Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Weather Station

Options
  • 03-10-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a weather station, and one that is compatable with windows 7. I was looking at the maplins site and was thinking of this one
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223254

Is that good value for money or are there better ones out there?

Cheers
    Jay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Looks good for the money, but I would have big reservations about the anenometer. Looks like it has to installed alongside the other components, which is of no use if you're putting it in a garden. The standard height for anenometers is 10 metres. Putting it at 1.5m in a garden will probably give you calm conditions on most days, even though it could be very different in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Thanks for the reply..........I live out in the country, about 90 metres from the house we have a big shed, my plan was to mount it on top of the shed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Su Campu wrote: »
    Looks good for the money, but I would have big reservations about the anenometer. Looks like it has to installed alongside the other components, which is of no use if you're putting it in a garden. The standard height for anenometers is 10 metres. Putting it at 1.5m in a garden will probably give you calm conditions on most days, even though it could be very different in reality.

The illustration is a little deceiving. All of the components are not intended to be fixed alongside each other. As far as I remember, the kit comes complete with jubilee clips to attach the components to a longer post which Maplin supply seperately.
    The anemometer is not so bad but the wind vane is a nightmare . There are a number of ingenious solutions to help rectify these shortcomings. Again, I recommend having a look at the homebuilt section here for tips and advice.
    At the end of the day you get what you pay for but it's not a bad one to start out with.
    To avoid confusion I should also point out that the Maplin station N96FY is a the same as a Fine Offset WH1080

Fionagus wrote: »
    The illustration is a little deceiving. All of the components are not intended to be fixed alongside each other. As far as I remember, the kit comes complete with jubilee clips to attach the components to a longer post which Maplin supply seperately.
    The anemometer is not so bad but the wind vane is a nightmare . There are a number of ingenious solutions to help rectify these shortcomings. Again, I recommend having a look at the homebuilt section here for tips and advice.
    At the end of the day you get what you pay for but it's not a bad one to start out with.
    To avoid confusion I should also point out that the Maplin station N96FY is a the same as a Fine Offset WH1080

Thanks for the info, so what station would you recommend thats best value for money?

jay28 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, so what station would you recommend thats best value for money?

Use the Cumulus forum I directed you to for advice about the most popular personal weather stations on the market. It should help you to make an informed decision about what's right for you.
    The Maplin N96FY you're looking at is one of the cheapest wireless stations on the Market afik. The general consensus appears to be that it's good value for money but has a few known issues you will have to work around. Ultimately the decision is yours :confused:

• Advertisement

Fionagus wrote: »
    Use the Cumulus forum I directed you to for advice about the most popular personal weather stations on the market. It should help you to make an informed decision about what's right for you.
    The Maplin N96FY you're looking at is one of the cheapest wireless stations on the Market afik. The general consensus appears to be that it's good value for money but has a few known issues you will have to work around. Ultimately the decision is yours :confused:

For some reason my browser wont allow me to open your link, I'll try and search and see ifI can find the thread, thanks for the info.

For some reason my browser wont allow me to open your link, I'll try and search and see ifI can find the thread, thanks for the info.

Try this http://sandaysoft.com/forum/
    Or google Cumulus weather software and follow the links to support& homebuilt

Thanks for that,
    The maplins station does seem to give lots of trouble, seems like you have to do alot of mods to get accurate readings.

Ive just had a quick read on that forum but seems the Davis vue would be a good weather station for a newbie such as myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Hi all,

I'm looking for a weather station, and one that is compatable with windows 7. I was looking at the maplins site and was thinking of this one
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223254

Is that good value for money or are there better ones out there?

Cheers
    Jay

Hi Jay

I recently got a gift of the above mentioned weather station recently and I absolutely love it. It seems to be lovely station for the amateur that wants to know the basics like wind direction, speed, temp, rainfall etc. It was very easy to put together but finding the best place to put it was harder!:D

Fionagus on this site recommended the following booklets to me and I found the first one, very helpful in explaining everything.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead. Read back on this thread and there is some good discussion on weather stations.

Esk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

If you can stretch the budget, go for the Davis Vantage Vue. Great reviews and very accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭istabraq

I would like to know others opinions on the la crosse ws2800 weather station https://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/electronic/complete-weather-station/technoline-ws2800-weather-station.html I suppose the davis vantage vue would be better but all sensors are together and it is not recommended to be installed at roof level so how much of a difference is the la crosse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I personally would stick to the Davis but then im not you.

http://www.chmarine.com/acatalog/Vantage_Vue_Wireless_Weather_Stations.html

Advertisement