Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet ferret or pet rat?

• 03-10-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey, I'm thinking of getting either a pet rat or ferret but can't really decide which. I'm leaning a bit more towards ferret because it's a bit more original and different.

Anyone have any opinions and reasons for which they think is better. Advantages and disadvantages of both would be appreciated to help me make my mind up!

Also which is better for either animal, a male or female? Im looking for something friendly that enjoys lots of human contact and is easy to handle. Also can you keep either of these pets outdoors as this would be more convinient for me!

I know I've asked a lot of questions here but any info you can give me would be great.

Cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

I have limited experience with ferrets bar minding two for a friend but i can definatley say rats are a fab pet ,,very social gentle and fun...They are easy to look after,,The only thing is you would need to get two as they dont like to be alone,,but they are a lovely pet......:D:D:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Never had rats, though I am still considering getting one, but I've got two ferret brothers and I would definitely reccommend them. We got them at four months and although they were a bit nippy at first, we had them trained out of it in about three days. Now they're like puppies when you pick them up- they love being scratched and they love licking people's faces and sticking their noses into people's ears. Not to mention that seeing them tear around the house playing is hilarious. They can live in an outside hutch as well, I'm not sure, but i dont think rats can due to the cold.

As far as i know about the genders female rats aren't as social as males and a little bit more nippy. Female ferrets dont get as big as males, but you have to get ferrets neutered, either male or female. In males, it cuts down the smell and stops aggression. Females on the other hand enter heat and dont leave it until you mate them. And if they dont mate they get a form of anemia that will kill them. So you're better off neutering them unless you want plenty of ferret kittens rampaging around the house.

With either one, you'll be looking at some expenses- they need a good solid large cage where they can climb and keep themselves entertained when you're not around to let them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Ferrets in a large cage with a warm bed off of the floor can live outside. However both rats & ferrets need some company - I have a stunning spayed female & neutered male that live together.

Rats & ferrets both make fab pets - would not keep rats outside tho as the cold would kill them! Have heard of a stray ferret found in Dublin that is at risk of being put to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Iv had rats and iv had ferrets. Both are really great pets. I would go with ferrets again if i was to get new pets though because i think they are more fun overall. Clipping their nails in awful with some ot them though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have only kept rats myself, indoors only. They aren't smelly, infact quite clean, some I had would make a little loo in one corner. I found large aquarium best way to keep them, but you have to secure the lid or they will escape.
    I got a cracked aquarium from a friend(wasn't safe for large volume of water) and it lasted years.
    Rats are smart and can be trained, love to play and will entertain you for hours.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Just a couple of ferret questions - how are they kept?

Are they given the run of a house? are they kept mainly in some sort of indoor cage and let out from time to time?

What are they like for toilet training?

Are they ever let outside? In any sense can they be kept like a cat and allowed outside (regardless of whether this would be a good idea) or if they get out are they gone for good?

What are they like with other pets (cats/dogs) in the house?

pH wrote: »
    Just a couple of ferret questions - how are they kept?

Are they given the run of a house? are they kept mainly in some sort of indoor cage and let out from time to time?

What are they like for toilet training?

Are they ever let outside? In any sense can they be kept like a cat and allowed outside (regardless of whether this would be a good idea) or if they get out are they gone for good?

What are they like with other pets (cats/dogs) in the house?

Ideally ferrets should be kept inside in a cage or a ferretproof room (you can keep them in an outside hutch but with our winters? Brr, wouldn't subject the little mites to that weather). Giving them the run of the house can be dodgy because they get into EVERYTHING. I've seen my fellas try to wriggle their way under the fridge, and one of the main causes of ferret deaths is from climbing in under reclining chairs and then being sat on. You can let them run around but they need to be supervised at least- the same for outdoors. I let my two outside once a day but never without keeping a close eye on them- they're notorious escape artists and unlike dogs, they aren't very good on recall.
    Toilet training is relatively easy- took about three days before they had it. Basically ferrets will nearly always back into a corner to go to the toilet and in their cage, you can put a litter box into the corner they mostly go in. They'll eventually start doing it as habit. My guys will actually climb back into their cage to use the litterbox now.
    The only pets i would advise to have around them really are dogs, and large dogs at that. They have a tendency to chase cats and small dogs, even if only to play. Ferrets have thick skin and their play involves a lot of biting but they dont seem to realise that other animals dont enjoy that kind of play so much. If they grow up together there shouldn't be any problem but if it's a new ferret in the house, I would gradually introduce them to the other pet and take the ferret away the instant he charges or leaps at the other animal. You cant really keep anything else with them; they are carnivores and hunters and will see any other animal as a food source and little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Ferrets absolutely REEK.. I would love if anyone could tell me if this is males or females that smell so strong, and if this changes when they are spayed or neutered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mymo wrote: »
    I have only kept rats myself, indoors only. They aren't smelly, infact quite clean, some I had would make a little loo in one corner. I found large aquarium best way to keep them, but you have to secure the lid or they will escape.
    I got a cracked aquarium from a friend(wasn't safe for large volume of water) and it lasted years.
    Rats are smart and can be trained, love to play and will entertain you for hours.:D
    Not too sure if rats should be kept in enclosed spaces like that tbh. I'm far from an expert, but they definitely need to have proper ventilation. On the other hand, they suffer from respitory problems, so you don't want to keep them somewhere draughty either...

I've got 2 female rats and they bloody stink imo! (still love them though)
    I'll have to post a couple of videos of their hijinks later:p

Apparently males are smellier than females, but I've found these two girls to be infinitely stinkier than the one male we had before them... If you're looking for an odourless pet, neither of them are good choices I'm afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Hey, I'm thinking of getting either a pet rat or ferret but can't really decide which. I'm leaning a bit more towards ferret because it's a bit more original and different

Hi there,

My nephew has a ferret. He says they make excellent pets - however if you are getting one, make sure it is used to being handled. Ferrets who arent used to human contact can bite - and its pretty sore!

He uses them to hunt rabbits, going lamping with ferrets is one of his favourite pastimes.

I dont know anyone with a pet rat so sorry I cant give any advice on that!

Good luck with your new pet and I hope you have years of pleasure from it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

There is a pet ferret on petsireland who needs a home ASAP or will be pts :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

tman wrote: »
    Not too sure if rats should be kept in enclosed spaces like that tbh. I'm far from an expert, but they definitely need to have proper ventilation. On the other hand, they suffer from respitory problems, so you don't want to keep them somewhere draughty either...

I've got 2 female rats and they bloody stink imo! (still love them though)
    I'll have to post a couple of videos of their hijinks later:p

Apparently males are smellier than females, but I've found these two girls to be infinitely stinkier than the one male we had before them... If you're looking for an odourless pet, neither of them are good choices I'm afraid!

We used a mesh lid for ventilation, the tank is great to keep the drafts off them(was also very large 5ft long, ex display fish tank). Ours were out every day and well handled, but we did find it hard to keep them from escaping, so had to resort to weighting the lid down and securing the corners.
    I've had boys and girls and never found them overly smelly, maybe it varies.

Some people say that the smell goes down after they've been neutered, some say they dont, but I have definitely noticed a difference in the smell since we got them done.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sparklicous

i think that it actually depends on the breed of rat i think. a friend of mine had a dumbo rat(they have big ears like dumbo the elephant! hehe) and when i used to bring my rat over to play she'd come home stinking. normally though if i keep her cage clean and give her a bath about every two weeks she's not smelly at all. she's super cute and so smart and fluffy.

they're kind of hypoallergenic from what i understand. i'm allergic to cats, dogs, rabbits etc, but i'm grand with rats though.

one of those things where you have to actually go and play with a rat to see how you like them though. before i did, i had the stereotypical "eh rat? no thanks" response. i think before you decide, you should go into a pet shop and have a play with a rat and a ferret to help you decide what you want from a pet.

Advertisement