Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many hours a week is legal?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hey

I work shift work, 12 hour shifts. It works out at 48 hours every 7 days. I'm looking to find out If this is legal. I've been to the citizen information bureau but its not clear. If anyone knows can you let me know. There's a bunch of us doing these hours over a year now and its driving us potty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Be glad of it! Id kill for 48 hours work in 7 days. Sure that is only 4 days a week! As for the legally of it, I cant see why it would be illegal if you are paid by the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Strange complaint, but here's what you are looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Time_Directive

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

I'd kill for those working hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

me too.... 48 hours is a hell of a lot better than the 92 hours i'm doing at the moment :( (god i need a day off)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

What does your contract say?

My last job - hours were 8am-6pm. My midday on Thursday, I had done the 40 hour week that most people go through Monday to Friday. But it was just what you did in that career. My contract stated those hours. Overtime (saturdays, late evenings) was also the norm, with no extra pay for those.

To be honest Cluster, that's a pretty good deal you have there. I had 50hrs (minimum) in 5 days. You've got 48 in 7 days....it's not ideal but it's not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

With Shiftwork, dont you work for 4 days and then get 4 days off? (the extra time off making up for the extra hours worked (plus you would get paid extra for unsociable hours))
    so there fore over the space of the month you work the same as say a normal 40 work week but have been compensated for the ****ty hours worked! (at least that's how a couple of mates of mine who work shift work explained it to me)

In regards to your Question though
    No I cant believe its illegal, as thousands of people work shift work everyday!

be happy of the job dude, many people would kill for what you have!

Rather than complaining of what your doing you should be playing the corporate ladder game so you can move up and stop working the ****ty shhift hours!

Advertisement