Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chancing their arm???

• 03-10-2010 6:02pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a PC which I'm looking to sell, so today decided to put it up on a few sites, the usual, Adverts, Gumtree, Donedeal etc..

Put up the ad, pics attached etc and my phone no on 2 of the sites.

Had the advert up on one site literally about 5 minutes and I get a phone call from this guy asking about the PC. Great I thought, that was quick, so he asks a few questions about the PC, specs, confirms OS, all good..

Then he asks, - "do I fix PC's?"

Me - "Emmm, yeah I do as a matter of fact"
    Him - "Great, now I have a problem with a PC here at home...."
    Me - "Eh ok"
    Him - "Its not connecting to internet after I install antiviral software.. blah blah blah etc"
    Me - "Ahh ok, Antivirus software.."
    Him - "No no, Anti Viral software"
    Me - "Well err, ok, well it could be a few things etc, is there anyone nearby who could sort that for you, might be easier when in front of the PC..
    Him - "Yeah there is a guy nearby, but I dont want to be paying him, listen I have someone here at the moment, so I tell you what, have a think about it and I will call back in about 10 mins and we can try a few things"
    Me - "Ehh ok, bye"

Needless to say, I am not being taken for a mug by some cheapskate who thinks I'm going to give him free support over the phone, so I decide I wont be taking his call when he calls back.

15 missed calls later, and he eventually gives up..

Was I missing something here or did that guy just have a serious neck on him and was taking the complete and utter p*ss by expecting me to do this for a complete stranger?

He obviously had no intention of buying the PC, just chancing his arm as he wasnt prepared to pay someone to fix the problem he had created with his PC..

Anyone experience something like that before?

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

haha brilliant.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Could be a bored troll tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I always think of Joey on the phone to Ross when Ross stuck in the leather pants... giving terrible advice that Ross blindly followed.

Just suggest he deletes or renamed a few key ini or exe files in the Windows folder. Tell him that worked for you. When his PC 'splodes say "I'm just selling it for a friend, don't really know much. If your PC is not working don't forget I have one for sale?"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Cabaal wrote: »
    Could be a bored troll tbh

me or him????

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

3DataModem wrote: »
    I always think of Joey on the phone to Ross when Ross stuck in the leather pants... giving terrible advice that Ross blindly followed.

Just suggest he deletes or renamed a few key ini or exe files in the Windows folder. Tell him that worked for you. When his PC 'splodes say "I'm just selling it for a friend, don't really know much. If your PC is not working don't forget I have one for sale?"

classic!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 itmonkey

Brilliant, I'm gonna have to try that myself sometime. Maybe if I'm having car trouble I'll look for a dude selling a car and see if he knows anything abot my gammy engine pistons!

Advertisement