Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai prepare plan for Queen's arrival

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Notice the barracks? Soldier in there.

err yeah, what else would you put in a barracks:confused:

they've got a big one of them in Kildare I noticed as well, is that an occupation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

gurramok wrote: »
    Its disturbing that you put the rights of extremists above public safety.

So the the likes of the scumbags who trashed O'Connell St are the final arbiters of who gets what rights eh? Because that's what you are, in essence, advocating.
    You be happy waving a union jack so we know what camp your in. Never crossed your mind to wave a tricoluour, the flag of our nation?

What camp am I in?
    You must really be ashamed to be Irish.:mad::(

Don't be such a drama queen. How on earth does welcoming a sovereign of another state make one ashamed of their own country?

No. But they should not be allowed parade past the Omagh or Enniskillen bomb sites in black balaclavas, and if a civic government is too stupid to realise this and lets them, when the following inevitable hiding ensues I would not consider them innocent victims nor compare them to a girl wearing a short skirt being raped.

Love Ulster wanted to walk down O'Connell St.

I made the analogy because you and others are blaming Love Ulster for the violence that others perpetrated, and worse, seeking to withdraw civil liberties from them. You are blaming the victim for the actions of their assailants. And rewarding the actions of the criminal minded by giving them exactly what they wanted in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

admittedly I haven't been to all of it, but I had a trip around the northern parts a while back and there was no army of occupation there as far as I could tell.

With what we know now, no it shouldn't. But that's not my point, my point is more about your constant dramatisation of events.

lol :rolleyes:

Well he was advocating the basic "don't be a retard" rule. You know, things like it is advisable to carefully pick your apparel before sauntering down the falls.

So someone who holds a small British flag in Dublin, or welcomes the queen is a retard and deserves to be attacked?

Tell me, even if she was uber loved by all and not just by people like Myers, would she need as much protection? Yes she would. Sure the pope did, did he not? Cant blame republicans for that can you? If it was not republicans it would be Bin Ladin.

What on earth are you talking about? It's no secret that the greatest threat to her security would come from Republicans. Hence she requires more protection than, say, the Queen of the Netherlands. And hence the security bill is greater. Pretty simple stuff really.
    Do you even think that the dissies even have the capability to assassinate the old bag? Considering they struggle to make a working pipe bomb? Do they have the logistical ability to attack her? No they don't.

:confused: She'd been protected because there is a credible threat to her safety here. And it stems mostly from Republicans.
    Personally as a republican I do not want to see some old woman dead, I would rather she would remain outside of this country.

Fair enough. I'll welcome the visit. Guess that makes me a West Brit.

Tell me, we got on grand trade wise with Britain for how long without a visit? What will this accomplish?

It'll add to the normalisation of relations between the two nations. That alone makes it worthwhile.
    Why is she coming? Coming here to apologize for acts carried out by her armed forces on this island during her reign? To apologize for giving said scum honors?

I don't know what she proposes to do once here. Maybe she'll visit the site where her uncle, his wife and two young boys were blown to pieces by murdering scum.

It sickens me that people have such short memories. She is the head of Britains armed forces. They are still occupying this island. She gave the fcuking bloody sunday paras honors ffs, and you want to roll out the red carpet?

I don't have a short memory. But I do want this nation to move on. I want us to have normal relations with our nearest neighbour.

The only thing this visit will accomplish is to create a huge bill, and huge protests of which I will be part of. We do not need nor want her here. This proposed visit will have no positive outcome, I promise you that.

You mean you don't want her here. Big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Just re the Love Ulster parade.

That was done deliberately to create a reaction. Willie Frazer who organised it is a man who has previously said he has a lot of respect for Billy Wright. He was also refused a gun licence on grounds of being a known associate of loyalist paramilitaries.

I'd have no problem with a march on o'connell st in recognition of victims of republican (anyone remember the anti-IRA protests by Irish people after the warrington bomb in the early 90s packing out the entirety of oconnell st ??) violence but I wouldn't show up with loyalist flags playing tunes. That would be like victims of loyalist violence marching down the Shankill with IRA banners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 kilkenny_kid

What the queen needs is a jizz spray. Auld Phil ain't what he used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Maybe if we ask her nicely she'll take us back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Einhard wrote: »
    So the the likes of the scumbags who trashed O'Connell St are the final arbiters of who gets what rights eh? Because that's what you are, in essence, advocating.

You show no disregard for the wellbeing of ordinary people. Actually you are supporting scum by advocating such an event which brings violence to our streets.
    What camp am I in?

British monarchist camp waving your union jack.
    Einhard wrote:
    Don't be such a drama queen. How on earth does welcoming a sovereign of another state make one ashamed of their own country?

You're waving a British flag with no intention of waving an Irish flag. You show your loyalty and true colours there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Looks like the Queen will be paying us a visit in 2011. Is it right that we should have to pay for a massive security operation for this visit when our country is struggling financially?

Who's "THE" Queen ?

Which Queen ?

You show no disregard for the wellbeing of ordinary people. Actually you are supporting scum by advocating such an event which brings violence to our streets.

Brilliant. So violent scumbags attack a peaceful parade and I'm advocating violence by backing the peaceful marchers?!

British monarchist camp waving your union jack.

God that's silly.

You're waving a British flag with no intention of waving an Irish flag. You show your loyalty and true colours there.

Who mentioned anything about not waving an Irish one? And if you read my post, I stated I'd do so not out of any great regard for the queen or the UK itself, but to piss the reactionary Republicans off. I'm glad to see it's working!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Just re the Love Ulster parade.

That was done deliberately to create a reaction. Willie Frazer who organised it is a man who has previously said he has a lot of respect for Billy Wright. He was also refused a gun licence on grounds of being a known associate of loyalist paramilitaries.

I'd have no problem with a march on o'connell st in recognition of victims of republican (anyone remember the anti-IRA protests by Irish people after the warrington bomb in the early 90s packing out the entirety of oconnell st ??) violence but I wouldn't show up with loyalist flags playing tunes. That would be like victims of loyalist violence marching down the Shankill with IRA banners.
    Willie Frazer was warned that going down to Dublin was a suicide mission and frowned upon by the majority of the loyalist community,he is a livewire who isn't wanted by more people than who support him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Who's "THE" Queen ?

Which Queen ?

The one that's a direct descendant of Brian Boru (according to David Norris).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

What camp am I in?

Love Ulster wanted to walk down O'Connell St.

I made the analogy because you and others are blaming Love Ulster for the violence that others perpetrated, and worse, seeking to withdraw civil liberties from them. You are blaming the victim for the actions of their assailants. And rewarding the actions of the criminal minded by giving them exactly what they wanted in the first place.

I never blamed anyone for anything. I merely took exception to your analogy. I also pointed out that to march past the G.P.O could be seen as deliberate provocation or extremely insensitive by certain people. You also never stated your position on a republican group holding a celebration on the Omagh bomb site, and should these people then be attacked, would you consider them innocent victims?

I'm just wondering where you stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Why would anyone want her to visit. If the purpose is to foster good relations between Ireland and Great Britain then the best people to invite would be the coalition government for a state visit, where we could agree to work more closely towards mutually beneficial ends. Inviting a decrepit old woman and her dumb racist husband serves little purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why would anyone want her to visit. If the purpose is to foster good relations between Ireland and Great Britain then the best people to invite would be the coalition government for a state visit, where we could agree to work more closely towards mutually beneficial ends. Inviting a decrepit old woman and her dumb racist husband serves little purpose

because then it wouldn't be a state visit.

A state visit is when our useless old biddy talks to your useless old biddy over a few glasses of Shiraz and a wold boar, whilst the people that actually the countries get on with the business bit.

I never blamed anyone for anything. I merely took exception to your analogy. I also pointed out that to march past the G.P.O could be seen as deliberate provocation or extremely insensitive by certain people. You also never stated your position on a republican group holding a celebration on the Omagh bomb site, and should these people then be attacked, would you consider them innocent victims?

I'm just wondering where you stand.

You blame Love Ulster for the fact that they were attacked. hence, blaming the victim, My analogy stands.

I wouldn't like such a Republican commemoration. But I wouldn't prohibit it either. The difference is though, that Love Ulster didn't murder anyone on O'Connell St. So your analogy falls down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Tell me, even if she was uber loved by all and not just by people like Myers, would she need as much protection? Yes she would. Sure the pope did, did he not?

Huh huh, the pope.."uber" loved by all.:pac:
    OMG! He's gay so you called him a girl! ROFLZ YOU'RE SO FUNNY! How long did it take to come up with a pun like that? :rolleyes::D:p

I think a "queen" is a term used to refer to gay older men..I think, not sure if it's offensive or not either.:P

Anyway, this queen thing, I honestly could not give a shit whether she visits or not.
    I just know there will be some morons who get out of hand at protests etc, so I'd say the sercurity is neccessary.

Brilliant. So violent scumbags attack a peaceful parade and I'm advocating violence by backing the peaceful marchers?!

Peaceful extremists, thats a new one. Its abhorrent that you do not care one iota about the safety of the general populace.
    God that's silly.

No its not, you have a bee in a bonnet about Irish Nationalists.
    Who mentioned anything about not waving an Irish one? And if you read my post, I stated I'd do so not out of any great regard for the queen or the UK itself, but to piss the reactionary Republicans off. I'm glad to see it's working!!:D

The first thing that came into your mind was waving a union jack. An Irish flag did not come into your mind at all so the conclusion is that you have Unionist aspirations.

Peaceful extremists, thats a new one. Its abhorrent that you do not care one iota about the safety of the general populace.

No it's not. They were engaged in a peaceful march. Or do you have evidence to prove they were engaging in acts of violence whilst marching?

No its not, you have a bee in a bonnet about Irish Nationalists.

Not at all. Just rabid "nationalists" who think that patriotism is about hating the Brits. Like that fool who protested about "foreign games" in Croke Park while wearing a Celtic or Liverpool jersey!!

The first thing that came into your mind was waving a union jack. An Irish flag did not come into your mind at all so the conclusion is that you have Unionist aspirations.

LOL, brilliant. You really don't get it do you?! The reason I'd wave the Union Jack is to irritate people like you. I'm sure a few scumbag heavies would teach me a lesson though, and you'd defend them, but it'd be worth it!!

You blame Love Ulster for the fact that they were attacked. hence, blaming the victim, My analogy stands.

I wouldn't like such a Republican commemoration. But I wouldn't prohibit it either. The difference is though, that Love Ulster didn't murder anyone on O'Connell St. So your analogy falls down.

I did not blame Love Ulster. I blamed the people who allowed the route. I think you are being deliberately obtuse in order to cling on to what you must know is a double standard. To compare a nationalist/republican being assaulted while walking down a street by a gang of Loyalists and one being assaulted while openly thumbing their nose at a scene of carnage and murder perpetrated in their cause's name is simply dishonest and disingenuous.

If you would not block an IRA reunion party in Omagh or Enniskillen at the graveyard of the people they murdered, then all I can say is I'm glad you're not in charge of the PSNI.

Love Ulster was a loyalist group wanting to march past the G.P.O. where several Irish people were murdered according to where you stand. The analogy stands.

• Advertisement

No it's not. They were engaged in a peaceful march. Or do you have evidence to prove they were engaging in acts of violence whilst marching?

Their presence provokes violence. You'd know that if you had knowledge of the conflict. Whether its through ignorance or deliberate obfuscation, you do not really care about the citizens of Dublin(though you are in Kilkenny)
    Not at all. Just rabid "nationalists" who think that patriotism is about hating the Brits. Like that fool who protested about "foreign games" in Croke Park while wearing a Celtic or Liverpool jersey!!

They're not nationalists. FFS, do you know the conflict at all? Suppose you'd label the Nationalist SDLP as scum through your walter mitty type interpretation of events
    LOL, brilliant. You really don't get it do you?! The reason I'd wave the Union Jack is to irritate people like you. I'm sure a few scumbag heavies would teach me a lesson though, and you'd defend them, but it'd be worth it!!

Me? Yes, you irritate the average Irish person like me as you do not embrace our nation state but instead embrace our Unionist cousins flag.

Your last comment is despicable, i know no scumbag heavies to jump on you :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Their presence provokes violence. You'd know that if you had knowledge of the conflict. Whether its through ignorance or deliberate obfuscation, you do not really care about the citizens of Dublin(though you are in Kilkenny)

That reasoning is idiotic. It's like saying we should have no peace process because it pisses of a few dissidents.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The level of immaturity on this thread is shocking.

I know this is after hours but really calling a 86 year old lady a cxnt and a parasite and suggesting she be raped by every man in Ireland and/or blown up(among other things) is going way too far imo.

Lads the occupation ended decades ago, it's time to grow up and move on. Not to mention she became Queen after it ended. Get a grip folks.

If she wants to visit then more power to her. Although if this is the kind of ridiculous response she's going to get then for her own safety she might be better off not.

I wonder whether if Obama or Merkle or Sarkozy or Berlusconi announced a State vist would any one make such childish comments?

K-9 wrote: »
    That reasoning is idiotic. It's like saying we should have no peace process because it pisses of a few dissidents.

Huh? No connection at all.

Having a carriage of the British Queen down O'Connell st is going to provoke violence, its bloody common sense it will. Those that do not see that are endangering citizens just like the last extreme loyalist march in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

She can come to Northern Ireland any time she wants. :) I think the majority of Irish people in the Republic have moved on really. Hopefully she visits and then comes to N.I to meet her loyal following.

Huh? No connection at all.

Having a carriage of the British Queen down O'Connell st is going to provoke violence, its bloody common sense it will. Those that do not see that are endangering citizens just like the last extreme loyalist march in 2006.

No, the morons who do the violence are endangering citizens.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Me? Yes, you irritate the average Irish person like me as you do not embrace our nation state but instead embrace our Unionist cousins flag.

I'm both a Belgian and Irish citizen, if I were to walk around wearing a Belgian flag instead of an Irish one would you be as angry?

Unionist cousins? Though the majority of the people in the U.K were on the unionists side at the time, some still weren't and I'm pretty sure a lot of them, from either side, don't really care much any more.

No, the morons who do the violence are endangering citizens.

Thought they were thick?

Our intelligent agencies know well they cannot withstand any violence by thousands of skangers within Dublin City nevermind die-hard dissidents who decide to riot.

I'd expect you as a Donegal resident do not realise the extent of the scum problem with Dublin city who will find any excuse like a British Queens visit down our main street to destroy the place.

storm2811 wrote: »
    I'm both a Belgian and Irish citizen, if I were to walk around wearing a Belgian flag instead of an Irish one would you be as angry?

No. Belgium never invaded and violently oppressed Ireland.
    Unionist cousins? Though the majority of the people in the U.K were on the unionists side at the time, some still weren't and I'm pretty sure a lot of them, from either side, don't really care much any more.

The ordinary Joe and Jane in Britain do not give a flying f**k about Unionists in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The ordinary Joe and Jane in Britain do not give a flying f**k about Unionists in NI.
    So what? A lot people in N.I are as British as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Does anyone not realise that Mrs Windsor is visiting Ireland as Head of State of a foreign country and not as our queen. Truly when she sets foot on our soil, independance shall have been achieved in the wider sense.

Welcome, pity it wasn't sooner

KeithAFC wrote: »
    So what? A lot people in N.I are as British as they are.

Yes maybe half do, ye don't live here down South of which the topic is about. Ye get your yearly visits from herself every year from which the security bill is sky high, we can't afford that now nor the resultant skanger riots.

I did not blame Love Ulster. I blamed the people who allowed the route.

So Love Ulster are not to be blamed, and yet you want to curtail their rights to free assembly. On the basis that some neanderthal "nationalists" attacked them? And in so doing, rewarding them for their thuggery. I know a lot of people who despise eirigi. Perhaps I should organise a posse the next time they stage a protest, attack them and generally trash the surrounding area. By your logic, they'd be forbidden from staging further public events, and I'd have got my way. Huzzah! Nothing like violence to get your own way!
    I think you are being deliberately obtuse in order to cling on to what you must know is a double standard. To compare a nationalist/republican being assaulted while walking down a street by a gang of Loyalists and one being assaulted while openly thumbing their nose at a scene of carnage and murder perpetrated in their cause's name is simply dishonest and disingenuous.

I don't understand this. When did I make any such comparison?
    If you would not block an IRA reunion party in Omagh or Enniskillen at the graveyard of the people they murdered, then all I can say is I'm glad you're not in charge of the PSNI.

I don't think civil liberties should be denied to people just because one doesn't like what stand for. Also, as I'm sure you know, Love Ulster haven't murdered or maimed anyone.
    Love Ulster was a loyalist group wanting to march past the G.P.O. where several Irish people were murdered according to where you stand. The analogy stands.

:confused:

Did Love Ulster Kill them? Eh no. You want to deny them the right to walk past the GPO because of an unfortunate incident which they had nothing to do with?! What a novel concept. We could ban all marches and protests according to that logic! "Hey teachers, you can't have a protest march down o'Connell St because someone was once killed there"! Brilliant...

Thought they were thick?

Our intelligent agencies know well they cannot withstand any violence by thousands of skangers within Dublin City nevermind die-hard dissidents who decide to riot.

I'd expect you as a Donegal resident do not realise the extent of the scum problem with Dublin city who will find any excuse like a British Queens visit down our main street to destroy the place.

Idiotic would be more like it.

You are giving justification for the attacks or violence.

What is it with you and personal assumptions, you did that on a single parent thread before too. I'm very familiar with scum in Dublin, we have a similar type in Donegal too. Why the need to personalise the debate?

Not at all, chances are, that a significant percentage of the population wouldn't even recognise the Belgian flag!

• Advertisement

They're not nationalists. FFS, do you know the conflict at all? Suppose you'd label the Nationalist SDLP as scum through your walter mitty type interpretation of events

Your last comment is despicable, i know no scumbag heavies to jump on you :mad:

This post is nonsense. And what exactly was the purpose of stating my location?

Idiotic would be more like it.

You are giving justification for the attacks or violence.

What is it with you and personal assumptions, you did that on a single parent thread before too. I'm very familiar with scum in Dublin, we have a similar type in Donegal too. Why the need to personalise the debate?

Huh personalise?

Do you have junkies milling around injecting themselves in Donegal? Didn't think so.
    Do you have thousands(no exaggeration population wise) tracksuit laden skangers roaming around Donegal who will stab anyone who is not one of them? Didn't think so.

Do you have a serious public safety problem from skangers there? Didn't think so

On saying that, Donegal is a lovely county just like Kilkenny.

Where i'm coming from is that outsiders of Dublin city who never live day day out here havent a clue of the social disorder problems here of which can manifest hugely when a parade by the British Queen is in full throttle. We're not talking die-hard republicans here but general scum merchants who use any excuse to cause mayhem.

And yes there is precedent, the riots of 2006 where scum here went on the rampage despite the Love Ulster extremist march not even been publicised in the media.(they came from the flats off Marlborough st.)
    Einhard wrote:
    This post is nonsense. And what exactly was the purpose of stating my location?

Not nonsense, see above.

Huh personalise?

Do you have junkies milling around injecting themselves in Donegal? Didn't think so.
    Do you have thousands(no exaggeration population wise) tracksuit laden skangers roaming around Donegal who will stab anyone who is not one of them? Didn't think so.

Do you have a serious public safety problem from skangers there? Didn't think so

On saying that, Donegal is a lovely county just like Kilkenny.

Where i'm coming from is that outsiders of Dublin city who never live day day out here havent a clue of the social disorder problems here of which can manifest hugely when a parade by the British Queen is in full throttle. We're not talking die-hard republicans here but general scum merchants who use any excuse to cause mayhem.

And yes there is precedent, the riots of 2006 where scum here went on the rampage despite the Love Ulster extremist march not even been publicised in the media.(they came from the flats off Marlborough st.)

Not nonsense, see above.

The Guards will be well ready this time. Part of the problem last time was the easy going attitude taken at the time.

I think you are being a bit over dramatic there gurramok!

We had GTSQ sung in Croke Park and not a bother.

The bit in bold is exactly what he means by the below. How the bloody hell do you know where any other poster has lived, or what experience they've had in life?!
    Why the need to personalise the debate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

oldyouth wrote: »
    Does anyone not realise that Mrs Windsor is visiting Ireland as Head of State of a foreign country and not as our queen. Truly when she sets foot on our soil, independance shall have been achieved in the wider sense.

Welcome, pity it wasn't sooner

Thank you. Exactly how I feel.

• Advertisement

The Guards will be well ready this time. Part of the problem last time was the easy going attitude taken at the time.

I think you are being a bit over dramatic there gurramok!

We had GTSQ sung in Croke Park and not a bother.

Nothing wrong with GTSQ been sung by a visiting English Rugby(or soccer team).

The Gardai last time could not handle the verocity of the riot by local lads bent on mayhem. To give you an insight, that type of stuff on a lesser scale goes on in a weekly basis in less than welcoming suburbs here. I very doubt that goes on in Donegal!.;) :)
    The bit in bold is exactly what he means by the below. How the bloody hell do you know where any other poster has lived, or what experience they've had in life?!

Huh? Are you saying Kilkenny is like Dublin? Oh ffs. Where do we start here, Dublin has a mini-bad Limerick inside it with a big magnitude due to a high population.

I've been to Kilkenny many a time and I socialise with Kilkenny folk and what goes on in Kilkenny is no match for what goes on in the worst parts of Dublin.

That said, I do not want skangerville here taking advantage of a high profile event hence my sincere opposition to a parade by a British Queen as it will be bloody hijacked by Anto from the flats. She should keep a visit low key with perhaps a visit to the President and a function in the depths of Foxrock.

Yes but you were implying that you'd be angry at someone for wearing or using another flag rather than the Irish one, regardless of their past.
    Not at all, chances are, that a significant percentage of the population wouldn't even recognise the Belgian flag!

:pac: Often mixed up with Germany's one alright!

Huh? Are you saying Kilkenny is like Dublin? Oh ffs. Where do we start here, Dublin has a mini-bad Limerick inside it with a big magnitude due to a high population.

I've been to Kilkenny many a time and I socialise with Kilkenny folk and what goes on in Kilkenny is no match for what goes on in the worst parts of Dublin.

*Sighs*

No. I'm saying I'ved lived in Dublin for years!!! And you shouldn't presume to know things about people that you've never met!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

There is no excuse for causing damage to our capital city, none!

Anyone arrested or identified on CCTV as causing trouble should have their welfare (i.e. - job seekers allowance) cut-off. Anyone who is out of work is supposed to be flat out looking for a job; in my opinion they should have no entitlement to be hanging around Dublin City Centre smashing the place up instead of looking for a job on that day.

The British Queen's visit doesn't really bother me; I'll be at work not caring as will most people. What will really annoy me is that if I'm paying tax to support unpatriotic scumbags* who aren't arsed looking for work and who will trash our capital city (and my taxes will also have to pay to fix the damage).

*I'm talking about scumbags who have never had a job in their whole entire life, even during the boom times. The kind of people who had the attitude of "why should I work when I can get €X for doing absolutely nothing; working all week and paying tax is for fools". Makes my blood boil.
    And before anyone jumps down my throat, I know there are loads of hard working people who are genuinely out of work at the moment. I very much doubt that these people will cause any trouble as they will (a) be busy looking for a job that day as they are every day; (b) know what it's like to pay tax and won't want to see tax money from other hard pressed people wasted on cleaning up Dublin City Centre after it gets needlessly trashed; (c) as hard working people they will be able to relate to the shite that the Emergency Services will have to put up with on the day of the visit and Dublin City Council workers in the days following.

*Sighs*

No. I'm saying I'ved lived in Dublin for years!!! And you shouldn't presume to know things about people that you've never met!!

Same as myself.

I'm used to Republican whataboutery, but this takes the piss.

So Love Ulster are not to be blamed, and yet you want to curtail their rights to free assembly. On the basis that some neanderthal "nationalists" attacked them? And in so doing, rewarding them for their thuggery. I know a lot of people who despise eirigi. Perhaps I should organise a posse the next time they stage a protest, attack them and generally trash the surrounding area. By your logic, they'd be forbidden from staging further public events, and I'd have got my way. Huzzah! Nothing like violence to get your own way!

I want to curtail the right of any group who consider Connolly, Pearse and Collins traitors from marching past the G.P.O., although as I have already stated this is more in the interests of keeping the peace rather than from any clinging to history. I find it inappropriate and as I said with republican groups who would want to assemble in Omagh or Enniskillen I would question their motives in choosing so contentious a location for a "peaceful" demonstration.
    As to your number of friends who despise eirigi, what you choose to do is your concern. I'm not on either side.

I don't understand this. When did I make any such comparison?

You compared a loyalist marching outside the G.P.O being attacked to a girl wearing a short skirt being raped. For the reasons above I don't think this analogy is correct. If an unknowing individual wearing an England shirt was attacked outside the G.P.O then your analogy would be valid.

I don't think civil liberties should be denied to people just because one doesn't like what stand for. Also, as I'm sure you know, Love Ulster haven't murdered or maimed anyone.

Neither do I, but I do think that the Nazi Party should be kept away from Synagogues, I don't think you should be allowed hold a swimsuit contest outside a mosque etc. well you get the idea. It's about keeping the peace too and having respect for others.

Did Love Ulster Kill them? Eh no. You want to deny them the right to walk past the GPO because of an unfortunate incident which they had nothing to do with?! What a novel concept. We could ban all marches and protests according to that logic! "Hey teachers, you can't have a protest march down o'Connell St because someone was once killed there"! Brilliant...

No. Love Ulster is a loyalist organisation holding a march outside the most iconic building in the fight for Irish Independence. I'm sorry that you consider the 1916 rising an "unfortunate incident" (although not surprised at the phrasing) and how you jumped to teachers not being allowed march down O'Connell St. because "someone" was once killed there is an insult to the memories of the men and women who gave their lives to establish this state imo.

As to Queen Elizabeth (or Love Ulster for that matter), she'd need to take a **** on the grave of James Connolly and then wipe her arse with The Proclamation before she could come close to dishonouring their memories in the way that their successors have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

pop the bitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

someone will have a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

They wanted to march solely to create a reaction. They got what they wanted. No problem myself with them marching but I certainly question their motives

Get real ffs. Do you think a Bobby Sands memorial march would be appropriate on the Shankill Rd in Belfast? Love Ulster intended on parading a banner of a prime suspect in the Dub/Mon bombings down o connell st. Educate yourself before you reply to this thread again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

someone will have a go

hopefully

who said that??

Being serious, why would anyone want her coming here??? her ascendency that denied irish people social and political freedom for the guts of 400 years. If anyone should come, it should be the prime minister.

She represents everything that was ever wrong with Britain, and the sooner the brits realise that the better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement