Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone think of the name of this comic book company based in Ireland?

Options
  • 03-10-2010 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I saw on a recent programme about companies battling the recession (and doing well) that an Irish comic book company did comic book productions where you can get someone "put" into the comic e.g. as a gift with their own storyline etc. For the life of me I cannot remember their name nor as a result find them via google. Does anyone know the company I mean?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Come on there must be someone out there who knows?!:P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This idea has been around for a good while, although I've usually seen it done with story/picturebooks rather than full comics. Thus there may well be more than one company doing it, but you're probably better off trying to find out the name of the programme you saw and contacting the production company that made it. It would probably help a lot if you could say exactly when you saw this programme and/or what channel it was on.

Fysh wrote: »
    This idea has been around for a good while, although I've usually seen it done with story/picturebooks rather than full comics. Thus there may well be more than one company doing it, but you're probably better off trying to find out the name of the programme you saw and contacting the production company that made it. It would probably help a lot if you could say exactly when you saw this programme and/or what channel it was on.

Thanks for the reply. I just saw it in passing unfortunately. It was a programme on RTÉ 1 about 2 weeks ago, that was looking at how certain companies are staying a float in the recession. They were just named in passing really. I thought it would make a great Christmas gift but have forgotten the name. Numerous google searches around the general theme have turned up nothing (in Ireland). Even if you know of other companies doing something like this, let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jmean

Check out the RTE Iplayer to see the prog. again and get the name, do it soon as it will expire. It might be Retail Therapy?

let me know the result.
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chronic Rick

if that fails look up the show on the rte website.
    they tend to have info of companies shown.

• Advertisement

I've tried but to no avail. Looked at all likely programmes on Rte.ie but doesn't appear to be listed in any synopsis - defo not Retail Therapy anyway. Thanks for suggestions I'll follow this thread so if anyone thinks of it feel free to post here (or any alternative as I want it for Xmas gift)! Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Was it a program? I seem to recall something similar being featured in a news report on Friday 1st (I remember as I was just in the door from Dublin when it was on) but the news broadcasts from that date aren't on RTE Player any more.

Was it a program? I seem to recall something similar being featured in a news report on Friday 1st (I remember as I was just in the door from Dublin when it was on) but the news broadcasts from that date aren't on RTE Player any more.

You know what, maybe it could have been a segment or something actually on the features part of the news ... still doesn't jog any name though!

I hate to be one of those people but Bump! No joy for me I'm afraid, hoping someone will know or can suggest an alternative ...:o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

tommy21 wrote: »
    I hate to be one of those people but Bump! No joy for me I'm afraid, hoping someone will know or can suggest an alternative ...:o

Tommy21, you've already bumped this once and it's become clear that nobody on here knows what company you're talking about. At this point I'd suggest you contact RTE and see if they can help, since the information you're looking for clearly isn't available online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

IIRC there used to be a childs cartoon called picme or something to that effect, you put the childs head on a cartoon body and it interacted with animals and people or some crap.

This is it.

Dunno if that's it, but that's all I can remember from the RTE, mind you, this is years ago since I remember seeing it.

Fysh wrote: »
    Tommy21, you've already bumped this once and it's become clear that nobody on here knows what company you're talking about. At this point I'd suggest you contact RTE and see if they can help, since the information you're looking for clearly isn't available online.

With all due respect Fysh, threads tend to slip back down the pecking order, and I presume not every boards member interested in comics is on at the same time so thought it would be an idea to bump it. Message received though.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    IIRC there used to be a childs cartoon called picme or something to that effect, you put the childs head on a cartoon body and it interacted with animals and people or some crap.

This is it.

Dunno if that's it, but that's all I can remember from the RTE, mind you, this is years ago since I remember seeing it.

Heh good brainstorming but no dice, thanks anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

tommy21 wrote: »
    I saw on a recent programme about companies battling the recession (and doing well) that an Irish comic book company did comic book productions where you can get someone "put" into the comic e.g. as a gift with their own storyline etc. For the life of me I cannot remember their name nor as a result find them via google. Does anyone know the company I mean?

I think I saw this. It's the company that run the stall in Stephens green I thought. They normally do just story books but they've started doing superhero books now too. Not sure it's all that exciting but..

and somehow I've managed to find a link:
    http://www.citikey.com/business/11005532/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Eebs wrote: »
    I think I saw this. It's the company that run the stall in Stephens green I thought. They normally do just story books but they've started doing superhero books now too. Not sure it's all that exciting but..

and somehow I've managed to find a link:
    http://www.citikey.com/business/11005532/

Is that place still going? Remeber some Late toy show or something report on them years ago, took a look at their stall/area in Stephens green and wasn't impressed by the standard of work, frankly with you could do the same yourself with the likes of gimp and good home printer.

Advertisement