Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

can i get hd gaming on this tv

• 03-10-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

this is the tv i have

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-D34W20-34-TruFlat-HD-Ready/dp/B00006JBK3

its old as hell, heavy as hell but there is talk of 1080i and p on that description

any idea on whether i can get hd gmaing on it.. ive got a dvi to hdmi cable and have that connected with no audio as its a pure video cable

The two settings i seem to b able to get are

480p
    widescreen
    hdmi

and

when i enable tv discovery i get

640 x 480
    normal
    dvi

also when i use normal leads with the usual red white and yellow phono cables and switch it to hd it comes up as 480p widescreen component HD but that cant be hd as its just normal cables

any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Can't see any mention of the screen itself being capable of 1080i or p in that description... Kind of sounds more like it recognises up to 1080i inputs, but downscales to 480p
    You'd be amazingly lucky for a 6+ year old TV to be 1080p compatible, even 1080i would be amazing!

178 pounds?!?!?:eek:

also when i use normal leads with the usual red white and yellow phono cables and switch it to hd it comes up as 480p widescreen component HD but that cant be hd as its just normal cables
    Component cables are capable of HD, but what you described is a composite cable... You want red (orangey), blue and green for video and red and white for audio. Are you definitely plugging all 5 cables into the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

its the heaviest bastid of a tv ive ever seen.

picked up off craigslist here in toronto last year for 100 bucks.. realised why it was so cheap when i attempted to lift it myself

ok so i have pluggd all the cables in.. always thought i had to use the dvi to hdmi cable before.. now it seems i can get 1080i - it was at 480 and i clicked on 1080i and it seemed to be ok.. 1080p wasnt availble..

not sure if it is really working.. picture looks better.. wonder if theres much difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

u should see straight away if its better or not, if it worked it should no longer be jaggedy and crap! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭quinnd6

480 doesn't look as jaggedy and crap on a crt as it would on an lcd.
    The best way is to play a game and see if you can see more details from a distance.
    Also if text appears clearer and sharper that can also be an indication.
    You should be able to see a lot more detail really and everything should be sharper and clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Also if text appears clearer and sharper that can also be an indication.
    You should be able to see a lot more detail really and everything should be sharper and clearer.

Or try playing the first Dead Rising... If you can actually read the text in that, you're playing in HD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

will attempt to read some text.. its amazing how hard it is to read text on most xbox games actually so hopefully this makes a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

tman wrote: »
    Or try playing the first Dead Rising... If you can actually read the text in that, you're playing in HD!

thats BS, if you have an RGB scart for your 360, you can read the text no problem in Standard Def.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I played the first dead rising on a 28 inch mitsubishi crt tv and i found it very hard to read the text in that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    thats BS, if you have an RGB scart for your 360, you can read the text no problem in Standard Def.

Can you still buy those in shops? Can find them on Amazon alright but are there shops that still carry them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Can you still buy those in shops? Can find them on Amazon alright but are there shops that still carry them?

im not playing on standard def anymore but the rgb makes a massive difference. hard to find in shops id say but plentiful on ebay and such though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement