot on - cheeky fecker looking for a tip on top of delivery charge.

Always found that guys delivering Indian takeaways were the most mannerly of the lot and if you tipped as little as .50c they were very thankful and polite.

Ya they are normally the best though that is because you are paying nearly 20 quid for an Indian delivery for 1. They are ridiculously overpriced. I get my fair share of take-aways and tbh the people that are the least grateful of a tip are normally Irish. Irrespective I normally tip around 1.50/2 quid (normally just buying for one). Anything less is a bit stingy in fairness. I'm not giving an adult a tip of 50 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I agree completely, and they also don't seem to expect a tip like some other delivery drivers.

What's the etiquette for this? I usually end up tipping €2 when I get a delivery, even if I pay online by card. I guess I'm a bit afraid they'll spit in my food if I don't!

Advertisement