Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Calls to the UK

Options
  • 03-10-2010 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend has just moved to the UK and I am wondering what is the cheapest way to communicate. Obviously Skype on our computers is fine but whats the cheapest way to do it on our mobiles?

At the moment I have a HTC Nexus One on Vodafone, bill pay but not under contract. I think 3 allow Skype on their network so should I change to them or is there an alternative that works on Vodafone over 3g?

My girlfriend is going to sign up to a contract in the UK and likewise is wondering what is the best way to go. She is thinking of getting an iPhone 4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

On 3 you can use your flexi units to call the uk, thats your best bet if you dont want to use skype etc, you've a good phone so you could just go on one of the sim only flex deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

On 3 you can use your flexi units to call the uk, thats your best bet if you dont want to use skype etc, you've a good phone so you could just go on one of the sim only flex deals.

Can you install Skype on any phone on the 3 network or does it just come pre loaded on some of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Just thought I'd update people with some of my findings.

Skype came out for Android last week so that is good but I found an even better deal with Vodafone.

My current Vodafone priceplan is Perfect Choice Access Plus 150 with Free VF-VF Calls and Texts. My girlfriend had a bill pay Vodafone Ireland phone and has changed it to ready to go.

Vodafone told me that as long as she activates Vodafone passport, I can call her in the UK for free, unlimited.

Another good thing, when I am in the UK I can use my 2GB data allowance at no extra charge. Very handy for using Google Maps in a new city.

Never said this before but I'm surprised how good value Vodafone is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

PH4T wrote: »
    Just thought I'd update people with some of my findings.

Skype came out for Android last week so that is good but I found an even better deal with Vodafone.

My current Vodafone priceplan is Perfect Choice Access Plus 150 with Free VF-VF Calls and Texts. My girlfriend had a bill pay Vodafone Ireland phone and has changed it to ready to go.

Vodafone told me that as long as she activates Vodafone passport, I can call her in the UK for free, unlimited.

Another good thing, when I am in the UK I can use my 2GB data allowance at no extra charge. Very handy for using Google Maps in a new city.

Never said this before but I'm surprised how good value Vodafone is :D

This was exactly what I was about to suggest but Vodafone are now capping it at 500 mins a month when in the Uk for her but its a good way of staying in contact with her cheaply

Advertisement