Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing and Moving of Threads in After Hours

Options
  • 03-10-2010 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

Why is it that some moderators in After Hours move threads that seemingly appear to be perfect for that forum? Granted, AH is easily the toughest gig on the forum but it is just becoming more and more frustrating to be a regular poster there these days. I am aware that moderators can't always make the right decision and are bound to not always get things just right, however it seems to me, that it is the same two mods that tend to this time and again and ignoring the fact that they are winding users up.

Is it a coincidence that two mods that seem to consistently make these poor judgments calls, seem to be the two that rarely post there as regular users and not as moderators? I don't think so. I think to get After Hours, you need to have been a regular of the forum and continue to be one. Why?

Well, I think it helps that you get a feel for what type of threads the regular users of that forum enjoy and which ones they don't. The past six months, the forum has gotten far more serious and gloomy. Christ, even with all last years Roma threads, there was a decent bit of craic going on at the same in the forum on other threads, so you could just avoid those threads along with the regular religious / abuse topics of the time. There was a great atmosphere on the forum and while still there, it is just no where near what it was.

After Hours is a great forum with a great bunch of posters. No forum on Boards has a cast of characters like it. I know there will always be some Mods that come along and moderate a forum perfectly and become a regular and indeed that is what has happened in AH in the case of one of three mods that were appointed at the same time a while back.

I am fully aware that some threads do belong elsewhere on Boards and that there are specific forums where those threads would be far better off, particularly and most importantly if the OP is clearly looking for very specific answers and naively just posted in After Hours thinking that they might get them there. It's rare that I see an OP in shock at replies to their thread, AmericanGirl the other night being one of the first in ages and in the end, even she enjoyed most of the replies.

I remember a discussion on how it would be best to warn users of the more non-serious replies they might get in response to threads that they start on the non-serious forums like AH, but can't recall if a solution was found for that or not.

Anyway, a different issue.

Also, just for the record, I am not complaining about Soccer threads being moved by the way or someone starting a thread hoping that a user could recommend a mechanic in Dublin or wanting to know what's the best course to take at UCD. I know that some people might post in AH just for the very fact that it is busier that most other forums on Boards and so start it there simple as they know their thread will get more attention than if they started it elsewhere on Boards.

However, if their thread is suited to the forum and users are posting in it, then why move it?

Why close threads that are fun and that users on After Hours are clearly enjoying and then say that there is a specific forum for that? Why do those moderators not move all the constant bloody political threads to the Politics Forum if that truly is their stance that they wish to take on AH threads?

(I don't think Political threads should by the way - well, not all of them at least).

Can't we just cut back on the closing and moving of threads in After Hours, particularly when it is clear from reading the OP, that the poster has only started the thread for the craic. Again, not talking about nonsensical threads, but threads that have a topic worth discussing. Maybe there is a specific forum where they the topic of the thread would get discussed in depth on another forum, but if the OP wanted to discuss the topic in the tone that those forums do, then they would have started the thread there themselves.

An AH Mod worth their salt, should be able tell the difference between a thread that should be moved to the Food Forum for instance and one that shouldn't, like the Tayto vs King thread, which was really just a 'Pub Conversation' type thread. If someone is likely to bring something up as a topic down the pub that chances are a good few of the pubs regulars would likely join in on, then I see no reason why a thread on the same topic should be closed in AH just because there is a specific forums where they discuss that particular topic all the time.

AH is supposed to be a general discussion forum at the end of the day. A few threads a week on different topics that are discussed elsewhere on Boards does no harm and only adds to the forum in my eyes and breaks the monotony of threads being constantly started on the same subjects. A few less Political threads and Religious ones might help address that balance for starters.

Which I know is another problem as you then have to choose which Political and Religious threads to allow and which to lock or move. I do find it strange that some topics are moved instantly though and yet threads on Politics seem to have no limit.

Can't we try and keep the mood of After Hours somewhat lighter than elsewhere on Boards, and not be so restrictive on what we can and can't discuss there?

ahpubguy.jpg
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,958 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Whats probably the most confusing is when one AH mod joins in with a thread and only a few posts later a second AH mod closes the thread stating its inappropriate. Is there a hierarchy amongst AH mods, and if not why does one AH mod get to overrule another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Quazzie wrote: »
    Whats probably the most confusing is when one AH mod joins in with a thread and only a few posts later a second AH mod closes the thread stating its inappropriate.

Indeed, here is one such thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056049522
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Is there a hierarchy amongst AH mods, and if not why does one AH mod get to overrule another?

No hierarchy between moderators, just that some have a feel for the forum and some don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The "Why are vegetarians fat?" thread was an obvious troll thread started by an obvious troll, but then it developed into a discussion on whether being a vegetarian guarantees a healthy weight or not, and was getting interesting... then it was moved to the Vegetarianism forum and promptly locked by a mod over there because of all the silliness, noting "This was only ever going to be an AH thread" and I'd agree.
    When there's a light-heartedness to a thread on a particular topic/theme, the forum for the topic/theme in question is not always the right forum for it, whereas After Hours can be - e.g. "Hilarious college tales": AH or College?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I could never figure out the criteria to be honest. 95% of the threads posted in AH could be posted in one of the more specific forums. Seems fairly arbitrary which threads are moved and which are allowed develop. But then again it's been the exact same for the last 5 years at least and it seems to work for whatever reason.

Can you think of some kind of objective way to decide which threads stay and which are moved on Pete? Comes across as a pretty impossible task to me in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

People post threads in AH for a reason, to have the option of having a light hearted discussion on a topic. The only time a thread should be moved imo, is when it is obviously wrongly posted in AH. ie, asking a question about social welfare, asking about a Visa or posting a personal problem like feeling suicidal, etc.
    There's also little point in moving a thread when it's already 2-3 pages long and has been AHified as it will most likely not suit the forum it has been moved to at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some posters will post in AH to reach a larger audience, and for some there simply are no other forums - if you take any AH regular and look where they have started threads it's mostly in AH.

The fat vegetarians thread was locked appropriately and if anyone wants to discuss the benefits of the veggie diet there are the Veg forum and the Diet forum for starters. There are so many forum on boards that people just don't know about and by moving an occasional thread there I can help AH regulars discover other forums.

I have opened the Silly Driving thread again. Not because Micky has posted in it but hopefully we'll get a few good stories and it seems AH posters doesn't visit Motor (this is a similar current thread in Motors).

I'll take the OP to heart though Pete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

biko wrote: »
    The fat vegetarians thread was locked appropriately
    Well it was moved, then locked by one of that forum's moderators because of being AH-ified (thanks for that expression WindSock :pac:).

Some posters will post in AH to reach a larger audience ..

I addressed that in the OP, maybe you missed it, here it is again:
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    I know that some people might post in AH just for the very fact that it is busier that most other forums on Boards and so start it there simple as they know their thread will get more attention than if they started it elsewhere on Boards.

However, if their thread is somewhat suited to the forum and users are posting in it, then why move it?

Point being that if their thread is suitable for the forum, then it should stay, the fact that they were looking to post in a busier forum should be secondary to whether or not their thread would be a good one or not for AH.

Of course, if a thread is started in After Hours just for the very reason that the user wants to post it on a forum with a larger audience than elsewhere on Boards and their thread is wholly unsuitable for AH, then I agree with it being locked, the following two being good recent prime examples:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056050036

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056050471

I have opened the Silly Driving thread again. Not because Micky has posted in it but hopefully we'll get a few good stories and it seems AH posters doesn't visit Motor (this is a similar current thread in Motors).

You don't get it.

After Hours regulars do post in the Motor Forum.

It's just that they expect a different type of reply there, compared to when they post in After hours. Which of course was the exact same argument that users put to you and other moderators when they proposed the World Cup thread for After Hours as opposed to discussing it in the Soccer Forum.

Course when they explained in the Feedback thread that what they were looking for from that thread was light hearted discussion and not necessarily the same type of soccer debates that you would get in the Soccer Forum, you went back to After Hours and posted in the thread were users were being asked if they would like a WC thread and implied that we had been acting like babies in the Feedback thread:
    Biko wrote: »
    I've been picking up toys and dummies all day.

I hope you don't think that of this thread also.
    I'll take the OP to heart though Pete.

Not sure if your being sarcastic or not but the OP is not about you, it's about After Hours and there were complaints about which threads should and shouldn't be locked long before you became a moderator there.
    .. by moving an occasional thread there I can help AH regulars discover other forums.

Was that your thinking on moving my thread about the dream I had about Michael O'Leary molesting me in a supermarket, that you just wanted to show After Hours regulars that there was a Sleeping and Dreaming forum?

Hhhhmm, don't you think that is a little harsh on the OP's of some of those threads that "occasionally" get moved, as even though they might be decent threads that are suitable to AH, Biko wanted to show users that there are other forums on Boards.

I agree with your sentiments by the way, it's a good thing for sure to want let AH regulars know more about the other forums on Boards, I post links to other forums on AH all the time for OPs when I think they would appreciate it, but shouldn't you save the moving of threads to other forums on Boards for the threads that usually are going to get locked.

Seems a bit unfair to move a perfectly good After Hours thread, just because you want to let people know that there are some other forums on Boards.

You know, the reason I started this thread at the time that I did, was because as I was replying to Phasers post on the following thread and it was suddenly locked:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056050344&highlight=girls

Funny thing is, that the thread is now open again and your post is gone telling the OP to post in the forum where he was from.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I feel that most threads that are closed are closed for a good reason. The mods on AH have to make several hundred actions per week and do so with the information we have to hand. some of this information is not in the public domain. Out of the several hundred actions we make, we do get some of it wrong.

Believe it or not, as a team, we are our own biggest critics, we even have a special thread where we can question other AH mod decisions. Again , unless you tell us we don't know how well/poorly we are doing. We appreciate feed back.

With some of the examples highlighted here, I would like to explain some of my actions, particularly on this thread. When a thread starts with something like that "if the mods want to move it then thats fine." I will nearly close all types of these threads. If it were not closed/moved it would only encourage more threads of the same vein. AH isn't HelpDesk or the Newbie and FAQ forum.

In that thread, it was already off topic before the 3rd post. The OP would be better served posting it elsewhere.

If any poster has an objection to a closure, they can always PM a mod for an explanation.

Pete, what would be your preferred outcome of all of this?

I feel that most threads that are closed are closed for a good reason.

Most threads are closed for good reason but this is about threads that are not.
    The mods on AH have to make several hundred actions per week and do so with the information we have to hand.

I appreciate that but it still doesn't excuse some of the locked and moved threads.

As I said, if they were 'grey area' threads where it looked as if it was a tough call, I would say fair enough as I think would most AH users.
    Out of the several hundred actions we make, we do get some of it wrong.

Again, I do appreciate that but there is a 'getting it wrong' and then there is completely missing the point of AH, which I feel is indeed the case with some of the locks and moves.
    Again , unless you tell us we don't know how well/poorly we are doing. We appreciate feed back.

Grand.
    With some of the examples highlighted here, I would like to explain some of my actions, particularly on this thread.

No need to explain your actions on that thread, a trained monkey (no pun intended :p) could see that the OP of that thread would not get the replies that they so clearly were looking for and that she would really be better off posting it on another forum.

I don't think anyone has issues with threads like that bean moved, indeed I linked to that very thread above as a perfect example of threads that should be moved (or indeed locked in this case as it clearly been AHified®)

Today there was another thread locked that nobody would or should have issues with. These are not the types of threads that people have problems with when they are closed or moved.

Last night there was another that was better suited to a specific forum and your closing post got well thanked as a result.

I am aware that it might sound so far like a I only have issues with threads Biko has closed and not any closed by other AH Mods, but that's not the case.
    If any poster has an objection to a closure, they can always PM a mod for an explanation.

Well, I very rarely (almost never) have threads moved myself and this is really a problem with something I see happening to others. I am regularly replying to threads and get the 'Sorry This Thread Is Closed' message, as was the case yesterday with the Pyjamma Thread, which was why I started this thread in the first place.

That thread is now open again and the post announcing it's closure with the comment that the OP should start the thread in the Cork forum has been deleted, did the OP request it be opened again?

So that's now two threads that have been reopened since this thread was started and both of which were locked (and unlocked) by the same Mod.

I did have a thread moved last week and PM'd the same mod. It was that Michael O'Leary molestation thread about one of my nightmares and if that thread wasn't suited to AH, then I really don't know what is.

I got a reply implying that I only posted the thread in the forum for attention and when I explained that that was not the case and that the thread was clearly an AH thread, he never replied.

I realise that I could have gone the 'Dispute Resolution' route but I really didn't want to go down that road over one moved thread.
    Pete, what would be your preferred outcome of all of this?

More consistency on the type of threads that get locked and moved.

Most of the AH moderators are well able to tell when a thread is going to be suitable for AH and when they're not and also well able to know when a thread has fallen apart and no longer on topic and should be locked, so I don't see why that ability is not as contagious as it undoubtedly should be.

I would really like to see a discussion amongst moderators and AH users on what they want from AH. What type of threads they would like to see and what type they dread seeing. What threads they wish were locked and what type they would prefer stayed open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

FarmerGreen infracted for continued irrelevant posts, trolling, in feedback threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Pete, did you ever think that maybe people are happy with the way things are?

Every time there's a manufactured outcry about some mod action on AH there's a core of users that are always quick to post about it, speaking on behalf of other, silent, users.
    It's come to the point where I'm wondering where their concern for the forum ends and personal grudges against mods begin.

I don't see what gives you any more authority to speak about what, exactly, the purpose of AH is as opposed to anyone else. I'm not saying you shouldn't give feedback but perhaps you should temper it with the thought that AH is not your pet project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

the absolute worst thing AH-mods do is move threads from AH, with "AH type" comments riddled through it, and expect the receiving mods to do the clean up, or just accept the thread.

I would respectfully ask the AH mods to think before moving a thread.

Should a thread be moved, in it's current state is it suitable for the target forum, or if not, just close the damn thing.

It happened with that fat veggies thread, I mean, as if it was going to last in the Veg forum :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Des wrote: »
    It happened with that fat veggies thread, I mean, as if it was going to last in the Veg forum :rolleyes:

Agreed.

It would have been a tough one for the vegetarians to digest.

Morkarleth wrote: »
    Pete, did you ever think that maybe people are happy with the way things are?

Some users are not happy with some actions of some mods and being one of those users, I am entitled to give my views.

I have not demanded anything here, have made the points I wanted to make and left it at that.
    Every time there's a manufactured outcry ..

There is no "manufactured outcry" from myself or anybody else.

I have an issue with what I see as the needless locking and moving of SOME threads on AH and also with which threads seem to get allowed and with which threads seem to get moved.

So, the other night, while replying to the Pyjama Girls thread, which was suddenly locked (then reopened a few hours after this thread was started) I just felt that the the time was right to start a discussion on it. Particularly after seeing, what I felt were many other threads needlessly getting locked and moved earlier in the week, one of my own being my one of them.

You too are entitled to give your views on the closing and moving of threads in After Hours, nobody would have a problem with you airing your views and saying you think all threads moved and locked have been perfectly fine, so why is it exactly that you have an issue with me saying that I don't?
    It's come to the point where I'm wondering where their concern for the forum ends and personal grudges against mods begin.

I don't have any personal grudges with any moderators nor do I have any grudges with the AH moderators as a whole.

Indeed, I have recently started threads in Feedback complementing AH mods and recently have taken issue when they were accused ignoring sexist comments and also when they were accused of being "negligent" when it came to the treatment of ethnic groups in AH.
    I don't see what gives you any more authority to speak ..

I am giving my opinions and not for a second am I saying or implying that I am speaking for all the users of After Hours.
    .. speaking on behalf of other, silent, users.

So now you are speaking on "behalf " of the "silent" users of After Hours??

Interesting.

Strike a nerve did I, Pete?

I've just noticed that the same names crop up whenever there's a controversy regarding AH, usually singing from the same hymn-sheet and falling over one another to thank each others posts.

When you lecture, on thread, about what AH is (or should be, in your view), yes it does sound like you're speaking for everyone.
    My point is that if the vast majority of users are not kicking up a fuss then perhaps it is you that is the problem, not the mods or their actions.

Strike a nerve did I, Pete?

Nope, sorry .. was that your intention?

You asked me some questions and I'm just answering them.
    My point is that if the vast majority of users are not kicking up a fuss then perhaps it is you that is the problem, not the mods or their actions.

That's not how it works.

When myself and a few others felt that After Hours would benefit form having it's own dedicated World Cup thread, there were just a few AH regulars that came to Feedback arguing the need for it.

According to you, because there was only a few of us in Feedback saying that a WC thread would be good for AH, then it must be us that have a problem as droves of AH users were not descending on Feedback to agree with us.

In the end, a thread was started in After Hours to discuss that issue and after a Poll, there was overwhelming support for it.

Maybe I am wrong and those threads I spoke of earlier should have been locked, but if I am wrong, then why where two of those threads reopened the night I started this thread?

Nope, sorry .. was that your intention?

Just to say what I've been keeping to myself for some time. I think egos and cliques are emerging; happens to all big forums, really but I dislike how they feel they can dictate how things should be.

And as for the WC thread... we all know how much of a pain it is to get into Soccer. Seems to me that it came about more due to laziness (not wanting to bother getting access to Soccer) than anything else.
    Whatever happened to posting in the correct forum? What's the point of even having them if people are just going to post to AH instead?

That's my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Des wrote: »
    the absolute worst thing AH-mods do is move threads from AH, with "AH type" comments riddled through it, and expect the receiving mods to do the clean up, or just accept the thread.

I would respectfully ask the AH mods to think before moving a thread.

I agree with this.

If I am moving a thread I always lock it and delete AHs responses, then re open it and move it to the correct forum.

Then I Pm the Mods of whatever Forum I have moved it to.

I do this to make them aware of the thread in case AHs users follow it and post AHs style not realising it has been moved.

I have sometimes moved a thread and forgot to unlock it resulting in a quick Pm to the Mods of that forum to let them know about it.

It helps them if they are made aware of any thread moved to their forum so the forum can continue in it's proper vein.

• Advertisement

Whatever happened to posting in the correct forum? What's the point of even having them if people are just going to post to AH instead?

Did you even read the thread?

Many users have addressed the fact that users will post in AH for different reasons than they will elsewhere on Boards.

I believe Windsock put it very well here:
    WindSock wrote: »
    People post threads in AH for a reason, to have the option of having a light hearted discussion on a topic. The only time a thread should be moved imo, is when it is obviously wrongly posted in AH. ie, asking a question about social welfare, asking about a Visa or posting a personal problem like feeling suicidal, etc.

And as for the WC thread... Seems to me that it came about more due to laziness (not wanting to bother getting access to Soccer) than anything else.

I think this will be my last reply to you as you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

There were almost 3000 posts in that WC thread during the summer and the vast majority of the users that posted in it, also all have access to the Soccer Forum, I know because I am one of them.

Granted, I mainly lurk there due to the fact that most there know a hell of a lot more about the game than I do and so I just tend to post when Villa play.

See, what you fail to understand or just simply don't want to, is that people have different reasons for posting in different forums and they will discuss things in After Hours that they might not wish to discuss elsewhere on Boards, due to the non-serious nature of the forum.

Indeed, I think the Doc put it very well himself in the following post:
    Fair play to URL and outlawpete for pushing for this and jonjo for starting the thread.

It was a very enjoyable thread on a topic I probably wouldn't have posted much about if only the soccer forum were available.

Fine, Pete, I said what I wanted to. Are you really going to stop engaging with me because you think I've no idea what I'm talking about, or because you don't think I'm a "regular" and therefore my opinion is worth less than the clique's?

Are you really going to stop engaging with me because you think I've no idea what I'm talking about ..

I don't think you don't, I know you don't.

After the first couple of posts that you made on this thread that were deleted, I shouldn't have bothered engaging with you anyway.

You live, you learn.
    ...you don't think I'm a "regular" ..

I have replied to your posts more than any other user on this thread and you suggest I have issues with you because you are not a "regular".

Sure you're a member of Boards since 2003, longer than I am.
    ..therefore my opinion is worth less than the clique's?

What clique?

I don't think you don't, I know you don't.

Enlighten me.

As regards the clique, it's a small core of users who post to every AH related feedback thread, thank each others posts and generally back up each others points.

Any criticism of their points is met with "you don't get AH" or similar, as if their idea of what AH should be is the be-all and end-all.

Enlighten me.

I have already done so.

You implied that AH users of the WC thread were just too lazy to get access to the Soccer Forum, when in fact the vast majority of the AH users that used that thread this summer, all have access to the Soccer Forum.

You make statements such as:

'Whatever happened to posting in the correct forum?

What's the point of even having them if people are just going to post to AH instead?'

All these points have been addressed and rather than argue the responses that those users made regarding the above, you just ignore (don't read?) them and then go on and make the same redundant points all over again.

Or maybe you just expect users to make the same points on the reasons why they start threads in After Hours, all over again - just for your benefit like?
    As regards the clique, it's a small core of users who post to every AH related feedback thread..

Really, and have the members of that clique posted on this AH related Feedback thread?

Dudess and Windsock are the two AH regulars that I recall, that have posted on this thread, are they in this clique you speak of?

If they are, then they are really not doing a very good job, as I notice that they have never 'thanked' any of my posts :mad:

As a matter of fact, other than my OP, so far NONE of my posts have been thanked on this thread.

Which leads me to the same conclusion again, you have no idea what you are talking about.
    .. (the clique) thank each others posts and generally back up each others points.

Sounds good, where do I sign up?

Okay, fine. I don't know what I'm talking about, I don't get AH, whatever it is, I don't care any more. I always kept silent because I knew this is what I'd come up against, so fine. **** it.

.. fine. I don't know what I'm talking about ..

When you accuse people of being in a clique that goes around thanking each others posts, what do you expect exactly?
    I don't get AH, whatever it is ..

Who said that YOU specifically, don't get AH?

Can you quote them please?
    I always kept silent because I knew this is what I'd come up against, so fine. **** it.

Oh stop portraying yourself as a victim.

I'm the only one that has replied to your posts and your acting as if you have been savaged by the AH mafiosa.

This is laughable, I'm done with this.

Two of those locked threads I complained about are now open and who knows, maybe next time I have a nightmare where an airline boss takes advantage of me while I'm out grocery shopping, and start a thread about it, perhaps it will be allowed to remain, here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

As regards the clique, it's a small core of users who post to every AH related feedback thread, thank each others posts and generally back up each others points.

I'm no fan of cliques, believe me, and they do exist. Mostly in private though, I've found.

But. Is it not possible that these folk back each other up because they happen to agree with one another?

I haven't a bulls notion who outlawpete is, or practically all of the people on AH these days, but I still thank their posts if I agree with them. And one doesn't get more public an airing on boards than on AH.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But. Is it not possible that these folk back each other up because they happen to agree with one another?

I haven't a bulls notion who outlawpete is, or practically all of the people on AH these days, but I still thank their posts if I agree with them. And one doesn't get more public an airing on boards than on AH.
    That would be my take too. When that "Now ye're lovin" thing was made up the lads in the office, there were names on that I barely know at all, but presumably I had thanked their posts and vice versa?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

As regards the clique, it's a small core of users who post to every AH related feedback thread,

I don't know if you are referring to me here, but I'll presume you are as I tend to post here a bit on AH related stuff. I post here on most AH related threads as I am giving my Feedback on the forum I frequent the most. When something happens there that I disagree with, I will post my views about it here. Is that not the purpose of this forum?

There are some here who's posts I usually agree with or they may agree with mine, is that what makes us a clique? I could probably pull out several examples where I disagree with the exact same posters on other threads too, but I am not terribly arsed at the moment.

Long story short: Feedback, that's what this forum is for. I reckon.

Advertisement