Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I just being paranoid...

• 03-10-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Buying a new road bike at the moment.Have a few bikes in mind that are within my budget... some of the lower priced ones have steel forks and the more higher priced bikes have mainly carbon forks...

Obviously carbon is lighter and seems to be the way forward with road bikes. But after reading a few reviews online and hearing a few stories, i'm not sure if I want a carbon fork.

Considering that i'm going to be dishing out my own hard earned cash, I obviously want the best bike that I can afford.

But I keep hearing about how carbon forks can fail. This is making me slightly paranoid about buying a bike with carbon parts...

So basically is it just me being paranoid? Or are carbon forks really a bit dodgey?
    Should I only use carbon parts on more higher range bikes?
    I'm spending 600-700 euro... At this price range should I avoid carbon?

Any advice or experiences to share would be great :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So basically is it just me being paranoid?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭theflash800

Ok I guess i was just being slightly paranoid...

However what are the life of these forks like?... Do they have a shorter life span than steel forks? about how long should I expect to get out of a carbon fork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

+1 on the paranoia.

Forks have to meet safety standards and rigorous testing, buy a decent brand and you'll be fine. I've been using Carbon forks for almost 10 years and never had a problem, never give them a second thought.

Ask the shop/online retailer if their frame/fork meets or exceeds the EN 14781 standard, if it doesn't don't buy it. That way you will have bought peace of mind.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

However what are the life of these forks like?... Do they have a shorter life span than steel forks? about how long should I expect to get out of a carbon fork?

In theory, carbon should last longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

Hi There,
    Most roadbikes in the €600-800 region, have carbon forks with aluminium steerer tubes...this is where the Handlebar stem clamps to the fork.
    So relax, your new bike should almost certainly have an alloy steerer tube:)
    I have 7 years on a Trek carbon fork, with an alloy steerer tube, without problems:D

More expensive €1.000+ bikes tend to have full carbon forks, ie the steerer tube is made of carbon. These can fail, if handled incorrectly.
    Some unskilled people, tighten the handlebar stem bolts too much. This can cause a stress riser in the carbon matrix, usually with unfortunate consequences:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Hi There,
    Most roadbikes in the €600-800 region, have carbon forks with aluminium steerer tubes...this is where the Handlebar stem clamps to the fork.
    I have 7 years on a Trek carbon fork, with an alloy steerer tube, without problems:D

More expensive €1.000+ bikes tend to have full carbon forks, ie the steerer tube is made of carbon. These can fail, if handled incorrectly.
    Some unskilled people, tighten the handlebar stem bolts too much. This can cause a stress riser in the carbon matrix, usually with unfortunate consequences:eek:

and now i have to check my forks with a torque wrench at 11pm on a sunday night.........!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Indeed, there's absolutely no need to worry about the alloy steerer on your Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

If you end up with complete carbon fork then I find the Ritchey Torque Key brilliant. If you just want to fit the bars/stem or anything else that takes 5Nm then twist it and forget it. BTW the allen key bit also comes out (eventually) so you can fit 5mm bits or any other size you got.

Advertisement