Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC usage

• 03-10-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

How do you check it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭dunworth1

the only way is to email them and ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

really that sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

once you email them then they will tell you something like this.
    Thank you for the mail.
    Unfortunately I only look after & monitor the usage for Upc when it is high on the customers accounts. If you wish to check usage you will need to download a meter yourself.
    My reports only look at data over the limit of each of our packs so unless you are using excessively I will not be able to capture your data.
    I have ran a special check for your account today to try and find the usage for you but as you will see it is very small so it falls outside my limits.

Apologies I am unable to provide you with this detail in future but as I mentioned I look after uhigh usage queries & upgrades.
    Regards

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Unless you are transferring over 8GB everyday, you have nothing to worry about.

I don't download much but like to monitor it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In utorrent there's a download measurement to aid capping, I just reset it to zero on the first of each month and that gives me a fair idea. Obviously it won't measure non-torrent stuff but will give you an idea. Works for me and no extra software to install...

Don't use torrents to slow ;)

Anyway shame i might look for a program that does it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Is it not possible to check braodband usage with UPC somewhere online..? Thought they'd have a section where you login to retrieve the info.

Presently using an old version of DU Meter, but as some of the familiy visit regularly with laptops, iPods etc, need a more accurate result :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Is it not possible to check braodband usage with UPC somewhere online..?

As is said above, no. Some routers allow you track all traffic in and out, so that's a possible solution to sharing a connection across multiple devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Yes, a lot of routers measure the bytes sent and received, and that information can often be retrieved using SNMP.

At home I'm doing this with my Draytek router (though not currently on UPC)and I have had it working on a Billion as well. The only problem is that the counter rolls back to 0 whenever the router is restarted, and when it reaches its max of its internal counter (which is 32-bit in many cases so it will roll over in as little as 4GB). So it's a bit useless if you just want to log into the router and look up the value, especially for high data users.

I've set up a monitoring script once to check this every 5 minutes and adjust the figure at rollbacks (when it sees a lower value than the last 5 mins value), it was a lot of programming work but it can be done. Not something for the average home user though.

I'm surprised there's no standard tools available to use this facility that many routers offer. Though it is absolutely necessary to keep a PC running all the time to capture the rollovers of the counter so it's not really a home-capable solution.

Either way I think UPC should just provide this facility if they are so sharp on overusage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 khm2008

If you install tamato firmware on your router it will do it for on every device that connects to your network its very easy to install as well you just download the rite one for your router and go onto router page and upgrade fireware and pick the file you downloaded and your done
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

nani17 wrote: »
    How do you check it?

Just google "bandwidth usage monitor", there are plenty of free apps to download. Obviously these will only work on 1 pc/laptop though.

ye do realize this thread is a year old right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

..and UPC doubled their limit in the meantime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ..and UPC doubled their limit in the meantime

but then Netflix arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would Netflix use around 1GB an hour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

I would imagine if your watching in HD, it would use about 5 gig every 2 hours.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would Netflix use around 1GB an hour?

it depends on the quality setting you have set.
    netflix allow to select 3 different settings.

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
    Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
    Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭wierdal

Strange problem I had

I got DU meter a while ago to monitor the bandwidth usage.

About a week ago I downloaded Mandriva 2011, which is about 2 gigs in size, from HEATnet, so using the Firefox downloader.

Anyway my problem is that DU Meter registered that as 20 gig download.

Am I misunderstanding how bandwidth works or is DU meter a bit dodgy ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

you canot install tomato on to the UPC modems, you would need a bridge router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

wierdal wrote: »
    Strange problem I had

I got DU meter a while ago to monitor the bandwidth usage.

About a week ago I downloaded Mandriva 2011, which is about 2 gigs in size, from HEATnet, so using the Firefox downloader.

Anyway my problem is that DU Meter registered that as 20 gig download.

Am I misunderstanding how bandwidth works or is DU meter a bit dodgy ??

It's possible, IF you have high packet loss, but not probable. Bear in mind that other stuff would have been downloading in the interim. Windows Updates, surfing, emails etc.

Advertisement