Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop to LCD tv help

Options
  • 03-10-2010 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,
    I'm new to this so I would appreciate patience thanks.

I have just bought a LG 32 3000 lcd tv, I want to use it as a monitor for my laptop, dell inspiron, PP20L, which type of cable would be the best to this, I have s video, vga outputs on laptop and HDMI input on tv???? Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If the laptop has HDMI then that would be the best connection to use.

Other than that youll have to use VGA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ringo200

djimi wrote: »
    If the laptop has HDMI then that would be the best connection to use.

Other than that youll have to use VGA.

Thanks for that.:) just to clarify vga to hdmi or vga to vga??? cause I heard you need an adaptor for vga to hdmi which is expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

According to this
    http://www.which.co.uk/technology/tv-and-dvd/reviews/lcd-and-plasma-tv/lg-32lh3000/specifications

Your screen/TV has a VGA in. That is the only sensible connection to use.

If the screen has no VGA socket then you need a VGA to HDMI convertor. A Cable won't work as HDMI is high speed serial Digital data and VGA is R, G and B analogue a bit like a SCART except incompatible. S-video is only NTSC or PAL resolution (640x480 or 768 x576, typically a rescalled 800x600 at best) so useless for normal laptop usage.

You need to be able to set your laptop to the native resolution of the screen or it will look rubbish.
    i.e. 1920 x 1080
    It's also possible that there are limits on Refresh rate Hz on TV screen and the laptop Graphics card. It's not uncommon to be only able to Drive TVs that can do 1920x1080p60 rather than European TV of 1920x1080p50

The Graphics is ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 or X1400 or nVidia GeForce Go 7300
    The VGA connector resolution is separate to built in LCD unless you have "Clone" selected.

The ability of the X1300 to do 1920x1080p is poor and only at 60Hz refresh. Your TV might work with that.

Either switch desktop or extend desktop. Don't Clone.

How you setup resolution on the VGA depends on which version of Windows, which graphics driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ringo200

watty wrote: »
    According to this
    http://www.which.co.uk/technology/tv-and-dvd/reviews/lcd-and-plasma-tv/lg-32lh3000/specifications

Your screen/TV has a VGA in. That is the only sensible connection to use.

If the screen has no VGA socket then you need a VGA to HDMI convertor. A Cable won't work as HDMI is high speed serial Digital data and VGA is R, G and B analogue a bit like a SCART except incompatible. S-video is only NTSC or PAL resolution (640x480 or 768 x576, typically a rescalled 800x600 at best) so useless for normal laptop usage.

You need to be able to set your laptop to the native resolution of the screen or it will look rubbish.
    i.e. 1920 x 1080
    It's also possible that there are limits on Refresh rate Hz on TV screen and the laptop Graphics card. It's not uncommon to be only able to Drive TVs that can do 1920x1080p60 rather than European TV of 1920x1080p50

The Graphics is ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 or X1400 or nVidia GeForce Go 7300
    The VGA connector resolution is separate to built in LCD unless you have "Clone" selected.

The ability of the X1300 to do 1920x1080p is poor and only at 60Hz refresh. Your TV might work with that.

Either switch desktop or extend desktop. Don't Clone.

How you setup resolution on the VGA depends on which version of Windows, which graphics driver.

Thank you very much for that Watty, very comprehensive and you have now given me so much more to think/worry about:eek::)
    I have vista, graphic card is a mobile intel 945gm express chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

don't think sound works over vga you'll have to hook that up from the head phone socket of the laptop

• Advertisement
Advertisement