Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Camera

• 03-10-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting a camera for Christmas.

Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations ?

Budget is about €500

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

What do you want to take photos of? Do you have a camera today? If so, what do you want that it will not deliver for you?
    - sports?
    - portraits?
    - landscapes?
    - general photos of your friends/family?

For eu500 you can get a camera that ought to be able to do the following

1 - take the photo when you press the button.
    ( This sounds obvious - but many cameras have a delay of up to 1 second between the time you press the button & the picture is taken. This becomes a real pain, fast)
    2- have a reasonable zoom from wide angle to telephoto.
    3 - have a reasonable onboard flash.
    4- able to deliver good quality photos up to ISO 400 or ISO 800.

the next questions are
    - are you happy to spend eu500 on a camera that does not offer the option of interchangeable lenses? ( there is no right answer to this question, I am just factoring it in)
    - do you care about RAW ?
    - Do you care about waterproof/weatherproofing?

- Do you want a brand new camera or would you be happy to buy a 2nd hand unit

-FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

FoxT wrote: »
    What do you want to take photos of? Do you have a camera today? If so, what do you want that it will not deliver for you?
    - sports?
    - portraits?
    - landscapes?
    - general photos of your friends/family?

For eu500 you can get a camera that ought to be able to do the following

1 - take the photo when you press the button.
    ( This sounds obvious - but many cameras have a delay of up to 1 second between the time you press the button & the picture is taken. This becomes a real pain, fast)
    2- have a reasonable zoom from wide angle to telephoto.
    3 - have a reasonable onboard flash.
    4- able to deliver good quality photos up to ISO 400 or ISO 800.

the next questions are
    - are you happy to spend eu500 on a camera that does not offer the option of interchangeable lenses? ( there is no right answer to this question, I am just factoring it in)
    - do you care about RAW ?
    - Do you care about waterproof/weatherproofing?

- Do you want a brand new camera or would you be happy to buy a 2nd hand unit

-FoxT
    Landscapes, General Photos and portraits

Yes one with very little delay would be preferable
    A good zoom also
    And good quality is almost essential

No don't mind about RAW
    Some weatherproofing would be preferable too

Don't really mind if it's new or second hand (but second hand is preferable)

-Cakesofrice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

For €500 you probably won't find many weather sealed Dslr cameras with a lens on top. I'm not sure if any of those non-interchangeable lens 'super zooms' have that feature.

Have you decided on either a dslr or bridge cam for definite yet? As there's just so many options, you need to narrow it down to specifics before others will suggest makes/models.

I would prefer a DSLR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Ok, for €500 you should find a nice little package on adverts.ie - There's always people selling their used gear on there, mostly people who are planning a step up. Ignore the 'Like new' spiel, I don't know who they think they're fooling with that ol' chestnut. but a lot of them will be in top nick, people planning to step up [to higher spec models or full frame, or even change brands] will most likely have looked after their gear.

I have my cam up for sale, which is weather sealed, but I've already rejected €500 offers. But I have seen some bargains on there besides.

• Advertisement

Would this one be a good one.

I think i seen this one at €500 in Currys or it could be the 500D.

Advertisement