Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuam shopping centre

Options
  • 03-10-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Rumours are circulating that the Tuam shopping centre has finally secured a new tenant and a new food store is coming in soon!

The latest tenant rumour??? Joyce’s!

There should be an announcement in the Tuam herald soon.

Great news!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Thought Joyce ruled himself out ages ago in Tesco were looking there. Whoever it is, it is badly needed as this shopping centre is suffering badly from not having an anchor tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

I heard a Tesco EXPRESS is going there but that was about 2 wks ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

I heard the same thing. It will be re-opened at the beginning of November and has secured a new supermarket. They are being very tight lipped, as we know things have gone belly up for them before. Great news for all involved down there and more jobs for Tuam. Well done to Ray and all the team. Guess we will have to keep an eye on the herald for the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

That's great news if it works out. tuam badly needs more jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Sham_Lad

Sham_Lad wrote: »
    Rumours are circulating that the Tuam shopping centre has finally secured a new tenant and a new food store is coming in soon!

The latest tenant rumour??? Joyce’s!

There should be an announcement in the Tuam herald soon.

Great news!

According to he Tuam Herald today, the first half of the rumour I heard was correct! A new anchor tennant was confirmed today but not the name or type of business.

Opening on 17 November.

The rumour I still hear is that it's Joyce's.

I'll be keeping my eyes on the Herald the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yay, I'll actually be able to buy Wraps without having to walk to the other side of town!

It's the little things in life. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Official announcement tomorrow, see

http://www.facebook.com/tuam.shoppingcentre

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Sham_Lad

rco2000 wrote: »

The rumours still say it's Joyce's.

It has been confirmed in today's Tuam Herald that it is indeed Joyces taking up lease. Tesco denied interest in moving in in the paper a few weeks ago. They will be creating 50 new jobs for Tuam and the recruitment ad is also in the paper this week. That is 20 more jobs than any of the previous shops. The provisional opening date is November 17th and they are already working on fitting out the new store as we speak.

I think Pat will make the shopping center a real success.

Good luck

• Advertisement

Opening in the first week in December. There will be an open day for recruitment in the Ard Ri House Hotel I think. No doubt there will be plenty of wine offers.
    And watch out for O'Toole's efforts to maintain his market niche. It could be good for the shopper if they go head to head. About time there was competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Tinder wrote: »
    I think Pat will make the shopping center a real success.

I don't. Now, don't get me wrong, good luck to him, I just think it's a badly designed centre in the wrong location, and I'll give him a year, tops, six months more likely.

So where would be a better location? Opposite Town & Country, is so obvious it's nonsensical that planners have refused permission for it. (And no, I have no connection with it). As well as people from Tuam, it would encourage a lot of our Mayo cousins to stop there too on their way home.

serfboard wrote: »
    I don't. Now, don't get me wrong, good luck to him, I just think it's a badly designed centre in the wrong location, and I'll give him a year, tops, six months more likely.

So where would be a better location? Opposite Town & Country, is so obvious it's nonsensical that planners have refused permission for it. (And no, I have no connection with it). As well as people from Tuam, it would encourage a lot of our Mayo cousins to stop there too on their way home.

Agree with some of what you said. Pat Donoghue's proposed development on the 15 acres opposite the Town and Country Garage was a good plan and one can only assume that outside influences were involved in the decision to refuse planning.
    The location of the shopping centre at Abbey Trinity is unfortunate but it needs an anchor tenant and Joyce is the best of a bad lot. I think it will last more, much more, than six months. Joyce is no daw when it comes to estabishing supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Dali art

Does anyone know if Joyce's other stores still open on Christmas day?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Knocknacarra wasn't open a couple of years back. Sorry i can't be more help

Yep I agree,

Pat is in for the long haul. He is not one to give up and is no fool when it comes to the retail business, his timing is golden what with all the digging in town and O'Toole about to move and dig up his own store to build the relief road and his O'Toole town development (if it happens), he will have to build the road regardless.

The location is fine, a few hundred meters up the road opposite T&C could have possibly be worse as no one would be able to walk to it.

Who's better (price, range & Quality) Joyces 365 or Super Valu?

It is a bit to early to say I think as they (Joyce's) have not even opened their doors yet. I imagine the store may not be as glamorous as the Athenry store but using that store as a comparison I would say the quality and range would be ahead of O'Toole's and price would be on par.

From speaking to those who shop in the Athenry store, they claim it to be much cheaper than O'Toole's in Tuam. It will be interesting as it is the first real competition for O'Toole.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wow, everyone is on facebook these days :eek:

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Wow, everyone is on facebook these days :eek:

Hah! In fairness, that page has been there for a while now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Who's better (price, range & Quality) Joyces 365 or Super Valu?

We shop in Joyces all the time - and my job in Tuam takes me to O'Tooles from time to time to buy bits and pieces. There really is no comparison - Joyces far better in terms of price IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭greengreen

Heard that shop was gutted and expanded and 2 new stores to follow it into centre. Good news for shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

I also heard that there was a significant amount of space that was previously used for storage that they are turning into shop floor space. They plan to stock from their Headford stores.

Perhaps there will actually be real competition to O'Tooles at last.

Pity about the unfriendly parking though.

More good news (and jobs) for Tuam/North Galway - Born Clothing are opening in Tuam Shopping Centre next week......

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000888608287

Some12 wrote: »
    I also heard that there was a significant amount of space that was previously used for storage that they are turning into shop floor space. They plan to stock from their Headford stores.

Perhaps there will actually be real competition to O'Tooles at last.

Pity about the unfriendly parking though.

Why unfriendly parking?

Why unfriendly parking?

My mam had this conversation recently with someone else. A lot of people won't go up into the multi-story car parking. Apparently it's a very tight drive up to car park!
    We've never gone up there ourselves. We try and wait for a free space to come up outside first near the Chinese or something...

You could drive a mini bus up there, I think this is more a reflection of driving standards in Tuam than anything. I much prefer driving up a ramp into a dry car park, going down in the lift and doing my shopping rather than struggling across the flooded poorly designed pot-holed O'Tooles car park in the freezing, pissing rain! I think if people actually tried driving up the hill they would be pleasantly surprised.

It is much much bigger than Roches in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Why unfriendly parking?

It's the elevator I don't like. I've had to wait for a second elevator in the past when there were a couple of carts there. Joyce's will be busier...

Advertisement