Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Work Abroad Expo - who went, and was it worth it?

Options
  • 03-10-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I'm an Aussie, but thought I'd pop into the Expo today at the RDS, to see what the story was. The line up was huge - although people at the start of the queue were saying that it would take 10 or 15 minutes - so not too bad. They were only letting people in, when others came out - so I assume that means it was at capacity...

First thing I thought when I saw the queue was "dole queue". There's 400,000 people unemployed in this country, and the country's debt is out of control - nobody trusts the government, and lines of people like that - trying to get out of the country - are a sign of the times - people are sick of the lies by the government, and the absence of action to fix it.

I spoke to one couple outside, who had just come out, and they said that it was pretty much all about visas - so I didn't bother waiting and paying. I've already got my passport, so am one of the lucky ones.

Anyway, 10 quid to get in - was it worth it? I was hoping there might be employers there, trying to entice people to Oz - was there any of that, or was it all visa advice?

Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I have always thought they where just big sales pitchs for the likes of Visa First etc.

It might be an idea to stick this in the work and Jobs forum. Let me know if you want me to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ks652

I expected a larger response to this....

I heard the queue went out the gate and around the corner!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

I arrived there at 11:15.

I left at 11:18

I was expecting the large hall of the RDS. It was the size of a small astro soccer pitch.

Most desk's just had 1 individual speaking. Two lines had easily 40+ in both so I wasn't waiting over an hour to speak to someone for 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I have always thought they where just big sales pitchs for the likes of Visa First etc.

It might be an idea to stick this in the work and Jobs forum. Let me know if you want me to move it.

It isnt visafirst that arrange this is it?
    I tought it was another company that doesnt actually deal with visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I went along with a couple of mates alright. I didn't need to as i'm already in the process of migration for the past 6 months!

Was it worth €10? absolutely not! I arrived at 4pm on Sunday (having only gotten out of bed! :o), expecting it to be closed. But the guy at the door told us that 'cos of the demand, they were staying open till half 5. He said there were a few long queues to talk to the 'experts', and he was also keen to point out that you would find nothing in there that couldn't be found on the web.

He was right too. But having gone down that road myself before, i can honestly say that sometimes it's good to be able to talk to someone and get a direct answer. Somethimes there are things on the web that are indecipherable! But everything on show there.. There were ~<=15 stands, including the beverage stand with no still water, i didn't really count them. The majority of folks at that time were queuing for Canada & New Zealand only. Not much looking for Australia, and for an escape migration expo, even those money grabbing feckers VHI were there, you know, for when you need them after you leave Ireland for good.

I understand these things cost money and all, it may have been worth €5, that's all. Very mickey-mouse! we stayed for maybe 20 mins. I feel sorry for anyone who really didn't have the €10 to spare and still went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Khan77

I went to one in London at the Hammersmith Novotel a couple of months ago run. Workingin visas were the main people running it, there were a few seminars at it about most effective visas to go for but it was pretty much just the migration agents. I also went to one in the Australian Embassy in London about a month ago now, there were reps from all the state governments there as well as some recruitment companies and some employers. You had to be an engineering/health professional to go. It was a lot better, got a couple of follow up calls from Rio Tinto and other recruitment agents. I don't know if there is a plan to run a follow up one in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

Khan77 wrote: »
    I also went to one in the Australian Embassy in London about a month ago now, there were reps from all the state governments there as well as some recruitment companies and some employers. You had to be an engineering/health professional to go. It was a lot better, got a couple of follow up calls from Rio Tinto and other recruitment agents. I don't know if there is a plan to run a follow up one in Dublin

This is the sort of thing I want to go to, and what I was hoping the Dublin one was going to be.

Advertisement