Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is this lake?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me where this lake is please? I think it might be either Cork or Kerry but could be wrong.

If I have posted this in the wrong section can a mod move it please but I thought someone here might have photographed it or seen a photogrpgh of it before and know its real name and the location of it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭nilhg

Coumshingaun? It's in the Comeragh mountains in Waterford if it is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

If the OP thinks its in Cork or Kerry, I was thinking it might be in the Caha mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I'm wondering if you might have more luck in the hiking forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Moved from photography, hopefully the outdoorsies might recognize this place!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Its definitely not Coumshingaun but when I saw the pic first Coumshingaun did pop into my head right away.

Looks like a nice place for a hike..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Def not Coumshingaun. I'm going with Conor Pass on this one.

Not sure about the Cahas, it certainly isn't in the Pocket, Hungry Hill, Healy Pass/Knockowen area, Sugarlaof etc. Maybe it's west/north of Hungry Hill? It looks a bit like Barley Lake, or Lough Akinkeen (my first thought)...but pretty sure it's neither. Also its not in Reeks or Mangerton, or Dunkerrons, or Purple Mountains, or Slieve Mish, and can't picture it in Brandon area...so running out of options!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Are you sure this is in Ireland? Very neat fields & a proper track leading to the corrie lake suggest it could be in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

hmmm wrote: »
    Are you sure this is in Ireland? Very neat fields & a proper track leading to the corrie lake suggest it could be in the UK.
    I was going to say that too, to me it has a bit of a Lake District feel to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

It looks very like a lake on the Kenmare road coming from Glengarriff. It is on your left hand side and you can drive up so far to it. I am trying to think of the name, Barley lake maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

That's a very green field . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scotchannie

depending on the angle of where this photo was taken I thought it was of the lake near the vee in waterford http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/14751734.jpg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

That's Cummeenadillure Lough near Lough Inchiquin on the Cork-Kerry border - at the back of Glen Inchiquin and not too far from Barley Lake... Check out this link to the OSI website to see it - just follow the link and then click the ORTHO 2005 box on the menu at bottom right to switch from map to aerial photo...

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,485466,561732,5

:D

Well done, that's definitely it!

Ha, walked passed it last week, but above it on the Coomnalack side - would never have thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Setanta1974

Thanks to everybody for the replies and the moderators for moving it to the correct forum. I came across the pic on an online photo album and the person who owns it was travelling around Kerry and the Beara peninsula at the time.

I can see why nilgh thought of Coumshingaun as the cliff face looks a lot like it. I thought it was Barley Lake initially myself but have been there a few times and knew there was no road up to the middle of it like that.

I had to find out where it was and spent the last 2 nights scouring Google Earth around Cork and Kerry…even checked Glenanchaquin Park real quick but couldn’t find an angle that showed the road leading up to the lake like that so well spotted DeepSleeper and a big thank you for helping me out.

Thanks once again to everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Actually sounds like a good idea for a thread. Anyone like to post up pictures of lakes, rivers, peaks, cairns etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

loobylou wrote: »
    Actually sounds like a good idea for a thread. Anyone like to post up pictures of lakes, rivers, peaks, cairns etc?

Waaay ahead of you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Looks like a nice place, what way are the coordinates on that OSI map working compared to google map (W - etc on Google/Garmin) does anyone know?

cormie wrote: »
    Looks like a nice place, what way are the coordinates on that OSI map working compared to google map (W - etc on Google/Garmin) does anyone know?
    They're ITM coordinates. ITM, or Irish Transverse Mercator, is the new Irish grid system. You can convert them to Lat/Lon here ... http://www.osi.ie/calculators/converter_index.asp#results

• Advertisement

Thanks Alun, that's quite confusing, I had to use your link, then get the value from that (51 47 46.052, -9 39 37.863) and convert it here http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx to finally get the standard one I use (which seems to be most compatible with Google, Garmin, MapSource etc and definitely the easiest one to communicate to people I think, so it's

N51.79613 W9.66052
    or
    51.79613 -9.66052
    :)

Is it a case of your say tomato I say tomayto or is there an actual difference between them I wonder? Would it not make more sense to use a universal one, especially with the advancement of GPS, google maps and all that I'd think?

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks Alun, that's quite confusing, I had to use your link, then get the value from that (51 47 46.052, -9 39 37.863) and convert it here http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx to finally get the standard one I use (which seems to be most compatible with Google, Garmin, MapSource etc and definitely the easiest one to communicate to people I think, so it's

N51.79613 W9.66052
    or
    51.79613 -9.66052
    :)

Is it a case of your say tomato I say tomayto or is there an actual difference between them I wonder? Would it not make more sense to use a universal one, especially with the advancement of GPS, google maps and all that I'd think?
    There is no "standard" for representing Lat/Lon I'm afraid. You can explicitly state NSEW, or use the standard signing conventions (west of Greenwich -ve, east +ve, north of equator +ve, south -ve).

Also, in addition to degrees / minutes / seconds which is what the first conversion tool gave you, and decimal degrees which is what you converted it to, there is also degrees / decimal minutes just to muddy the waters a bit.

Just because Google chose decimal degrees doesn't make it any more of a standard than any of the others I'm afraid.

I was thinking that alright, ah well :) Think I'll stick with the decimal anyway, just so much easier for telling people over the phone, texting coordinates etc, especially my google generation :D

Advertisement