Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco's denial of Christmas

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Tesco had an...xmas themed advert on over the weekend here in the UK. It wasn't overtly.....xmassy....but the idea was buy cheap toys now for......xmas...

Actually, thinking back to it I could have SWORN they said christmas... I don't watch much tv but I'll look out for it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

old_aussie wrote: »
    Australia is NOT multicultural.

The rather large presence of Asians for one would suggest otherwise.
    We have an Australian culture and Australian traditions.

Of course. And you also have other cultures and traditions. Sort of like a multitude of cultures if you will.
    Australia is based on Christian beliefs and Christian values of which democracy and a Fair Trial are some of our most valued.

Nonsense.
    Australian traditions such as Christmas, Easter, Australia Day, Remembrance Day-11th hour of the 11 day of November, Battle for Australia Day, two-up on ANZAC Day, Labour Day, BBQ's and a beer or two, to name a few, make our culture what it is.

No argument here. But to suggest that there aren't any other cultures or traditions in Australia is simply ignoring what's right in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mealone

PDN wrote: »
    When Jack Cohen, as a good observant Jew, founded Tesco I wonder if he guessed that one day his civil rights would be violated by right-wing Christian equivalents of the Taliban who would insist that his company must be more overtly Christian in its advertising.

This thread is depressingly stupid.
    Your comments equating me to the Taliban is extremely offensive and I suggest that you learn to temper your offensive remarks. Clearly I do not ask that his organization is overtly Christian in it's advertising but to respect the status quo. I now ask you to withdraw your offensive remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Em...scratch.gif.....
    I like Baileys Cheesecake. Kangaroos are cute. Pudding is nasty stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Ireland has always been a secular country.

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Youth_Zone/About_the_Constitution,_Flag,_Anthem_Harp/Constitution_of_Ireland_Eng_Nov2004.htm

There exists a Christian slant in our Constitution, our Laws and in other aspects of public life, but we are still a secular country and companies are perfectly entitled to advertise in as secularly or as religiously inclined a manner as they wish.

Similarly, you are perfectly entitled to not buy Tesco's products if you do not want to. I don't see why you feel there should be a crusade against them.

Sorry if this has been pointed out but that is an amendment to the constitution.

Originally it gave special position to the catholic church untill 1973 so it wasnt always a secular state.

However, If they want to not sell things under the name christmas thats fine. The use more Santa, crackers, balloons to represent christmas than christian imagery so they might as well change the name.

Also, I cant stand christmas so I hope this catches on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mealone wrote: »
    I have ears and I do understand. So please do not tell me that I misunderstood.

you clearly didnt though, its a clever way of getting around the media rules on saying the word Christmas in ads before Oct 25th on Tescos part, btw they have numerous references to Christmas in their actual stores, I was in there yesterday and they have leaflets for guess what, their CHRISTMAS club, not their December 25th or "that time of year" club. after oct 25th they'll have ads mentioning Christmas as normal. so calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mealone

krudler wrote: »
    you clearly didnt though, its a clever way of getting around the media rules on saying the word Christmas in ads before Oct 25th on Tescos part, btw they have numerous references to Christmas in their actual stores, I was in there yesterday and they have leaflets for guess what, their CHRISTMAS club, not their December 25th or "that time of year" club. after oct 25th they'll have ads mentioning Christmas as normal. so calm down.
    Calm down???? I am very calm, mister. I was referring specifically to their TV advertisement and not their shelf signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

lmaopml wrote: »
    Pudding is nasty stuff.

If you're talking about the christmas variety then you take that back and stop spreading lies about one of the most delicious foods to ever grace this planet.

mealone wrote: »
    Calm down???? I am very calm, mister. I was referring specifically to their TV advertisement and not their shelf signs.

and you've already been told that they CAN'T mention Christmas yet, so its not something they're "denying", they're just not allowed yet, simples.

This thread has everything, from discussions about christmas to australia to the pros and cons of pudding, its brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

If you're talking about the christmas variety then you take that back and stop spreading lies about one of the most delicious foods to ever grace this planet.

Just to warn you. I do Kung Fu..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

krudler wrote: »
    and you've already been told that they CAN'T mention Christmas yet, so its not something they're "denying", they're just not allowed yet, simples.

Exactly! So, thread closed...surely!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Exactly! So, thread closed...surely!
    I hope so as the OP has clearly heard what he wants to hear in the ad and has decided that Tescos have banned Christmas The Op will continue in the vein forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This thread is like a car crash, I thought i was in AH for a moment. . .better leave quietly before i say anything offensive

for what it's worth, i think it's bloody awesome that they have this 25th of October rule - might help keep kids calm and parents sane (for a couple of extra weeks at least)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Time to lock this train wreck, I think. Happy holidays to everyone concerned!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement