Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech- too early??

Options
  • 03-10-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Friend of mine was giving a HUGE amount of what looks to be beech but its all bare roots.

Will it survive if I plant tomorrow?
    How far apart should I plant? The site I'm looking at planting them on is 1 acre.
    Hope theses pictures work!
    beech3-1.jpg

beech2.jpg

Beech1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can't access your photos but if the roots are still damp (you should have them covered with old carpet or sacks to keep them moist) you should be ok. It was very warm and drying today so they would dry out quickly. Put them in about a foot to 2 ft apart, depending on how big they are. Smaller ones would have a better chance. A staggered row would make a better hedge. Do they still have any green leaf on them?

If they are huge bushes that have been dug out (say over 4 - 5ft) then you could well lose a few, but you might as well give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Cheers
    Think the pics might be working now??

The trees are about 7ft tall with branches on top with a few leafs.

He got them in bunches of 15 tied together and they weren't burried very well but still alive!

J

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

They are very tall, so huge risk of wind rock. IMO not suitable for planting on an exposed site without strong support. Beech whips are inexpensive, and better to plant ones which are < 1.0m and as previously suggested, plant double line and 300mm - 900mm apart. The spacing isn't critical, as Beech can spread very well, it's just as young plants/whips, and therefore closer spacing looks better until plants develop. Important to heel plants regularly.

If you want to use the taller plants, you could plant at acute angles in order to reduce the height.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I really think you are going to have a row of beech trees rather than a hedge with those. I agree with Sonnenblumen that you could save yourself a lot of aggravation by starting with smaller whips.

However if you want to go ahead with those, I would cut out the leading shoot, then nip out the tips of the side shoots. The suggestion to plant at an angle is a good one, in the same way that hawthorn is/used be planted for layering. This means that the branches of one disguise the stem of the plant a few feet away. They will need some support until they get established. If you plant at an angle, think in terms of one post supporting two whips at different distances along their stems.

edit - look up 'laying beech hedges' before you do anything. The suggestions for creating hedgerow seem to be based on very similar to what you have.

Advertisement