Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions please - i need out

Options
  • 03-10-2010 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

i got a permanent job only 3 weeks ago. the man who was in the job before me quit so it was a very sudden decision to ask me to take over. my problem is that i really want to go travel around india next year (my friend is going in janurary and i would like to join her)
    i would need to give notice before christmas if i was going. i dont want to come across as selfish and get a bad reference.. can anybody give me a way of making it understandable that im leaving so soon? an excuse even? thank you so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How do you like the current job?

If you dislike it, then sure, go.

If it's meh, go if you really want to.

If you like the job STAY, as getting a permanent job in this climate is rare, but getting a permanent job that you actually like is rarer than hens teeth.

Trips to India come and go. Good jobs that you like, don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭gillian1983

the_syco wrote: »
    How do you like the current job?

If you dislike it, then sure, go.

If it's meh, go if you really want to.

If you like the job STAY, as getting a permanent job in this climate is rare, but getting a permanent job that you actually like is rarer than hens teeth.

Trips to India come and go. Good jobs that you like, don't.

thanks syco.
    the job is grand. easy stuff but gets very boring. i just feel that all the girls will be travelling in january and ill be missing out.
    what do i say to the job? they hired me as a permanent and ill only be there 3 months.. i want to leave on good terms you see

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

thanks syco.
    the job is grand. easy stuff but gets very boring. i just feel that all the girls will be travelling in january and ill be missing out.
    what do i say to the job? they hired me as a permanent and ill only be there 3 months.. i want to leave on good terms you see
    Say that you were looking for a job to fill a few months, and be prepared to get sacked. Under a year, you have no rights. They may keep you on until they get another replacement, but they'll probably question why didn't you refuse the job in the first place? Are your friends currently unemployed, or will they taking a year out, and able to just walk back into a job afterwards?

Finally, are you just out of school/college? If you're just out, you could use it as an excuse, and say you'd like to get the traveling bug out of your system at a young age, or some bullsh|t like that. If they did similar themselves, they're more likely to see it as the way of life.

Advertisement