Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco's denial of Christmas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Wicknight wrote: »
    No not in this case, they aren't using Jesus to sell stuff

Sorry, couldn't resist :pac:

I was waiting for someone to say that!!!:P the very fact that they'd over ride Jesus though in a very Christian country whose every ready to buy their products, and use a fictional character instead like santa claus all the more confirms my faith in Christ as the one True Lord of all.

meh paganism, to be silent about it or not to be silent, that is the question!!! *twists moustache*

Firstly Santa isnt actually made up. http://powertochange.com/culture/stnick/

Secondly, does that little rant on marketing nonsense mean you'll never be shopping ever again, in any shop?! because EVERY shop in this country uses the same marketing stuff as Tesco! :rolleyes: theres a santa in every shop window!

My shop doesnt.........come to my shop people come come come. :):D;)

St.Nicholas was a christian saint alright, but nowadays they've really made him look like superman, who comes down a chimney, flys around in a cart in the air, eats all your biscuits, leaves a mess in the living room and puts your presents under a pagan tree etc etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Just heard ad on TV " Christmas comes early at Tesco" verbatum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Onesimus wrote: »

St.Nicholas was a christian saint alright, but nowadays they've really made him look like superman, who comes down a chimney, flys around in a cart in the air, eats all your biscuits, leaves a mess in the living room and puts your presents under a pagan tree etc etc....

Thats almost as good as the story were someone turned water into wine and a virgin becoming pregnant! :rolleyes:

alex73 wrote: »
    Just heard ad on TV " Christmas comes early at Tesco" verbatum.

Christmas comes EARLY? now they are talking heresy I'm definitely not shopping there ever again :mad::pac:

whats the Op ranting on about then?

Thats almost as good as the story were someone turned water into wine and a virgin becoming pregnant! :rolleyes:

Who converts to the story of Santa claus though when their in their old age as opposed to conversions to God? being honest with yourself of course.

I think this thread is gonna turn into Pagan vs Christian, bash bash bash. As Bob Dylan once said ''Just walk away from it man" :cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xkariex

Personnally i nt think the op is a very well educated person. A lot of irish ppl are not christens and ireland is a country with many religions ie presbytrian , prostent, muslim, and so on..

and by media law christmas can't be mentioned before 25th oct which is fair ... Look it up !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Christmas comes EARLY? now they are talking heresy I'm definitely not shopping there ever again :mad::pac:

whats the Op ranting on about then?

Just saw the ad myself. The ad is tongue in cheek with the implication being that they dont want to mention the "C" word too early so as not to upset the little ones. The Op is either missing the point or purposely misrepresenting the ad so as to indulge in a rant.
    http://www.rationalresponders.com/christian_oppression

Who converts to the story of Santa claus though when their in their old age as opposed to conversions to God? being honest with yourself of course.

I think this thread is gonna turn into Pagan vs Christian, bash bash bash. As Bob Dylan once said ''Just walk away from it man" :cool::pac:

Any chance you could rephrase that gibberish you wrote?!

Also, why bring pagans into this? You're now the one bashing a religion, leave them and their beliefs out of this. I'm merely voicing my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Didn't read the thread but just in case no one else pointed it out the mid winter /solstice festival is an ancient celebration, far pre dating christianity, which just attached its trappings to the seasonal festival that was already in place.

Any chance you could rephrase that gibberish you wrote?!

Any chance you could get an education?
    Also, why bring pagans into this? You're now the one bashing a religion, leave them and their beliefs out of this. I'm merely voicing my opinion

Oh you see I use the word pagans for secularists, and usually secularists such as yourself. I suppose I better get with the now mannnnn *puts his hippy hat on* ok so its....secularists dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

We've really gone and turned the thread into a trainwreck! It would make any grown man cry :(

The Charter states the following:
    1. The purpose of this forum is to discuss Christian belief in general, and specific elements of it, between Christians and non-Christians alike. This forum has the additional purpose of being a point on Boards.ie where Christians may ask other Christians questions about their shared faith. In this regard, Christians should not have to defend their faith from overt or subtle attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

knird evol wrote: »
    Didn't read the thread but just in case no one else pointed it out the mid winter /solstice festival is an ancient celebration, far pre dating christianity, which just attached its trappings to the seasonal festival that was already in place.

WHAAAAT! :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:

Seriously - perhaps you should read the thread.

I'm not actually trying to attack anyone or what they believe in! In my opinion this whole thread being about tesco denying christmas is just silly, along with asking their workers to stop working because of this. Its just silly considering there is actual media laws or rules as such that christmas isnt technically allowed to be said in an ad until oct 25th.

Onesimus you're obviously very narrowminded to think that someone who isnt a christian automatically doesnt have an education. I'm also very annoyed that you've straight away assumed i dont have a religion because of this.

Also pagans do have a belief system, and to call them secularists for this is just ridiculous. Maybe you need to get an education about other peoples beliefs and not just yours. Might as well call every religion a glorified cult in that case.

Read the charter. Both Onesimus and yourself can take the personal argument elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

WHAAAAT! :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:

Seriously - perhaps you should read the thread.

read this thread.... i think ill wait for the dvd boxset to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭digital_d

Eh - OP I'm 100% sure I heard an ad last night that specifically "This christmas every little helps" it made my stomach churn this early in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

mealone wrote: »
    Heard an advertisement last night and today from Tesco and during that advert they do not use the word Christmas

Now, TESCO [Irl?] have decisions to make commercially, like employing all Nigerian or Polish staff and so forth, you certainly have a choice and for the hints already mentioned, this racist shops elsewhere.

A Bigger problem is in your schools where we can't have nativity plays anymore ... now this enrages me. This is where the fight is lost, TESCO are a commercial organisation and if enough stop shopping they will change their staff and their approach to customs etc ... they don't have an agenda, except to appeal to the masses, if they get that wrong they will and do change.

Your schools, on the other hand, are undermining your Christian country behind your back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

When Jack Cohen, as a good observant Jew, founded Tesco I wonder if he guessed that one day his civil rights would be violated by right-wing Christian equivalents of the Taliban who would insist that his company must be more overtly Christian in its advertising.

This thread is depressingly stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

gbee wrote: »
    A Bigger problem is in your schools where we can't have nativity plays anymore ... now this enrages me. This is where the fight is lost
    You can, the church can organize one outside school hours. What's the big deal?

• Advertisement

You can, the church can organize one outside school hours. What's the big deal?

Then we lose, ban all plays then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Heard an advertisement last night and today from Tesco and during that advert they do not use the word Christmas but December 25 and "that time of the year" Well I have now stopped using Tesco and am urging all my friends to do likewise. Their attempt to play up to newcomers to Ireland who are non Christians is disgraceful. If I go to a Muslim country, I must obey their rules. So to Mr. Tesco, this is a Christian country and we celebrate Christmas, you know, the time of the year that Christians celebrate the birth of Christ and also where you make your fortunes . So Dunne's who are not afraid to use the word Christmas get all my business this year and every other year. I appeal to all to boycott Tesco and encourage others to do likewise and like I did to email them in protest.

Haha sense of humor by-pass, anyone? i heard that ad as tesco not mentioning the c word too early? am i totally wrong here? looks like christians finding prejudice anywhere they can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Why do you lose? Why is keeping religious content out of publicly funded schools a bad thing?

Why do you lose? Why is keeping religious content out of publicly funded schools a bad thing?

Oh, now actually I do agree. Period.

HOWEVER, I don't agree that we allow the Burka,Veil, Ramadan and a myrid of OTHER influences to take their place, which is happening on the ground.

And whilst I am an Atheists, and most schools are Christian and teach religion, it is not totally out.

I believe that schools should be about education without political or religious influences, however, as a former Christian, I still defend their right to a Christian Education, as most parents, I am sure, have sent their children for. The Point is, they are NOT getting the Christian values that should be available.

OR, and defiantly I support totally non religious schools.

I work as a photojournalist and see the non religious non nativity play, yet attend Catholic Mass and First Holy Communion preparation in the same school.

Anyway, I'm taking this a bit too deep and off topic, you all know what I mean.

For the record I am and Atheist AND Racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I beg of you to use the search function on faith schools rather than going off-topic! :pac:

Here you go. In an ironic twist, I'm going to demand that we keep schools out of this thread.

For the record I am and Atheist AND Racist.

I'm sorry for instantly breaking my own thread stipulations. But I have to know if this is a typo?

I'm sorry for instantly breaking my own thread stipulations. But I have to know if this is a typo?

I'm not sure, I might have the spelling wrong, and it is the Christianity forum, so I thought I should be clear about me.

I can have opposing views, in this issue I decry TESCO's stand.

I'm not sure, I might have the spelling wrong, and it is the Christianity forum, so I thought I should be clear about me.

I can have opposing views, in this issue I decry TESCO's stand.

I was asking about the racist remark? If nothing else it is refreshingly honest.

I was asking about the racist remark? If nothing else it is refreshingly honest.

Yes, I mention that in relation to the schools portion, which I introduced into this thread, thus taking it off topic a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its a Festivus miracle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Heard an advertisement last night and today from Tesco and during that advert they do not use the word Christmas but December 25 and "that time of the year" Well I have now stopped using Tesco and am urging all my friends to do likewise. Their attempt to play up to newcomers to Ireland who are non Christians is disgraceful. If I go to a Muslim country, I must obey their rules. So to Mr. Tesco, this is a Christian country and we celebrate Christmas, you know, the time of the year that Christians celebrate the birth of Christ and also where you make your fortunes . So Dunne's who are not afraid to use the word Christmas get all my business this year and every other year. I appeal to all to boycott Tesco and encourage others to do likewise and like I did to email them in protest.
    Do you celebrate Christmas in Tesco or in your church / home / heart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

this is a Christian country
    No, it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

What an odd bewildering thread. Carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gramo173

Id say the reason they dont use the word christmas is because its not even halloween yet and people dont want to be hearing about christmas this early. and also people constantly moan that christmas adverting starts to early so they dont want to encourage anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gramo173 wrote: »
    Id say the reason they dont use the word christmas is because its not even halloween yet and people dont want to be hearing about christmas this early. and also people constantly moan that christmas adverting starts to early so they dont want to encourage anyone.

Sssshh, thats the reason, but its funnier letting people think that Tesco are Christmas deniers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Saying Ireland is a secular country is similar to Australian politians saying Australia is a multicultural country to try and appease everyone.

Australia does have many people from different cultuires.

But,

Australia is NOT multicultural.

We have an Australian culture and Australian traditions.

Australia is based on Christian beliefs and Christian values of which democracy and a Fair Trial are some of our most valued.

Australian traditions such as Christmas, Easter, Australia Day, Remembrance Day-11th hour of the 11 day of November, Battle for Australia Day, two-up on ANZAC Day, Labour Day, BBQ's and a beer or two, to name a few, make our culture what it is.

To try and impose other values just waters down the Australian culture and tradition.

Our forefathers fought and died for these values and democracy.

Why should a countries traditions and values change just to suit a few?

Without the Australian culture and traditions the country will go to the dogs.

Once you get division within a country it's only a matter of time before some turn to violence and civil unrest to get their way.

God Bless Australia

old_aussie wrote: »
    Australia is based on Christian beliefs and Christian values of which democracy and a Fair Trial are some of our most valued.

Based on a bunch of convicts more like - with a good dollop of racism and genocide of the (ab)original Australians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

]
    The term Xmas is ubiquitous at this stage. It pervades the media and large parts of society. If you hang around Boards long enough and you'll see what I'm talking about. Tesco is out to make money. Generally the best way of doing this is not to cause ripples of discontent amongst your customers. The fact is that most people wont be annoyed by their decision to drop mention of Christ from the season but possibly some may be offended if they left it in.

This is rather surprising given that it's not "X" Mas, it's [latex]"\chi mas"[/latex], the
    [latex]"\chi"[/latex] being the greek translation of Christ (and magnetic/electric susceptibility in physics :)) . I really wish folks were made aware of this fact and that they stopped calling it "X" mas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

PDN wrote: »
    Based on a bunch of convicts more like - with a good dollop of racism and genocide of the (ab)original Australians.

pppffff,

Yeah there were a lot of Irish sent to Australia.

Then tell me PDN, why do so many Irish people want to leave Ireland and come to Australia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

pppffff,

Then tell me PDN, why do so many Irish people want to leave Ireland and come to Australia?

what does Australia have to do with Tesco, Christmas or the Irish constitution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Saying Ireland is a secular country is similar to Australian politians saying Australia is a multicultural country to try and appease everyone.

Australia does have many people from different cultuires.

But,

Australia is NOT multicultural.

We have an Australian culture and Australian traditions.

Australian traditions such as Christmas, Easter, Australia Day, Remembrance Day-11th hour of the 11 day of November, Battle for Australia Day, two-up on ANZAC Day, Labour Day, BBQ's and a beer or two, to name a few, make our culture what it is.

To try and impose other values just waters down the Australian culture and tradition.

Our forefathers fought and died for these values and democracy.

Why should a countries traditions and values change just to suit a few?

Without the Australian culture and traditions the country will go to the dogs.

Once you get division within a country it's only a matter of time before some turn to violence and civil unrest to get their way.

God Bless Australia
    Old Aussie,

The word "Christmas" not being included in an ad for Tesco seems either to be the result of a media ban on christmas advertising before christmas, or a deliberatre marketing technique used by Tesco. No-one's religious beliefs are being threatened in any way by this. I don't see how your post is in any way relevant.

pppffff,

Well, the answer is obvious from your earlier post. They're flocking to soak up the spiritual benefits and values of your Christian monoculture and to shop at supermarkets that always use the correct terminology when talking about the 25th of December. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

If ever a thread deserved to be locked. :rolleyes:
    Clearly the OP did not understand the ad as it was intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 mealone

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I would also like to ad that, to many Christians, or indeed non-Christians, the over commercialisation of Christmas is also deeply offensive.
    I totally agree with you there but allowing commercial interests to airbrush our traditional season out is equally offensive.

If ever a thread deserved to be locked. :rolleyes:
    Clearly the OP did not understand the ad as it was intended.
    I have ears and I do understand. So please do not tell me that I misunderstood.

Victor wrote: »
    Do you celebrate Christmas in Tesco or in your church / home / heart?
    That was stupid to be honest, did you even read what I wrote?

krudler wrote: »
    Sssshh, thats the reason, but its funnier letting people think that Tesco are Christmas deniers ;)
    And you know that Einstein?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

The ad has been explained as has media rules stating that Christmas advertising is not permitted yet. Which I think is a fantastic idea. If there was a Christmas ad I, along with most of the population, would be giving out that "I can't believe Christmas ads are on already!"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement