Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hector on 2FM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

zoobizoo wrote: »
    My only issue is that he has too many shout outs to people who text in - same reason why I disliked Ian Dempsey.

Agree with that.

Also way too much baby/kid talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

+1
    It's almost constant texts about listeners getting the kids ready or dropping them off at school or even giving advice to a guy about his childs teething problems the other morning. This morning, he started doing new baby announcements....a new regular slot I think....that's when I switched over.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Cutevelvet

I loved Paddy and Ruth on the way to work - loved Noddin
    de Noggin, they played some good wake me up, feelgood music. Also liked the 6 out of 6 and their celeb news and other news. I absolutely HATE Hector in the morning, he requires too much concentration to find out what he is actually saying and then rambling on and on and on and on about nonsense.....

Please give us someone who plays a good variety of music that brings us to life in the morning.

Can anyone recommend some other good radio station to listen between 7 and 9 in the morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I may not of given him a chance after readin the comments here, I turned off after about 10 minutes cursing how ****e it was... but maybe I'll try again on Monday. Can't be worse than East Coat Radio and South East..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    There are any number of mid atlantic accented, composed, upbeat, technically competent smashy and nicey types out there, and probably another army of them in dj school working behind the scenes hoping in time to emulate tony fenton/ rick o shea/ will leahy/ michael cahill etc - do we really need another of this type for the 2fm breakfast slot?

As another poster put it - dare to be different Hector.

For me - and this is just opinion obviously - he is the most original break from the mundane since Jonathan Philben Bowman had his breakfast show with Colm Hayes in the early 90s.

Last Saturday's Irish Times radio column gave him a very positve shout out for what its worth. "A star is born" I think is what they said.

LOL.......well, we have to laugh.;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Agree with that.

Sorry, but he is too much in the morning.. There is a time and a place for trad music, and it is not on a morning show at 8.30... very cringy yesterday, the yelps and rediculous over the top shouts.. When he has to appear on the late late show to get PR, you know the show is in trouble.. and of course, the 'tweets' were discussed... could have been good, but alas..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

Cutevelvet wrote: »
    I loved Paddy and Ruth on the way to work - loved Noddin
    de Noggin, they played some good wake me up, feelgood music. Also liked the 6 out of 6 and their celeb news and other news. I absolutely HATE Hector in the morning, he requires too much concentration to find out what he is actually saying and then rambling on and on and on and on about nonsense.....

Please give us someone who plays a good variety of music that brings us to life in the morning.

Can anyone recommend some other good radio station to listen between 7 and 9 in the morning?

They were all features from Colm and Jim. They couldn't come up with their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Only managed to catch a few hours of the show so far but a break from the normal boring drones that populate daytime Irish radio.
    The dubs will most;y hate it for all the bogger culchie stuff and probably an awful lot of wannabe dubs too, but for me this is easily the best breakfast show presenter RTÉ have taken on in well over a decade. The tewo fingers to some of the playlist is very very refreshing...a lot of stations could learn from such a move.

I hope this is a move away from personality lead presenting, to striking a good balance between decent music and likable hosts that aren't firmly lodged up their own backsides.
    Hector mightn't be to everyone's tastes (I never really liked the over enthusiasm and the repeated "I'm from Navan lads" of his on TV stuff) but I reckon it'll be more hit than miss, and I reckon Hector will make it his own in time (still a bit rough around the edges ideas wise).

As for trad in the morning or whatever people have a gripe with..? Seriously?
    Music is music...anything that gets us away from this constant chart/top 40 playlist driven groundhog day output must be welcomed...
    Breaking the strangle hold commercial pop has on commericail radio should be a priority of any radio station that considers itself serious about music output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Caledonman wrote: »
    When he has to appear on the late late show to get PR, you know the show is in trouble....

Right:rolleyes::rolleyes:. There is no other possible explanation for one of their own being interviewed on the late late is there?. It had to be that Hector's show is deemed to be in trouble after 10 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

i tried listening to him on 4 or 5 different occassions and gave him a good half hour or so each time.. but i just cant say he's my cup of tea.. its something different hes trying to do, but if you want bog radio with a local twist then you would listen to the local stations at that hour of the morning....which strangely enough i found myself doing and turning over to the local station with the former early morning today fm dj now doing the breakfast show here in the midlands...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Haven't caught him in the morning but podcast is alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

What sort of music is he playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Cutevelvet wrote: »
    . I absolutely HATE Hector in the morning, he requires too much concentration to find out what he is actually saying and then rambling on and on and on and on about nonsense.....

I thought I was the only one - I went through all the stations in the car this morning and there was no "good music" on at all. By good music - I mean something that the kids can enjoy - nothing too slow and depressing. It's coming up to Halloween surely they could play Ghost Town, Monster Mash, Thriller - something to get the kids happier in the mornings.

And I'm fed up with all the chatting and ads

What sort of music is he playing?

Trad.

He said on the LLS that "this country was build on Trad Music" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Has any one else noticed the sound of bells ringing at various times during Hector's programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

look its as good a breakfast show thats been on in a long time on 2fm which isnt hard. good bit of music, bit of banter, all in all im liking it so far i have to say.

Shane10 wrote: »
    look its as good a breakfast show thats been on in a long time on 2fm which isnt hard. good bit of music, bit of banter, all in all im liking it so far i have to say.

good to see the "that'll do, shure its grand" attitude is still alive and well in Ireland! :rolleyes:

Feck ,we're doomed.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lynchy_

Must admit, not liking this show to be honest. While I always liked Hector on tv, he's just too lively for breakfast in my opinion.

I am from Dublin though, and I really think 2fm are looking for a non-Dublin listenership here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I wouldn't be a fan of Hector, or the vast majority of 2FM programming in general. Fail to see the public service remit. That said, I listened to a few shows online. And I quite liked them. The lad has an honesty of effort that is refreshing, the music choices are slightly different than what 2FM normally fire out, and the jingly shíte that infests most early morning shows is kept in check.

Wouldn't be turning off Ivan Yates or Morning Ireland to listen to him, but that's a personal preference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kunle

I think hector's breakfast show on 2fm is really bad, it sounds like poor local radio, why does he do so many requests? Why does he talk about navan so often? Why does he mention every 5 mins that the show is broadcasting from Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

Kunle wrote: »
    it sounds like poor local radio,

The Baz & Lucy and Zig&Zag shows are even more cringeworthy in my opinion.

I personally like what Hector is doing, he plays good music and is refreshingly different compared to other breakfast shows around at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Wambago

I also like Hector,when the other options are Jimjim santadead.png and 98fm, he's a bit intense but I do like him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kunle

jvan wrote: »
    The Baz & Lucy and Zig&Zag shows are even more cringeworthy in my opinion.
    I have never listened to baz and lucy. I listened to zig and zag once but after an hour i had no interest to listen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

I switched him off weeks ago, never liked him but gave the show a listen for the first couple of weeks. There was the odd entertaining moment but he just started to wreck my head, as he's always done.

He really plays up the common man, in touch with the people kind of thing. No matter where in the country a caller is from, Hector...."ah, I know it well". Whatever the profession....Hector knows, he understands, "the hardy boys on site grafting away". Hector's one of the lads.:rolleyes:

I heard him speaking to a farmer and showing off his knowledge of farming.
    Hector: "Do you know what we'd give a scoury calf in Naaaaaaavan?"
    Farmer: No.
    Hector: "A boot up the hole"

If that's the kind of 'humour' people want, then they're welcome to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Cole wrote: »
    No matter where in the country a caller is from, Hector...."ah, I know it well".

In fairness to Hector, he seems to know the country extremely well. He often describes little obscure places very well, down to the names of places straight away. Not locally in Galway / Navan either. He seems to be familiar with a lot of the country!

I still enjoy him for the moment anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

As much as it pains me to praise Tubridy; 2FM haven't had a decent breakfast show since The Full Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

He's awful plain and simple. Its car crash radio at its best.

How much money is it costing RTE to broadcast from Galway each morning and Limerick each evening. Surely someone in accounts has to look at the running costs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Hector played a song on 2fm this morning at about 7.10am, he was speaking a bit of Spanish right after the song. Didnt catch the title of the song, sounded a bit like trance music, no lyrics as far as I know. Anybody know the one I am on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

You can listen to the show again here... http://2fm.rte.ie/previously_played/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭troops

i think he's a breath of fresh air...Ride's 'Leave them all behind' at 8 in the morning!! plus he cut off lady gaga half way through the song one morning (i take it he has to play a certain amount of chart crap)

keep her lit hector :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 stephwalsh

I cannot beleive 2fm still have Hector on air.

Having been an avid 2fm listener for the last 15 years I had to finally make the decision the other day to tune into a new breakfast show as and from last week. I just cannot listen to Hector waffle on anymore.

And I gave it a fair chance.....3 months.

It's borderline patronising the way he carries on. Just because I am from the country doesn't mean I am interested in any of the following:

- cows
    - tractors
    - what time some young fella gets out of bed (what is that about???)
    - Navan

Is that what taxpayer's money is being spent on????

And really does he need to remind us every five minutes that he's:

- in Galway
    - on TV
    - and a Spanish speaker

If this is how we are getting the country "back on its feet" then you can keep it thanks....

2fm PLEASE for the sake of my sanity do what we all know is coming and cancel the show.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭seanin4711

stephwalsh wrote: »
    I cannot beleive 2fm still have Hector on air.

Having been an avid 2fm listener for the last 15 years I had to finally make the decision the other day to tune into a new breakfast show as and from last week. I just cannot listen to Hector waffle on anymore.

And I gave it a fair chance.....3 months.

It's borderline patronising the way he carries on. Just because I am from the country doesn't mean I am interested in any of the following:

- cows
    - tractors
    - what time some young fella gets out of bed (what is that about???)
    - Navan

Is that what taxpayer's money is being spent on????

And really does he need to remind us every five minutes that he's:

- in Galway
    - on TV
    - and a Spanish speaker

If this is how we are getting the country "back on its feet" then you can keep it thanks....

2fm PLEASE for the sake of my sanity do what we all know is coming and cancel the show.....

painful that time of the morning!
    or anytime really!
    I think the only people who think he is cool or good on the radio are templemore trainee garda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

The jnlr's are due out soon so that should tell a tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

hector down to 133,000 from when colm hayes had it at over 160000. big drop and also ryan turbs down 80k according to reports in the paper today

Rte still manage to cock it up

hector down to 133,000 from when colm hayes had it at over 160000. big drop and also ryan turbs down 80k according to reports in the paper today

well, at least he tried ehhhhh. Thing is, how much longer will 2fm try and flog this muck to the nation? Badly produced,badly presented garbage........Ohhh well.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

bbability wrote: »
    How much money is it costing RTE to broadcast from Galway each morning and Limerick each evening. Surely someone in accounts has to look at the running costs...
    RTE have Lyric FM studios in Limerick and Will Leahy has always broadcast from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 AlMadden

Hector is looking good in his new

Bord Bia Quality Assurance Mark Advert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

AlMadden wrote: »
    Hector is looking good in his new

Bord Bia Quality Assurance Mark Advert

Not really relevant to the thread though... what do you think of his show on 2FM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭alanclarke1975

I started off listening to him from the start, 4 Months or so in - I can't listen anymore.

1. The Weight of the baby, parish of the baby.... blah blah blah
    2. Put your town on the map - going to run until the summer!!!
    3. Class of vehicle is this
    4. Guess where the polish fella is from... why?

Also he is busy plugging things on the Show and on Twitter (Yes I started to follow him)

Its bad enough having to listen to adverts on RTE (and pay a license fee)

Thing is - whats the alternative?

I have:

South East Radio - where they say the word "Morning" at least twice per sentence.

RTE Radio 1- Yawn - Politics, blah blah

Beat - Three high pitched muppets talking about teenage issues, you tube etc.

Today Fm - Ian Dempsey - tired out Ski Holiday crap

Newstalk - Ex Politician talking to his old cronies. Boring blah blah.

What really makes it worse is that I can sometimes pick up BBC Radio 1 - No adverts, not so much talk and good music.

meh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Once he opens his mouth he manages to switch off most of Dublin, sorry but I cannot take his glass cutting accent so early in the morning.he belongs elsewhere, work it out .) sorry but I think the controller of programs needs his ears examined.. 2fm nah your not fooling me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

telecinesk wrote: »
    Once he opens his mouth he manages to switch off most of Dublin, sorry but I cannot take his glass cutting accent so early in the morning.he belongs elsewhere, work it out .) sorry but I think the controller of programs needs his ears examined.. 2fm nah your not fooling me..

Dublin is not Ireland

listenership figures prove that point,but rte with their heads in the sand keep the carrot there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Did I say Dublin was Ireland, its more about his ear bending accent and horrific intonation,and the "actual" content or lack of it. Galway is also not Ireland, he should think before he opens his mouth on air. Anyway whatever ,hes got to be shifted to midnight or RnaG ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I started off listening to him from the start, 4 Months or so in - I can't listen anymore.

1. The Weight of the baby, parish of the baby.... blah blah blah
    2. Put your town on the map - going to run until the summer!!!
    3. Class of vehicle is this
    4. Guess where the polish fella is from... why?

Also he is busy plugging things on the Show and on Twitter (Yes I started to follow him)

Its bad enough having to listen to adverts on RTE (and pay a license fee)

Thing is - whats the alternative?

I have:

South East Radio - where they say the word "Morning" at least twice per sentence.

RTE Radio 1- Yawn - Politics, blah blah

Beat - Three high pitched muppets talking about teenage issues, you tube etc.

Today Fm - Ian Dempsey - tired out Ski Holiday crap

Newstalk - Ex Politician talking to his old cronies. Boring blah blah.

What really makes it worse is that I can sometimes pick up BBC Radio 1 - No adverts, not so much talk and good music.

meh!

Ipod..your music...no talk:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

I listened to this show once (for around five minutes). Embarrassingly awful stuff. Who the hell thought that this guy could carry a breakfast show on national radio? :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

el diablo wrote: »
    I listened to this show once (for around five minutes). Embarrassingly awful stuff. Who the hell thought that this guy could carry a breakfast show on national radio? :rolleyes:

I used to think like that too, but I continued to tune in and he is beginning to grow on me now. I kind of like the breakfast show now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Taceom wrote: »
    I used to think like that too, but I continued to tune in and he is beginning to grow on me now. I kind of like the breakfast show now.

Nah, I just can't handle him at all, especially at that time of the day.

This is funny though. :D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

lol.........he's sooo each to take the piss out of. Sad really that this is the best solution 2fm could muster for a national radio show.

• Advertisement
Advertisement