Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just a suggestion

• 04-10-2010 4:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭

Would it be worth creating a sub forum for Learner legal questions? The majority of threads here seem to be asking more or less the same question. If you arent on a provisional licence, you just ignore them anyway, and if you like to use the"next post" link, clicking past all the learner threads can be tiresome.

No Offence, I'm all for everyone getting into biking, but there is only so many times i can read a thread about the motorcycle licence system.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Better IMO if we just had a proper stickied FAQ that deals with all these questions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Good point, myself and PC will work on a sticky. If anyone can link to previous posts which answer questions that would be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Zascar wrote: »
    Good point, myself and PC will work on a sticky. If anyone can link to previous posts which answer questions that would be helpful

We will. :eek:

KamiKazi is right. The FAQ sticky is very out dated.

We need a 'starting off bikeing' sticky, and a CBT sticky, which have the info.

Right - I will get right on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I wrote this a while back

Give us a shout if yiz need a hand with anything lads.

• Advertisement

Thanks Kami, What I think would be good is have a sticky or two for all the recurring questions. Start it off by basically piling as much useful information together which I will collect and collate into the first post, and then after that anyone else can add to it with more questions and answers etc. Any soggestions as to the format?

Oh and while we are on the subject, maybe we can get a "Say hello" thread where everyone just introduces themselves, a/s/l, what bike you ride etc. Helps to build a community. Oh and an Off Topic thread is always great too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Just need to replace the FAQ with a new sticky.
    I hate forums with loads of stickys. Can link to threads from the FAQ stickey if needed.

RosieJoe has the CBT question done already
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056045562

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Thanks lads.

Thanks Kami, What I think would be good is have a sticky or two for all the recurring questions. Start it off by basically piling as much useful information together which I will collect and collate into the first post, and then after that anyone else can add to it with more questions and answers etc. Any soggestions as to the format?

Oh and while we are on the subject, maybe we can get a "Say hello" thread where everyone just introduces themselves, a/s/l, what bike you ride etc. Helps to build a community. Oh and an Off Topic thread is always great too...

All good ideas.

Just lay out the FAQ as if you were a complete newbie looking to get a bike. So starting with eye exam, license regs etc then moving on to test info, insurance info etc. Maybe a quick paragraph on the different types of bike.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Give us a shout if yiz need a hand with anything lads.

We will, thanks.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Just need to replace the FAQ with a new sticky.
    I hate forums with loads of stickys. Can link to threads from the FAQ stickey if needed.

I agree.
    There should be as few stickys as possible.
    The rest of th threads should stay on ther first page by their own merrit, or not.

• Advertisement

Sounds good.

Any other suggestions or requests anyone?

I think if we all throw in out 2c we can get a lot of good info together.

Few topics off the top of my head:

Insurance Companies
    Tax
    Licences
    The Test
    What bike for a learner
    Lessons & Safety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Has anyone come up with a list of bikes that are learner legal without being restricted? Could be worth sticking in there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

The list of bikes is mute since all bikes practically can be restricted. Some are available as factory restrictions others need to be done after market.

Also Mods please review this thread for useful info when doing up your stickty,
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056000551

Thank the lord the light has been seen and the FAQ is getting an overhaul.

OK, so far we should end up with the following stickys:

- Charter
    - Stolen bike sticky
    - Licence and CBT sticky
    - FAQ and Resources sticky

Right - lets start with the licence and CBT one.

I will start, please copy and paste the original post, and edit or change what you think is wrong or missing.
    After a bit of arguing, we should have a usable post, wich I will then put in a sticky.

Licence and CBT should be part of the FAQ sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

yep i know i'm bringing up and old thread but was wondering why theres no off topic thread in here and did a little search to see if it was ever suggested.

I see it was suggested here but nothing happened.

I for one think they are a great way to draw people to a forum, its a big turn off to come to a forum a few times a day and its the same as you left it the last time. At least an off topic will keep moving.

Also, its good for people to get to know each other and hence feel more comfortable starting threads etc.

I think for the moment a stickied thread where we can start with a load of useful info from past posts, links etc - would be really useful. I'm really flat out busy right now but will try to get something going and if a few of us can contribute a bit it would be great :)

I think for the moment a stickied thread where we can start with a load of useful info from past posts, links etc - would be really useful. I'm really flat out busy right now but will try to get something going and if a few of us can contribute a bit it would be great :)

That sorta sounds like a yes Zascar! :D

ill defo contribute and ill kick cantdecide up the arse to do so also :)

Ok here's a start: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72532280

If a few of you can add bits and bobs and myself and P.C. will tidy it up after a while

Also put in any link or text from past threads that is useful. Cheers

• Advertisement

Ok here's a start: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72532280

If a few of you can add bits and bobs and myself and P.C. will tidy it up after a while

Also put in any link or text from past threads that is useful. Cheers

so if we do good we can haz off topic?

You can have an off topic! Go for it!

You can have an off topic! Go for it!

I've to do it myself?! awwwwwwwww

hehe! thanks!! :D

Advertisement