Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to exercise in Dublin city

Options
  • 04-10-2010 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

Where can you exercise in Dublin city(preferably near to the city centre). All I know is Stephens green and Phoenix park. Both of which are decent for running but neither of which have any pull-up/chin-up bars or dip bars.

So basically I'm looking for more places to run and anywhere with exercise bars.

I've lived abroad in Rome and Madrid and there are far more parks and all the parks have exercise bars.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not aware of any of the kind of kit that you're looking for in the city centre. I did chins on a tree in the Phoenix park before and got some very funny looks. :) Of course you can do press ups anywhere.

For runs, I did one out along Sandymount strand recently (our office is on Mount Street). Depends how far you're going to run. If it's < 5K well you're pretty restricted, any more than that and you can start looking at the coast (depending on where you're starting). If I'm tight on time I'll just do laps of Merrion Square (to avoid crossing roads / traffic lights). Alternatively I suppose you're looking at joining a gym.

Might be worth checking the dublin city forum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Another idea might be to buy/make a suspension trainer or gym rings. Both would be relatively light weight and could be carried on your back in a light back pack.

Then just find a suitably low hanging tree branch or maybe a deserted swing/climbing frame in a playground or a gola post etc, set up your suspension trainer and have at it :)

Suspension Training

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I know such place

I'ts kind of exercise trail with fitness stations situated along the trail.
    you got dip station,chin-up bars, monkey bars,monkey rings etc.
    The best get there would be in the morning or during the school hours(kids invasion;)

this link is not best im afraid :o

http://parks.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=83&Itemid=144

but the next time i'm there I'll snap couple of pics of equipment available
    and update this post:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I run up and down the canal during the week - loads of room and interesting stuff to look at :)

You can start at Leeson st bridge and go all the way to Dolphins Barn [or some combo there of, depending on where you are exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you look around with an eye for these things you can find alternatives. e.g. I have found several "dip stations" in my area, but they are not intended for dips, they are usually railings which meet at a right angle. Another was 2 low walls with a section to walk through.

I can do pullups on several overhanging ledges, and on a height restriction barrier to a car park (must be loads in town), on that bar you can shimmy along it which is quite taxing. I have used gymnastic rings on cross bars in the local pitch (same idea as the suspension trainer). Some bike lock up stands/railings are close enough together to do wide parallel dips.

Here are pics of one place I go along the coast, you can do pullups on the ledge in the doorway and dips on the railings.

ireland-1098128375-2004-IE-035.jpg
    ireland-1262084170-%2720091228-_DSC0286.jpg%27

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jackarpt

Hey guys, thanks very much for the replies, very helpful.

jarecki1976 is that park in Tallaght? Do you know if it closes or is always open?

I mean St Stephen's green now closes at 6.30 during the week, how is any working professional supposed to use the park at all? I asked some maintenance guys working there if there were any chin up bars etc and all they did was make jokes about it like I was messing!

When I lived abroad there were so many more city parks and all of them had fitness equipment, some even had old folk's fitness parks haha

With such a lack of facilities it's no wonder we're the 2nd fattest nation in Europe! http://www.independent.ie/health/latest-news/irish-among-fattest-in-europe-as-our-obesity-levels-soar-2352613.html

I know I could join a gym but not everyone has that kind of money and also I prefer to mix in a bit of outdoor work out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

I used to run in Trinity grounds, there is a circuit of approx 1km. You also have the choice of running on the playing fields, most of the year round. Can be quite beautiful and at right time of day not too busy. No exercise equipment though.
    jackarpt wrote: »
    Hi,

Where can you exercise in Dublin city(preferably near to the city centre). All I know is Stephens green and Phoenix park. Both of which are decent for running but neither of which have any pull-up/chin-up bars or dip bars.

So basically I'm looking for more places to run and anywhere with exercise bars.

I've lived abroad in Rome and Madrid and there are far more parks and all the parks have exercise bars.

Thanks

Parks
    Opening Hours

All of the parks are open at 10.00 am each day throughout the year.

Car parks may close half an hour earlier than the official closing time.

The closing times vary with the season and are as follows:

November, December & January

5.00pm

February & March

6.00pm

April & October

7.00pm

May & September

8.00pm

June, July & August

9.00pm

http://parks.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=160

Is it in Tallaght though? When I search it on google maps it says Tallaght and that's too far for me

it is Tallaght unfortunately:(

• Advertisement

Feck arse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

jackarpt wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

Mount Merrion, Deerpark has pull-up stations, highknee stations and all that jazz. I know it's probably totally unsuitable but, it has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Saint Anne's park in Raheny has a playground that would work perfect for you. At the entrance on All Saints Road there is a smaller park across the road with basketball hoops on a metal frame. There are often Chinese dudes shooting hoops, but there's loads of room for chin ups. It's a short run from All saints road to the playground.

(You can see the hoops and frames on google street maps on All Saints Road)

There are exercise bars dotted along the seafront in Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lordbrz

hi guys
    i'm living in Tallaght and i'm looking for some street workout parks or just a pull up bar but i can't find none. There are a lot of places here with dip stations and some other useless machines. So i will be thankful if someone helps me find such a place near Tallaght or somewhere else in south or west part of city. peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

lordbrz wrote: »
    hi guys
    i'm living in Tallaght and i'm looking for some street workout parks or just a pull up bar but i can't find none. There are a lot of places here with dip stations and some other useless machines. So i will be thankful if someone helps me find such a place near Tallaght or somewhere else in south or west part of city. peace.

Might be something of use in this thread.

Advertisement