Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hector on 2FM

• 03-10-2010 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

He starts tomorrow morning at 7am. Who'll be listening

What do you think of Breakfast with Hector on RTÉ 2fm? 89 votes

Go híontach ar fad! (Excellent, altogether!)
    0% 0 votes
    Go breá (Good!)
    38% 34 votes
    Meh! (Meh!)
    25% 23 votes
    Ní maith liom é (I don't like it)
    16% 15 votes
    Úafásach! (Awful!)
    19% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Not me. i've a day off college. but i'll catch it on listen again. all the best to him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Think he could be a bit mental to wake up to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

hes too much for that hour of the mornin,count me out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I didn't realise he was starting this morning until just now . .

How did it go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I thought he was quite good, a good mix of music, and he was lively compared to the other two last week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Like listening to very bad local radio. Weeks of planning and the best idea they could come up with was getting people to send in their 'to do lists'? Seriously? The only thing on my 'to do' list is find another station to listen to in the morning.

the best idea they could come up with was getting people to send in their 'to do lists'?

What's that about? (for the benefit of those of us that didn't hear it)

Any other features?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

What's that about? (for the benefit of those of us that didn't hear it)

Any other features?

Basically he wanted people to do up a list of things they need to do this week and text/e-mail in. His list involved insuring the car, buying coal and heating oil and buying a light bulb. Someone else's was to cover the garden furniture, another was someone who needed to buy two hubcaps for the car. Then on Friday he's going to go through them to see how much people got through.

After about 20mins of listening to that I turned off so not sure if there were any other/better features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Missed it myself and was kicking myself that I did, but hearing good things about this morning's show.

Best of luck to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Heard him this morning for the first time, I enjoyed him with Tommy at the weekends.

I reserve judgement for a week or two at least. He will need time to settle in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

look hes a bit much at times but i heard him last couple of mornings and i think hes ok actually. decent few songs aswell. he will get on your nerves at times but most dj's will at some point. anything was an improvment on what went before.

ki wrote: »
    Heard him this morning for the first time, I enjoyed him with Tommy at the weekends.

I reserve judgement for a week or two at least. He will need time to settle in.

Same as that. Heard about 40 mins this morning. He needs time to settle in to the swing of things.

On another note - I had forgotton Louise Heraghty joined 2FM. She sounds a bit out of her comfort zone reading the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭baldbear

After listening to Hector a bit today and yesterday i think he's doing a good job. Decent music and his chats were good. He's not as mental sounding as when he was with Tommy! I'd say he ws told to tone it down.
    Only time will tell how it goes for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

i liked him when he was with tommy, was good to listen to at the weekend, but i'm not so sure about this new show. have been tunning in and out of it in the mornings. it's not holding my attention yet but i want it to....maybe it'll improve...

I was sceptical at first, i really enjoyed his show when i listened. him then tubridy is a good morning in my books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

jabus good reports so far
    i may switch over to him in the morning
    and try him out

dolittle wrote: »
    jabus good reports so far
    i may switch over to him in the morning
    and try him out

Listened for the first time this morning, must say thought he was good a bit of fresh air..

Fago! wrote: »
    I was sceptical at first, i really enjoyed his show when i listened. him then tubridy is a good morning in my books

Tubridy does me head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

I tuned in for the last half hour today and yesterday. I'm not a Hector fan at all...can't stand his 'mad lad' routine...but was curious about this new show. Not as annoying as usual...definitely told to tone it down a bit...and some good music.

However, the Hector and Tubridy bit near the end of the show is just awful, cringe radio. Hector can get away with the 'mad lad' stuff, but Tubridy....c'mon. Tubridy has lost the plot but I'll leave that debate to the other thread, drop him Hector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

This may not be well received around here but personally I love the "mad lad" routine - particularly when compared with competition like jim jim and whoever.

One thing this morning was his very pointed references/ objections to the play list being sent to him by Montrose down to his Galway studio. He made it very clear he'd wasnt responsible for the michael buble track played in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

Hector would do well to learn a bit about his audience. Slagging off Bublé is not clever. The guy sells out stadiums and had No.1 album week after week. Piss off a huge majority of females, Ryan Tub needs that like a kick in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

What made the Saturday Tommy & Hector show required listening was the manic interaction between the two and the eclectic nature of the music: everything from The Stone Roses to the Kilfenora Ceili Band.

Now the music is dictated by the producers in Dublin and that is where the show could come to grief.

Hector needs to have a significant say in what is played. Contrary to what the producers might think there are a lot of listeners who would appreciate something more edgy than the likes of Michael Buble on a regular basis.

When Tubridy had the breakfast slot he liked to play his faves like Sinatra and The Beatles on practically every show and it was hugely popular. If Hector wants to give us a blast of Catalan folk music, Tuvan throat chanting, sean-nós or whatever then let it happen.

Remember, the audience is a broad church and not just the desired 22-44 demographic. Given the unrelenting gloom emanating from Radio 1 at that hour of the morning a lot of us want the light relief of Hector provided he can deliver an entertaining show and not the pre-packaged processed pablum on offer elsewhere.

Dare to be different, Hector. Very different.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I really don't like Hector's new show at all. He's too 'mental' for first thing in the morning and not mad about how he accentuates his accent every so often.

I miss Paddy

Poll added :)

Fnergg wrote: »
    Hector needs to have a significant say in what is played. Contrary to what the producers might think there are a lot of listeners who would appreciate something more edgy than the likes of Michael Buble on a regular basis.

I wonder if Hector is reading boards. He mentioned Michael Bubbles this morning.

He said something like "the folks in Dublin are feeding rubbish like Michael Buble down the playlist, but I'm not playing it! I want to play some Trad, anyone want to hear some Trad?"

I was holding back on giving any sort of opinion for the moment, but I have been pleasantly surprised. I didn't think it would work, but after just one week he is not as grating as I thought he would be 1. without Tiernan and 2. early in the morning.

If you are reading Hector, give it loads and don't hold back as Fnergg mentioned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

I wonder if Hector is reading boards. He mentioned Michael Bubbles this morning.

He said something like "the folks in Dublin are feeding rubbish like Michael Buble down the playlist, but I'm not playing it! I want to play some Trad, anyone want to hear some Trad?"

I was holding back on giving any sort of opinion for the moment, but I have been pleasantly surprised. I didn't think it would work, but after just one week he is not as grating as I thought he would be 1. without Tiernan and 2. early in the morning.

If you are reading Hector, give it loads and don't hold back as Fnergg mentioned!

ya exactly he or someone must have read this thread! heard that this morning. but one thing, surely if you have your own show you should be able to pick the music?? would it be that big of a sticking point??

Shane10 wrote: »
    but one thing, surely if you have your own show you should be able to pick the music?? would it be that big of a sticking point??

In most radio stations nowadays presenters don't get to pick much (or, more often than not, ANY) of the music featured in their show. That task would fall to the PD/APD or Head of Music in the station. A presenters personality is far more important than their musical tastes.

Video of the studio he's in:

I think he will last, bit of a lift in the mornings in these gloomy times..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Im using the programme for training in the evenings! I find it a bit boring listening to music when Im running so the podcasts are perfect! All talk and very unpredictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Video of the studio he's in:

I lasted 22 seconds :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

When driving in the morning I'm a flicker, but in all the times I've flicked over to 2FM - the music is dire or the talking puts me to sleep - so I'm sorry he's just not doing it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

A week, and I find myself drifting back to Today FM for the mindless radio in the morning, and Newstalk if I want current affairs, but I preferred listening to(and looking at) Claire Byrne.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I accidently stumbled across this terrible effort at breakfast radio the other morning in the car.

AWFUL - sounded like really bad local radio on 2fm. He may sound ok on a Galwaybay fm or similar or maybe Hector's more suited to possibly a community station.

Amateurish....struggling to be composed whilst upbeat and technically competent. The content was poor too, a sign of lacklustre production.

It just does'nt work....it'll be interesting to see how long he lasts.

Terrible terrible stuff. Shame on you 2fm, the national pop and entertainment station. You are a disgrace.

I received a call the other day about radio stations I listened to and at what times - I can't wait for those figures to be released......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

haven't listened in yet but i'm looking forward to it..... he'll be better than that líck áss Ian Dempsey anyhow......

deelite wrote: »
    I received a call the other day about radio stations I listened to and at what times - I can't wait for those figures to be released......

Wow! I've never spoken to anyone being asked before! :D

(seriously)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

cerebis wrote: »
    haven't listened in yet but i'm looking forward to it..... he'll be better than that líck áss Ian Dempsey anyhow......

Haven't listened yet myself but i would say he's better than anyone ever on breakfast radio.

Badabing wrote: »
    Haven't listened yet myself but i would say he's better than anyone ever on breakfast radio.

What? Ever? On breakfast radio ANYWHERE?

Slightly tall order that, innit? ;)

Wow! I've never spoken to anyone being asked before! :D

(seriously)

I've been contacted a few times - anyway - Pat Kenny and Joe Duffy - and of course Adrian Kennedy at 10:30 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

deelite wrote: »
    When driving in the morning I'm a flicker, but in all the times I've flicked over to 2FM - the music is dire or the talking puts me to sleep - so I'm sorry he's just not doing it for me.

I would normally never listen to Hector, but there's only so much analysis of the economy I can take. I actually think the music is one of the plus points of the show, but I am around the same age as Hector and he likes to play a lot of stuff from his/my school days...like The Selecter track he played this morning and the subsequent references to 'ska heads' and wearing loafers...you'd have to have grown up in the 80's to really appreciate that.

He regularly makes reference to things that...again if you grew up in a provincial town in the 80's, like Hector...you'd really get, but I appreciate that's not his entire audience:) but it's part of the reason that it appeals to the likes of me.

I haven't become a Hector fan, but I'll keep listening for now anyway....just calm down on the 'the boys from Naaaaavan havin the craic' stuff, please Hector.

Not:

Chris Moyles
    Dermot and Dave
    Jim Jim and Mark
    KC and Lenny
    Joe and Keith - RIP
    Mark and Lard
    Terry Wogan
    Jim and Niamh - PAHAHAHAHA!!!
    any one of the millions of breakfast shows on earth......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Fago! wrote: »
    Not:

Chris Moyles
    Dermot and Dave
    Jim Jim and Mark
    KC and Lenny
    Joe and Keith - RIP
    Mark and Lard
    Terry Wogan
    Jim and Niamh - PAHAHAHAHA!!!
    any one of the millions of breakfast shows on earth......

I was messin of course jeez!! well anyone would be better than dermot and dave imo.

I was messin of course jeez!! well anyone would be better than dermot and dave imo.

Well clearly not otherwise someone else would have won best breakfast show at the PPI radio awards on Friday - just like Dermot and Dave did - hense making them better than all the rest.

No further questions your honour!!!!

Cole wrote: »
    I would normally never listen to Hector, but there's only so much analysis of the economy I can take. I actually think the music is one of the plus points of the show, but I am around the same age as Hector and he likes to play a lot of stuff from his/my school days...like The Selecter track he played this morning and the subsequent references to 'ska heads' and wearing loafers...you'd have to have grown up in the 80's to really appreciate that.

He regularly makes reference to things that...again if you grew up in a provincial town in the 80's, like Hector...you'd really get, but I appreciate that's not his entire audience:) but it's part of the reason that it appeals to the likes of me.

I haven't become a Hector fan, but I'll keep listening for now anyway....just calm down on the 'the boys from Naaaaavan havin the craic' stuff, please Hector.

I probably got unlucky when I flicked over to 2FM as I would have enjoyed those 80's songs and really any reference to the shoulder pad era. But I have to be honest and fair a lot of mornings when I've been flicking no radio show has done it for me. I mean I got bored listening to Jim Jim (FM104) on his 2nd day back - those Colin Farrell's sketches drained me. :D

MidlandsM wrote: »

Amateurish....struggling to be composed whilst upbeat and technically competent. The content was poor too, a sign of lacklustre production.

There are any number of mid atlantic accented, composed, upbeat, technically competent smashy and nicey types out there, and probably another army of them in dj school working behind the scenes hoping in time to emulate tony fenton/ rick o shea/ will leahy/ michael cahill etc - do we really need another of this type for the 2fm breakfast slot?

As another poster put it - dare to be different Hector.

For me - and this is just opinion obviously - he is the most original break from the mundane since Jonathan Philben Bowman had his breakfast show with Colm Hayes in the early 90s.

Last Saturday's Irish Times radio column gave him a very positve shout out for what its worth. "A star is born" I think is what they said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    For me - and this is just opinion obviously - he is the most original break from the mundane since Jonathan Philben Bowman had his breakfast show with Colm Hayes in the early 90s.
    It was JPB and Scott Williams, not Colm Hayes ;)

GSF wrote: »
    It was JPB and Scott Williams, not Colm Hayes ;)

Sorry, my mistake, although one which somewhat illustrates the point - it was JPB who was different/ original, just as Hector is.

Scott Williams, Colm Hayes etc - they are practically indistinguishable from each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I think he's doing a good job so far.

Finally a DJ who will not play music he thinks is no good.

He played a Wiley tune this morning that I have never heard on the radio before (never made the charts I don't think).

His interview with Usher yesterday was funny and irreverent and he certainly got more out of him than connie Huq on Xtra Factor.

My only issue is that he has too many shout outs to people who text in - same reason why I disliked Ian Dempsey.

I would normally be a Morning Ireland listener (can't stand the Dublin stations due to the inane wittering) but I've found that Hector is a nice break from the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    There are any number of mid atlantic accented, composed, upbeat, technically competent smashy and nicey types out there, and probably another army of them in dj school working behind the scenes hoping in time to emulate tony fenton/ rick o shea/ will leahy/ michael cahill etc - do we really need another of this type for the 2fm breakfast slot?..

Well said.

Listen to local radio stations up and down the country and they are populated with these DJ school clones rabbitting away in their bland mid-Atlantic tones. They sound indistinguishable from one another.

(I was once interviewed by a local radio DJ. Off air before the interview began he sounded normal but once we went live he changed his voice completely to what, no doubt, he was taught in DJ school).

Voice-wise, Hector is a refreshing change from that Smashy and Nicey orthodoxy but there is a danger that, content and music-wise, he will be forced to toe the line set by the producer in Dublin.

Resist, Hector; resist with all your might!

Regards,

Fnergg

• Advertisement
Advertisement