Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capturing the moment......

• 03-10-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

Great shot by the photographer in question, kept his cool and got the shot. I'd say he exitited 'stage-left' fairly lively tho as the 'Tiger' gave him some 'looks' ! Pic here. (and check out yer man with the cigar :p).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Love the expressions, so much going on in the photo :D cool photo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

heh, the guy with the wig'n'Wellies.

Nice one, hope his lens was ok :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Fair play to the guy with sticking out with the shot, even fairer play to the dude with the cigar who seems to be the only person who sees what's about to happen. But the thing that strikes me the most is, is that a periscope at the back left of the shot?

:lol:

You couldn't have planned a better picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Unreal :D. The fellow with the cigar is hilarious ! This nearly looks like a staged photograph : kiddie, check, funny moustache guy, check, cross looking guy, check...

edit : actually the young man beside cigar man is quite funny too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Was the lens scrap afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I doubt it. lenses are pretty tough, I've seen clips on youtube of people hitting the glass with hammers! [Idiots, I know, but demonstrating how tough they really are]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

A classic shot! The individual expressions of the spectators, Tiger, and his caddie just tell one hell of a story.

Thks Irish147, this is already being discussed there : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056050523 :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

How can that be a good photograph. The ball is not in focus (should have uses f22), the subject is central in the frame and not on an intersection of a third. Worst of all the horizon is not level. There is some interest here and it would be worth revisiting to shoot this again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

heh, the guy with the wig'n'Wellies.

Nice one, hope his lens was ok :D
    Nforce wrote: »
    Was the lens scrap afterwards?
    I doubt it. lenses are pretty tough, I've seen clips on youtube of people hitting the glass with hammers! [Idiots, I know, but demonstrating how tough they really are]

Tiger didn't even hit the lens or camera. He fluffed his shot from the rough and the ball travelled about 6 yards. It hit Mark on the thigh and bounced back into the rough.

http://www.videosurf.com/video/nbc-sports-ryder-cup-day-2-wrapup-pt-1-1228380174 Clip is 7:49 in

kensutz wrote: »
    Tiger didn't even hit the lens or camera. He fluffed his shot from the rough and the ball travelled about 6 yards. It hit Mark on the thigh and bounced back into the rough.

http://www.videosurf.com/video/nbc-sports-ryder-cup-day-2-wrapup-pt-1-1228380174 Clip is 7:49 in

Haven't watched the clip yet, but, the link in the OP says;
    "... captured this extraordinary picture just before the ball hit his camera, bounced on to his chest and came to rest at his feet."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's the Daily Mail, what else do you expect. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

The Photoshop comedians have already got their hands on this one....:D

CbfFb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Another photoshop version of it

d88eadf9-bd96-4523-9f40-00342e25aeb5.jpg

Love how they edited the guy in the red jacket on the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

CabanSail wrote: »
    Worst of all the horizon is not level.

Aren't they on a slope.....?

Definitely an interesting shot as everyones attention is focused at the camera due to the direction of the ball.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

mrboswell wrote: »
    Aren't they on a slope.....?

Definitely an interesting shot as everyones attention is focused at the camera due to the direction of the ball.

Doesn't matter. Rules is rules.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. Rules is rules.

Just as well we don't all stick to rules such as rule of thirds - the world would be a very miserable place if we looked at "perfect" pictures all the time.

If we don't stick to rules then how can we tell which are good photos? Heaven forbid that we would actually look at them and analyse how they make you feel. Nah! Best to stick to rules I think.

I think this is a good photo because it "captured the moment". Not because it strayed from the rules of photography, nor is a photo good because it sticks to them.

Heaven forbid we judge all photos by the same standard. Not all photos make you "feel" a certain way which is why others likes them. You disagree with the original shot - fair enough. It takes all sorts to make a world, or at least an interesting one.

• Advertisement

MrBoswell I think CabanSail is just being tongue in cheek, there was a discussion on camera clubs and how criticism was dished out in them a little while ago, so I think that's what he's on about... ;)

or is he ? :eek::confused::P

that's the discussion : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056048231&page=3

tttsss tttsss tttsss bold, CS, bold ! :pac:

MrBoswell I think CabanSail is just being tongue in cheek, there was a discussion on camera clubs and how criticism was dished out in them a little while ago, so I think that's what he's on about... ;)

or is he ? :eek::confused::P

that's the discussion : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056048231&page=3

tttsss tttsss tttsss bold, CS, bold ! :pac:

Ah...makes a lot more sense now ;)

Anyway that guy with the cigar looks like he'd be good craic for a few pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭vedwards

A wannabe Groucho Marx! :D

Advertisement