Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine after a year of science?

Options
  • 03-10-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm currently in 1st year of Undenominated Science in NUIG but am thinking of switching to medicine next year. I'm hoping to repeat the HPAT as that's where I fell down with points. I was wondering if doing one year of science and then switching to medicine counts as dropping out of a degree. Will that mean that I have to pay the full fees for a new degree as normally happens when someone drops out of a degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I'm currently in 1st year of Undenominated Science in NUIG but am thinking of switching to medicine next year. I'm hoping to repeat the HPAT as that's where I fell down with points. I was wondering if doing one year of science and then switching to medicine counts as dropping out of a degree. Will that mean that I have to pay the full fees for a new degree as normally happens when someone drops out of a degree?

You'll have to pay full fees for the first year, and after that you'll be back on the free fees scheme :) Just to let you know though, if fees are reintroduced in the next year, because you'd be technically starting a completely new degree, you'd fall under the 'reintroduced fees' scheme, not the previous 'free fee' scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

In some colleges u have to confirm attendance after christmas, ie prove you haven't dropped out so the college can claim fees from the gov.....MAYBE if u leave before chrimbo you might only have to pay half fees in 1st med, im just presuming this could be the case never heard of it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

spagboll wrote: »
    In some colleges u have to confirm attendance after christmas, ie prove you haven't dropped out so the college can claim fees from the gov.....MAYBE if u leave before chrimbo you might only have to pay half fees in 1st med, im just presuming this could be the case never heard of it tbh

This is the case is some colleges, but worth checking for NUIG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Are you reapplying through the CAO? If so you're counted as starting first year again and have to pay fees. If you mean "switching" as in an internal transfer within the college...I've heard mixed things about it, I'd be really interested to know if its possible to count first science as similar to premed and just swap. You'd definitely need enough LC/HPAT points to get in though, as in you'd need what the requirements for 2011 are.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

I know someone making exactly this switch in nuig, but shes in first year this year too and has no idea how the fees will work. It can be done though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Pamplemousse19

Are you reapplying through the CAO? If so you're counted as starting first year again and have to pay fees. If you mean "switching" as in an internal transfer within the college...I've heard mixed things about it, I'd be really interested to know if its possible to count first science as similar to premed and just swap. You'd definitely need enough LC/HPAT points to get in though, as in you'd need what the requirements for 2011 are.
    Well premed is practically the same as first science in NUIG. They're in all the same classes as us(except for maths which they don't do!). They also go into hospitals a bit and learn some other basic skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Well premed is practically the same as first science in NUIG. They're in all the same classes as us(except for maths which they don't do!). They also go into hospitals a bit and learn some other basic skills.

I know, I just did it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hopesarehigh

Well, I thought I was the only one. You might be pleasantly surprised.. You are basically doing pre-med now! Your best bet is to work hard for now, and find out when the CAO opens what the college's procedure is, directly from them :D. fees@nuigalway.ie

best of luck!

:pac:If it's for you, it won't pass you.:pac:

Advertisement