Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dying Light 200, 30/10/2010

• 03-10-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

Chaps

There seems to be a worrying level of interest in what I was hoping to be a very low-key debut effort as an organiser. But if that's what the public wants....

It gives me great pleasure to announce the Dying Light 200, the very last event in the 2009-10 calendar, and without doubt the easiest audax that this country ever seen, Guaranteed less than 1100m of climbing over 203km of quiet back roads in north county Dublin and the leafy, cultivated laneways of Meath. Repair to Rottenhat Mansions afterwards for sandwiches and hot port, and later stop by the inaugural Audax Ireland social/AGM in a nearby boozer to be determined.

The route will look more or less like this.

The ride will start at 8am sharp from the 24 hour Spar on Baggot Street (just south of the bridge). I would very much appreciate entries in advance - the fee will be €5, and you can get that to me by post, Paypal (oldrottenhat@gmail.com) or bank transfer (email to request details), by Wednesday October 27th. There may be a limited number of entries available on the line - entry on the line will be €8, you will need to show up by 7:30 so there's time to write up your card etc, and I'm not guaranteeing that I'll have enough cards if a lot of people do this. So please make my life easier and enter ahead of time. My address is 14 Waterloo Road, Flat 4, Dublin 4 and my email address is oldrottenhat@gmail.com.

Cycling Ireland license will be required (one day licenses will be available on the day) and lights are mandatory, even if you're some kind of superstar and are absolutely certain you'll be back to Baggot St by 5pm.

Unfortunately I have been stuck with working a half-shift that day so I won't be able to man the controls myself as I had intended. If you're feeling public spirited and would be willing to spend a few hours hanging out in Ardee or Athboy stamping cards and giving out water and food on the day please get in touch. As compensation, you can join me on the organiser's ride the previous weekend (i.e. the bank holiday weekend) with no entry fee and I will sort you out for a few pints or whatever your chosen poison is. Failing that, it will be commercial controls, for which I apologise - I will do better next year.

I'm hoping this will be a relaxed, social ride for everyone who's been putting in the hard miles over the summer, and a gentle introduction for anyone who's dipping their toe into the water for the first time. Lets finish the biggest season Audax Ireland has had in many years in style.

Rottenhat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think I fancy this. Takes in some of our racing roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

I'm in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Raam wrote: »
    I think I fancy this. Takes in some of our racing roads.

Did I accidentally type "hammerfest"? I meant to write "relaxed, social ride."

Would be great to have you along - I had a few emails back and forth with LDB this week, she sounded like she might open to persuasion too.

Forgot to mention, there will be one info control so bring a pen or pencil so you can write down the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

I wouldn't be able to ride this unfortunately but I'll offer myself and a car for the day for controls etc.

I wouldn't be able to ride this unfortunately but I'll offer myself and a car for the day for controls etc.

Sir, you're a gentleman. I will be in touch via the private email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

See yis on the 30th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Bah. Another unfortuanate date clash. This time with the International Rules match in Croke Park, which I am due to help out at. I might join in anyway and do a shortened 100-150km route. (would need to be in Croke Park by about 3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hoping to do this also, it'll be my first Audax and first time to ever reach 200k. Can you advise how much a one day Cycling Ireland license is and what's required to obtain it, any identification etc required on signing up.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Hoping to do this also, it'll be my first Audax and first time to ever reach 200k. Can you advise how much a one day Cycling Ireland license is and what's required to obtain it, any identification etc required on signing up.
    Thanks

One day license is a tenner I think (it was last year anyway), and there's no documentation required. Show up on the day, hand over money, receive paper slip which constitutes one day license. That's my experience of it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

im in will do paypal tomorrow when i get home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

Cheque in post for 2 entries. Looking forward to the banana and lemon flavoured medal.

That's for yourself and Mrs Rughdh, I take it? I think that brings us up to 15 entries already, should be quite the merry little band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Make that 16 , PM sent ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

17, cool I've been looking to head north for a change and this seems like a good introduction

rottenhat wrote: »
    That's for yourself and Mrs Rughdh, I take it? I think that brings us up to 15 entries already, should be quite the merry little band.

It's for me and theclimber. It's my final opportunity this year to get me own back for being dropped on every climb in the SKT :).

The numbers are looking good. I see a 17 downthread. Looking forward to it and the piss-up afterwards.

rughdh wrote: »
    It's for me and theclimber. It's my final opportunity this year to get me own back for being dropped on every climb in the SKT :).

The numbers are looking good. I see a 17 downthread. Looking forward to it and the piss-up afterwards.

Could you PM me theclimber's real name and email address so I know who to send the routesheet to?

Got one more this morning at the Orwell sunday spin so I'd say we're good for 20-30, assuming half-decent weather on the day.

Could you PM me theclimber's real name and email address so I know who to send the routesheet to?
    PM sent.
    Got one more this morning at the Orwell sunday spin so I'd say we're good for 20-30, assuming half-decent weather on the day.
    Great numbers for this time of the year. Fingers crossed on the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 theclimber

This will be my first 200k and first Audax and its flat so Rughdh may get his own back on this one.

@ Rottenhat. Thanks a mill, email received, really looking forward to it.

theclimber wrote:
    rughdh wrote:
    This will be my first 200k and first Audax and its flat so Rughdh may get his own back on this one.

Just don't be the lanterne rouge. I have a reputation to uphold.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Competition :eek: this is not what I had envisioned an audax event to be about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 dancesOnPedals

lanterne-rouge-2008-extrait-1248074436-2269.jpg

I'd prefer a Châteauneuf-du-Pape any day.

Is there a prize for Lanterne rouge?:D

theclimber wrote: »
    No. Your fiver wouldn't cover it. However a prize is offered in some actual races, though. HTH :)

The prize for last place is a cold shower, a stale sandwich and tea you could pave roads with.

The prize for last place is a cold shower, a stale sandwich and tea you could pave roads with.

Will just grab Rughdh's wheel for the first 199k and do a sprint finish so.:D

theclimber wrote: »

I'll buy them a pint.
    Several if I finish a good bit behind everyone :D

Just had a look at long range forecast and looks ok for this. No rain, cold and slightly breezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭csb1989

Are all entries welcome? Whats the policy on bringing a non-boardsie friend? :P

Yep, come one, come all. Just make sure to get your entry to me before Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Unfortunately, I'm out of this. Have not been on a bike since August 31st and am suffering from some serious lack of motiviation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Paid via PayPal.

Just as a quick reminder, the deadline for entries is this Wednesday. It may be possible to show up and enter on the line, but I am not guaranteeing to have enough cards and routesheets to go round if you do this, and please PM me to let me know that you're coming. And as I said before, it will be €8 on the day, and you must arrive by 7:30.

Really looking forward to this (now that I know I don't have to ride the route again until next year).

Thanks for the reply- Im 99% sure to be able to make it but my friend wont, so put just one more down to do it :)

I will get the money to you by snail mail

Wunderbar. Can you PM me with a few details like your real name, club affiliation if any and contact email?

PM sent :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm out. Feeling shít. 200km is not what the doctor ordered.

Have fun.

Raam wrote: »
    I'm out. Feeling shít. 200km is not what the doctor ordered.

Have fun.

You'll never feel better with that attitude :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I thought I might be able to slip this event in but I broke my rear axle at the weekend and wont have it repaired in time... Have a great day!

Won't be able to make it myself after all. :(

Enjoy

Weather for tomorrow looks alot better then the muck we got today but roadss should still be nice and slippy

• Advertisement

And they're off...26 starters, looks like a beautiful day for it.

Now to get dressed and go to work. Bah, humbug.

Congratulations on your first event as organiser, rottenhat, and thanks for your hospitality. The wife wants me to get rid of a few frames. Can I leave them in your back garden? Many thanks also to the tax man and Pat C for organising the food and giving up their day to feed us.

It was a great day on the bike. Some beautiful scenery. I've resolved to go north more from now on. Had to take it easy because of gammylegitis, but on a flattish route there's plenty of time to finish.

Nice to meet new people and meet up with familiar faces, but didn't get the chance to talk to everybody. Might see some of you on Arranmoreelw's Lumpy 200 on Saturday 13th November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

The Dying Light 200. This was a fantastic day sandwiched between a very unsettled Friday and equally bad Sunday. The weather on the day, couldn't have been better for this time of year. So about 07:40, headed off to join the others meeting up in Baggot St. and landed there as Rottenhat was going through the route and reminding people of the bits to watch. Met up with Empty, Oflahero, Andreas etc. Rolled out at about 08:08 through Town onto the North Side up through Finglas and headed up through the back roads around St. Margarets and Oldtown (this section had not the best roads, unfortunately). We had a good routine going with people taking their turn at the front and we eventually landed in Ardee and our first control. The Taxman was there with a van and piles of food and tea/ cofee. It was a very welcome sight and he did a great job sorting us and the Brevet cards out. Once sorted we headed off to Kingscourt and the next control (an 'info' control). There was a nice little climb into Kingscourt which was nice to get the heart going. It took a moment or two to find the place we needed (Murtaghs) and get the information (what year was on the building that was Murtaghs pub - 1898). After this a bit of further climbing which broke the group up a bit unfortunately but we were able to regroup a bit along the road. On our way into Athboy we came across a lot of horse boxes (some event, I presume). We saw The Taxman in his van pass us heading into the town and when we saw him by the side of the road we (wrongly) assumed he was the control. He told us he wasn't and while some went on he rang to find out where the control was. We'd actually just passed it and regrouped there where Paddy had the hot drinks and snacks. I rang Andreas and got them to come back. After that, headed off on the back road to Dunderry. Along this section we passed a row of houses and a number of dogs started barking and one of them gave chase. We speeded up but he was persistent and ended up actually going under both wheels of one of the lads. The dog yelped and legged it and thankfully the rider was ok but had to check his wheels weren't buckled. Thankfully this was pretty much the only incident of the day (not even a puncture). The rest of the route home was fine though the early pace had taken it's toll and our group split a couple of times before gradually coming back together again at least for a while. I was delighted to find that I was feeling fine despite my lack of recent spins and a stupid cold that I'd been unable to shake off. However, Empty and I let the group go on and settled into a slightly gentler pace. This was grand and we had a good chat along the way and took in the sights, the countryside looking beautiful with the trees and hedgerows catching the setting sun. Passing by Luttrelstown Castle and into the Phoenix Park was very pretty. We went straight through the park, along the quays over the Matt Talbot and up to Baggot St. finishing at the final control at 17:00 on the button. Rottenhat was there to greet everyone back and after getting the bikes through the house, we had some tea, port and bits to welcome us back. After a bit of chatting about the day, the plan was to come back to Town and meet up for pints in McCloskeys in Ballsbridge where the outstanding Audax prizes were to be divided. I think it's fair to say a good night was had by all that made it back for this and we chatted about the various events during the year and presented the prizes for those that did the inaugral Irish Fleche and those that achieved the Super Randonneur (200, 300, 400 and 600 events in the season). It was good to catch up, meet people in their normal clothes(!) and also to sign-off on what was a great Audax year 2010. Thanks to the lads for organising the various events during the year and to Rottenhat for organising this one so well (and the lads who did the food). Stats for the day (including trip to and from the start) - Distance: 224km (208km for event), Max: 64.4km/h, Ave: 26.3 km/h, Cycle Time (for the day): 8:30:41, Elapsed (for the event): 8:52), back home for 18:00. Route:
    http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=187052

Parked locally and was first to arrive at Spar on Baggot Street. 7:25 to be sure to be sure. No one there. Getting nervous, 'Make sure it's the right day, right rendevous etc." My first 200+k in three years. I'm a 4hr. max spin cyclist if I can help it.
    They started to arrive. Alot of Boardsies and two from Sorrento. Good crowd. Just getting light as we "HEADED OFF AT 8:10." Rottenhat was having none of this 8:10 bull when we arrived back preferring to add 10 minutes to our time. Slack! :)
    Alot of cyclists and most looked like and were kitted out for long distance stuff. Dynamos etc. One guy had a fab Santos Audax/Tourer with a Rolhoff hub and a belt drive. Great source of amazement.
    Off and soon into country lanes. Autumn colours, leaves etc etc. Slightly slick surfaces. I was running 25mm. heavy touring tyres. Worked out OK. Felt confident.
    Very lumpy from Duleek to Kingscourt. Tiring stuff. Brill food in Ardee even though the hot water went in a flash. I went off for a wee, came back and it was gone. Not to worry, it's a diuretic anyway. (Gaggin for a cup!)
    Happy to see Athboy with about 80k to go. In a bunch of 8 riders who got back to Baggot Street.
    I've had enough of autumnal leafy lanes to do me for life thank you.
    I was thrilled to see concrete buildings, never happier.
    Got back to Rottenhats and swiftly downed a large Ruby Port. Jasus that was good!
    Honkjelly told me we got back in 7:50 saddle time.

Many thanks to rottenhat for a superbly organised spin and Taxman for his unselfish assistance. Very good lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Sorry to hear you didn't get a cuppa PX. I actually had more water in another flask. Even had some hot water left over for Athboy. I was busy signing cards/handing them back and didn't notice the water needed a top up, only when someone asked it was brought to my attention.

No probs. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

My thanks also to Rottenhat for organising this and to Barry and Pat for manning to controls/foodstops. Great day out and a lot of countryside I'd never travelled before - one small two minute shower didn't put a dampener on what was otherwise glorious weather.
    That was me who went over the dog - he was actually running past me but swerved left when he saw an oncoming car so nothing I could do. I had just taken out a water bottle to give him a spray, so don't know how I didn't go down as only had one hand on the bars. I went over his back with both wheels so I'm just glad he had short little legs ! No harm done and he disappeared back to where he came from pronto ,hopefully a little less inclined to go chasing cyclists in the future ....
    Top marks for the organisation and route marking - there was also a big spread laid on at the end and my apologies that I couldn't hang around to do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

Thanks to Rottenhat for the organisation and The Taxman and Pat C for the food stops. Really nice route along the back roads of NCD and Meath. Was a great turn out and really enjoyed hearing about the cycling adventures of some of the guys including UK end to ends, competing in last years RAI, touring the Andes and trans Germany mountain biking. Great food at the stops and at the end. Mince pies are my favourite at this time of the year and Rottenhat was breaking out the apple pies just as I was leaving. Congrats to everyone who took part in Audax this year and especially to the people who picked up the awards. Looking forward to 2011!

So once more into the fray, once more running late and once more overtired due to a late night in work the day before. Out of bed at about 7:18 after accidentally knocking off my alarm I jumped out of bed, slapped on some chamois cream and everything else and ran out the door. Pulling up to Baggot street, I seen a large collection of blinding lights and 30 grown men in high vis jackets. An interesting sight, arriving as everyone is preparing to leave I made myself known to RottenHat who was not entirely shocked that I was late, more shocked that I had actually made it all, my reputation well-earned at this stage. Finally making a start about 8:15.

Everyone took off as I gathered my Brevet card, so I hopped on and took after them a few minutes later, catching up with them at the top of Gardiner street, a tight pack formed and headed through Finglas and on upto St. Margarets.

I realise that in the average Audax event, there is a large variance in speeds, so I expected the group to start to break up once outside the city but unusually the group remained quite tight for a large distance. A few broke off at St. Margarets to follow an alternative route. The routesheet for the Dying Light having been freshly prepared by RottenHat based on the Phibsborough 200, a few who had ridden it before decided to follow their own routes which were learned off by heart. As RottenHat informed me later on, the routesheet was a list of Villages you had to go through and the phrase “You all know the route so there is no need for directions”, or words to that effect, written on top.

The group remained almost entirely together till just before Garristown and then one by one people slowly drifted away, some stopping for various reasons, others pushing hard. Chatted to Cadex for a few minutes, and had Planet X pulling me along for a bit. Emty (who I didn’t get a chance to talk to) was just up at the front. Got chatting to Andreas who filled me in on life in general since we first met at the cancelled first attempt at a 200km, 10months previously. War stories exchanged we continued with the fast group for awhile. For a change I decided to push with them, feeling slightly guilty, I pushed to the front and tried to atone for my wheel sucking for the previous 2 hours. Stayed up at the front for a while, our illustrious leader with GPS (one of the Orwell lads, sorry I am so bad with names, I met him before at a spin in Wicklow early in the year). After a bit of climbing though, I decided the pace was a little faster than I wanted or more realistically my pace varied so much on hills up or down, i felt it safer to hold back and let them scoot ahead, not before one or two had called me a show off for staying in a high gear, to which I had to point out that I was not in a high gear, or a low gear, in fact I was in the only gear that I had brought out with me.

At 65.5km I met my on and off cycling buddy for the day, he too had decided to leave the fast group fire on ahead as well and had been relying on the GPS for so long that he wasn’t completely sure of his position on the routesheet. Luckily after a few minutes, we both happily agreed where we were and set off for Ardee.

As we approached the control, I was surprised to see a Garda Armed Response Unit drive past, not really what you expect to see on a typical day in Ardee and as only a few of us had heard the news on the day, the interesting rumours were abound, I decided in line with a post earlier in the year that it was an American with a Magnum strapped to his downtube but this turned out to be incorrect.

Arriving in Ardee we were happy to find The Tax Man waiting for us, with quite the fantastic set up. A tea/coffee station set up out the side of his van and a food station out the back door, it was quite the professional set up and was the talk of the riders that I came across for the day.

DSC00755.JPG

DSC00756.JPG

DSC00757.JPG

While waiting here one of the riders from the group in front came up to me and pointed out that my saddle was obviously too high as I was bouncing around all over the place. I was bouncing about a bit but I disagreed about the height of the saddle, not sure (at the time) what the problem was but I just ignored it. Leaving Ardee, nicely stocked up on Elevenses bars, I headed for Kingscourt. I was, though, a little uncomfortable in my saddle, in fact, with every passing km I became slightly more and more uncomfortable, but I continued to ignore it.

1km from Kingscourt, there was a minor warning on the route sheet:
    RottenHat
    L@T (and climb!)

It is common practice for route sheets to contain warnings, worryingly though when RottenHat puts a warning about climbing, there is a good chance that the average man may not survive.

Turning the corner, I decide to take a minute, to take a few supplies. My cycling buddy caught up with me and we prepared to take off. I let him set off ahead as I feared with my “gentle gearing” I would be slightly slower. As it turns out, the climb while not desperately steep but it does go on for the entire kilometre and I had no choice but to put the boot down and get there as I knew if I stopped, there would be no restart. Ergo I overtook my pal but with repercussions’ of my stupid legs having a stern conversation with my head just outside of Kingscourt.

Getting into Kingscourt we found Murtaghs and the year (at the very top of the building), my friend left me here as I wanted to stock up my jersey and so I let him fire away.

DSC00758.JPG

DSC00759.JPG

Got into Kells and luckily enough seen the right sign for the turn off, apparently I overtook my friend here as he missed the sign and ended up on the N52 heading for Mullingar. On the way to Athboy I stopped off at a pub for a much needed toilet break fearing that tiredness and necessity may be the cause of my un-comfortableness in the saddle. Alas it was not but as I quickly found out, when the annoyance got the better of me I hopped off to find out that quite stupidly, my saddle was slightly loose and the previouy mentioned jumping and my own comfortableness was clearly a result of this. 2 seconds retightening the bolt and low and behold, I was a new force and found the rhythm I had been sorely lacking. If only I had had the common sense to actually question why I had a problem, a lot of time and hassle could have been saved.

Reaching Athboy I found Pat C and The Tax Man waiting with another fully stocked control. Alas being near the rear the hot water was nearly gone but there was enough for a cuppa for myself which is all I needed. More importantly, ham and cheese sandwiches, the midlands finest. Alot of thanks to Pat for the sandwiches as they done me wonders for the rest of the day. Along came MayoGirl as I was having my tea to point out I was indeed the “crazy guy on a fixed gear”. Always nice when your reputation precedes you.

DSC00760.JPG

DSC00761.JPG

I took off from Athboy and caught up with my cycling buddy and one of the boards lads (I presume it was Neris but I get the usernames mixed so feel free to correct me) but I flew past. I had a bit of energy and fearing it would run out, I pushed past.

The I came across a horse show in Culmullin, easily 40 or 50 horse trailers + all the local stables and studs with their stock out for treks. Alot of people were unsure what such a large show was on for but the sign on the church indicated that it was indeed to raise money for the local N.S., if anyone is still wondering. A more interesting traffic jam then I am used to in Dublin but fun, lots of nods from the horsie folk and nice and respectful driving by everyone going through. Alas here was my first mistake as far as the route goes, I took a left at a crossroad a bit before I should have, luckily enough, a km up the road I came across some locals and checked could I get to Kilcloon church from there. I could, I even had two options but they advised the longer as it was a better road, saying thanks, I set off and hoped for the best. I added about 10km on to my trip but I made it to the church on time. Alas I did not know which direction I would have originally come across the church on. I knocked off the road I came in on, it was down to two. I eventually figured it was one of the two when a local girl came by and I had to ask, she pointed me in the other direction, so I went back to the cross and contemplated her suggestion. It didn’t make sense but she said where I was going was wrong. I sat there for a bit when low and behold, those who I had quite rudely pulled away from earlier came out from a side road. As it turns out, the road I thought was right was but after this I was happy to have company so I felt more certain. From here on we were on quite narrow roads but a lovely pleasant cycle, the road panned out nice and flat and we kept a nice strong pace going and enjoyed some lovely scenery.

A quick spin through Phoenix park we found ourselves back right in the middle of rush hour traffic, a bit of deliberation and we choose heading up the Quays, interesting bit of traffic dodging going on, we went for Talbot bridge so as to avoid the crazy traffic on O’Connell bridge.

Getting to RottenHats place, we were treated to a very refreshing Hot Port (as my legs started to seize ever so slightly). To be honest as pleased as I was to be sitting and relaxed, all I could think was if there was no one else there I’d be having Rottenhats beautiful custom bike plus his lovely collection of books.

As I left, to the best of my knowledge everyone made it but RottenHat can confirm this.

Later that evening, I joined a couple of Audax Irelands finest in McCloskeys in Donnybrook for a few pints, awards were handed out and applauses were given and received, a fantastic night (although I fear one or two or all, may have had a bit too much). War stories exchanged, tips given. RottenHat filled me in on how ridiculous in general my attempts at Audax events over the year have been.

On the plus, along with two events completed, many I’ll have to retry next year to get right, I was informed (and I hope no one corrects me on this) that in 2010 my big claim to fame is that I am the only person to complete an Irish Audax on a fixed gear (never let anyone tell you that ignorance and/or lack of intelligence is a curse).

Congratulations to all the lads who received their SR awards, medals etc. on the night, quite the list of achievements from the Irish Audax contingent.

Thanks again to RottenHat for a great day, an all-round fantastic day, a few errors in choice and practicality on my behalf for the day but it wouldn’t be an event for me if I didn’t make a few mistakes.

Planet X wrote: »
    Just getting light as we "HEADED OFF AT 8:10." Rottenhat was having none of this 8:10 bull when we arrived back preferring to add 10 minutes to our time. Slack! :)

Hey, the ride starts at 8...if you want to spend the first ten minutes hanging out with the taxi drivers in front of the Spar, who am I to judge?
    CramCycle wrote: »
    RottenHat filled me in on how ridiculous in general my attempts at Audax events over the year have been.

Sounds like I was at my most charming - I usually am after a few pints.

Many thanks to everyone who came out, your willingness to ride 200km in October was definitely rewarded by the weather gods. A big shout out to the Taxman and Pat for running the controls at Ardee and Athboy, every rider who came through my door mentioned how well you had taken care of them. Hope to see you all back next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement