Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice and help on a Gaming pc build help

Options
  • 03-10-2010 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I have been thinking and trying to make up my mind
    Am I going to buy or build a new gaming PC?? I have looked at all the prebuilded PCs with Dell and others makers and they are looking for a lot of crazy money.
    So that’s why my mind is moving more towards building my own PC.
    I have no experiences but looking at Board.ie everybody says it is easy.
    The games I Love to play are MS Flight Simulators, Total War games and I want to be able to play them at full graphics.
    I’ve been saving like mad so I should have around 1600euro to spend and that’s from the cool PC case to about 8 USB ports.
    Please take a look at my two options below

option 1

Best Value NZXT Phantom White Enthusiast Full Tower no PSU
    Best Value 750W 80+ Dual 12v V2.2 HE PSU
    KFA2 GeForce GTX 460 1GB PCI-Express HDMI Limited OC Edition
    StarTech.com 4 Port USB 2.0 PCI Express Card - USB adapter
    StarTech.com 7 Port PCI USB Adapter Card
    Trust 5.1 Surround Soundcard SC-5100
    Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green SATA300 64MB
    Kingston HyperX 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz / PC3-12800 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2HGz AM3 Black Edition Processor
    Asus M4A87TD/USB3 AMD 870, AM3, 4DDR3, PCI-Ex16, RAID, 8CHHD, USB3 & SATA6, ATX
    Sony 24x DVD-RW/RAM SATA Silver Bare Drive
    Western Digital 250GB ScorpioBlue SATA-300 5400rpm 8mb
    Akasa Intel LGA 775/1156 Copper Core heatsink with 92mm
    Samsung SyncMaster B2230N 21.5" Widescreen 1920 x 1080 5MS VGA LCD Monitor

option 2

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz
    Corsair Dominator GT 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 16000C8 2000MHz Triple Channel Kit
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card Supplied Assasins Creed Game
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
    Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black
    Iiyama ProLite E2208HDD 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black
    Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA-II 64MB Cache - OEM
    Cooler Master GX 750W Power Supply
    Asus Xonar DS 7.1 PCI Sound Card
    titan Fenrir Evo CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/LGA1156/LGA1366/AMD K8
    LG GE20NU11 20x External DVD±RW Drive - Black
    Belkin 5-Port USB 2.0 PCI
    Akasa AK-178-BL 12" Cold Cathode - Blue

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Jackman, I've removed some of the formatting from your post as it was making it very hard for others to read.

1. I'm pretty sure font tags don't work here anyway. At least not in most skins.
    2. I don't think numeric colour tags work either.
    3. Size tags do, unfortunately. They're there for occasional emphasis only; a wall of text all blown up above normal size (Size 2) is a nightmare to read.
    4. Try not to use very dark colours too much. Especially Black!! Many users use dark skins like Cloud where normal text is shown as white; forcing text colour to Black overrides this and makes the text invisible on those dark skins!! :o

Please try to avoid the above in future posts; it looks a bit silly to ask for help then make your post impossible to read! :o:p

I'll get back to you about those builds later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Build 1:
    -Who are KFA2? Anyway, it's dearer than some of the others available. If you need to overclock, you can do it yourself and save €30.
    -Very Bad PSU (pick this towards the end when you have GPU and processor decided)
    -Ram. That a triple channel kit. Am3 uses dual channel.
    -Harddrives. You have a green hard drive which is fine for storage, but then you have a laptop drive too...?
    -Heatsink. I'm not sure about the quality, but it's designed for intel CPUs!
    -Sound card. Do you need one?

Build 2:
    -Bad power supply
    -Soundcard

Do you need that many USB ports?

For that kind of money, I'd consider getting an SSD. Maybe consider multiple hard drive in RAID or weight a little more funds towards the monitor. I think a lot of those samsungs make buzzing noises, so I'd scan a lot of reviews before deciding.
    Expect to spend the most of €100 on a PSU for this machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jackman1

ok i have spent most of the day in www.hardwareversand.de. trying to work out the best set up for me and this is what i came up with and the total
    cost 1935euro and that everthing :confused: may have to save a few more euro.

IN WIN Griffin Midi Tower Black / black, without power supply
    Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard
    Antec True Power 750W New blue LED
    Terratec Aureon 5.1 PCI
    Belkin Network adapter 1000BaseTX 10/100/1000 Mbps, PCI
    Cooler Master Hyper N520, all base
    Edifier 5.1 System M1550
    Samsung P237
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460 - 1GB SC, Ext Exhaust, PCI-Express
    Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, internal, black
    6GB Kit Corsair DDR3 PC1600 C9 Classic
    6GB Kit Corsair DDR3 PC1600 C9 Classic
    Saitek X52 Flight Control System
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB Western Digital5000AAKB
    Intel Core i7-930 Box 8192Kb, LGA1366
    Pyra Roccat Gaming Mouse
    TEAC DV-W522GMA black
    please change anything if you think it is poor or no good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I'm not a builder or anything but do you really need gaming keyboards and mouses?

Couldn't you just get cheap ones and they'll do, I mean a cheap mouse and keyboard are about 30ish euro altogether and that's less than the price of your mouse and ha;f the price of your keyboard.

well Chaotic_Forces
    I can go for the cheap but the way i am looking at it is there is a long dark winter ahead of us and I don't realiy go out every weekend and blow my money on drink and this i hope is going to last me years. and come on looks are a must i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

jackman1 wrote: »
    well Chaotic_Forces
    I can go for the cheap but the way i am looking at it is there is a long dark winter ahead of us and I don't realiy go out every weekend and blow my money on drink and this i hope is going to last me years. and come on looks are a must i think.

Yeah mate, I understand that. But if you're struggling to get a lot of extra cash up on top of what you have (well not literally struggling but you get what I mean), then it might be an idea to cut the corners on things that wouldn't be that important.
    It is up to you but IMO I can't see why you'd need gaming keyboard and a mouse right away. Unless you have the games that use them, then wouldn't it be better to play fun games first, then get the gaming stuff then getting the high price games instead of leaving yourself with a great gaming keyboard and mouse but not games to take advantage?

Roughly €1225 including monitor and shipping, OS and peripherals not included:

HWVS031010.png

Best bang-for-buck DDR3 out there BTW :D I would have included an extra 200/230mm fan as the extra one really kicks the Phantom into high-gear but I don't see any on HWVS :(

At least this way you have the remaining ~€370 to spend on keyboards, mice, flight yokes, OS, software... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Nice, an 800W PSU for that price.
    Here's a translated review for anybody that's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Go with the above build, great system.

Also for an extra charge hardwareversand will build it for you, which is handy if you want to get going right away, or you can just stick all the shiny parts together yourself.

If you are ultra super lazy, get windows with it and for an extra charge they'll put windows (get the english version) on it and activate windows, which is like a little garuntee that the pc will just work when u switch it on no issues

Checked that review before I put it on the list ;) Not a bad price for a good-quality 1kW-peak PSU (only reason its not sold as a true 1kW unit is that rail regulation might get too close to 5% at that output) with 80Plus Silver efficiency above ~200W draw :D

• Advertisement

Well lads i'm going to order what Solitaire has on the list i just added windows7 and the flight yokes i will leave the keyboards, mice for some other day. Solitaire should i get that 200/230mm fan on some other site or just leave it ?. And will i have a go at the build myself i would be interested in trying it ???.
    Thanks to all the lads who for good advice;)

Try to find something that size elsewhere but don't spend too much on it! It should help boost chipset and graphics card cooling nicely ;)

what fan should i get ???

hardwareversand are hard to understand when ordering off them and having to go into the bank tomorrow to get a money transfer is:( i have to leave work. why do they not except credit cards :confused:. i'm sure more guys would buy more gear off them if they did :rolleyes:.

Advertisement