Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog aggresive with another dog over food - HELP

Options
  • 04-10-2010 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

My mam was minding our dog at the weekend, she also has a dog and normally they get on very well. I would bring our dog down at least once a week so they got to know each other and that was fine. We have a 5yr old Beagle, got her about 7wks ago from the dogs trust where she was for almost 6 months!!!!

My mam gave the dogs treats and my dog just wanted them all and kept robbing them. Anything my mams dog went to take one back she growled at her and even went for her once or twice. I know when she was in the dogs trust she was more than likely very possesive over her food, I am not making excuses for her or the way she carried on.

I am now really worried as I do not want a dog that will react like this about food, she is normally very sociable and good natured. Can anyone help or give advice on how to make her stop??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

dub0605 wrote: »
    My mam was minding our dog at the weekend, she also has a dog and normally they get on very well. I would bring our dog down at least once a week so they got to know each other and that was fine. We have a 5yr old Beagle, got her about 7wks ago from the dogs trust where she was for almost 6 months!!!!

My mam gave the dogs treats and my dog just wanted them all and kept robbing them. Anything my mams dog went to take one back she growled at her and even went for her once or twice. I know when she was in the dogs trust she was more than likely very possesive over her food, I am not making excuses for her or the way she carried on.

I am now really worried as I do not want a dog that will react like this about food, she is normally very sociable and good natured. Can anyone help or give advice on how to make her stop??

Unfortunately you don't know what she had to go through in her previous life to get food, so you may never get over this problem. But it is easily managed, never feed them together, if you or your mam want to give them treats, either have yours on the lead, and keep her away from the other dog, or put them in seperate rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

ISDW wrote: »
    Unfortunately you don't know what she had to go through in her previous life to get food, so you may never get over this problem. But it is easily managed, never feed them together, if you or your mam want to give them treats, either have yours on the lead, and keep her away from the other dog, or put them in seperate rooms.

Sorry but thats wrong. When I got my second dog, my first dog was food aggressive. U can teach them to get along, to say u cant is ridiculous, no matter what the dogs past is.

U need to feed them together all the time, this includes treats. Whenever the aggressive dog misbehaves, correct it. Dogs are very smart and they will learn quickly, especially if the aggressor doesnt get treats after being aggressive. Make sure they are both sitting and more importantly, calm, before giving them food. Otherwise the excitement can quickly lead to aggression.

**Vai** wrote: »
    Sorry but thats wrong. When I got my second dog, my first dog was food aggressive. U can teach them to get along, to say u cant is ridiculous, no matter what the dogs past is.

U need to feed them together all the time, this includes treats. Whenever the aggressive dog misbehaves, correct it. Dogs are very smart and they will learn quickly, especially if the aggressor doesnt get treats after being aggressive. Make sure they are both sitting and more importantly, calm, before giving them food. Otherwise the excitement can quickly lead to aggression.

I think I may need my eyes tested, can you please show where in my reply I said that you can't teach them to eat together, because I really can't see it. Unless my screen shows different text to yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dub0605

Thanks Vai for your help. How can we overcome it though if they only see each other on a once a week basis?? I only take our dog down to my mams so they can get along, if I was to go down once a week and let them eat treats together would our dog not forget that its wrong to snap?? Shes a beagel that we have so can be quite stubborn

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I have the same problem, I have two 8 year old Springers, spayed females (litter sisters) who are best buddies until feeding time. The problem is one is a quick eater and the other dilly dallies. I have bought slow feeding bowls but it doesn't seem to work. So one gobbles her food down, goes over to the other and tries to rob her food, usually there are growls, then one will put their chin on the others back and then paws up etc and sometimes all hell will break loose and teeth are bared. About. 2 minutes later, they are best buddies etc, but it is scary to watch. To eliminate this problem, I have started feeding one indoors and the other outdoors. They are fine with treats etc, it just seems to be dinner. If anyone had a solution, do let me know. They are very loveable dogs and best buds 99% of the time.

• Advertisement

I think I may need my eyes tested, can you please show where in my reply I said that you can't teach them to eat together, because I really can't see it. Unless my screen shows different text to yours?

Ok fair enough, u never said it cant be done but the post is basically implying u might as well give up and move on. Keep the dogs separate, which u did actually say, is bad advice. In fact Id say advice is a bad term for what your reply offered.

Thanks Vai for your help. How can we overcome it though if they only see each other on a once a week basis?? I only take our dog down to my mams so they can get along, if I was to go down once a week and let them eat treats together would our dog not forget that its wrong to snap?? Shes a beagel that we have so can be quite stubborn

It might take a few mins each time to get her your dog to comply but after a few repetitions, I cant see that there would be much of a problem. Might be a good idea to put some food in a bowl and give some to one dog then to the other, it shows them that they can share. It took my dogs less than a week to be completely trustworthy when food is involved. Seriously, it is worth the effort, especially since u say u take your dog to your mam's just so they can get along.

Amberjack wrote: »
    I have the same problem, I have two 8 year old Springers, spayed females (litter sisters) who are best buddies until feeding time. The problem is one is a quick eater and the other dilly dallies. I have bought slow feeding bowls but it doesn't seem to work. So one gobbles her food down, goes over to the other and tries to rob her food, usually there are growls, then one will put their chin on the others back and then paws up etc and sometimes all hell will break loose and teeth are bared. About. 2 minutes later, they are best buddies etc, but it is scary to watch. To eliminate this problem, I have started feeding one indoors and the other outdoors. They are fine with treats etc, it just seems to be dinner. If anyone had a solution, do let me know. They are very loveable dogs and best buds 99% of the time.

Make sure your dogs know the rules. The behaviour u described is very dominant and shouldnt be allowed during feeding. Just tell her no and block her from your other dogs bowl. Might take a while but eventually they get it.

Make sure your dogs know the rules. The behaviour u described is very dominant and shouldnt be allowed during feeding. Just tell her no and block her from your other dogs bowl. Might take a while but eventually they get it.

Thanks Vai, I forgot to mention that one of them is on medication for incontinance (a rare side effect of spaying) and this medication can make her slightly agressive. I have tried to block them, but she barges out. I obviously need to be a bit firmer with her.

Yeah I would say so anyway. Firm but never angry, thats become my mantra! :)

Never even heard of incontinence being a side effect of spaying, that is unfortunate.

• Advertisement

Yes, unfortunately incontinance can be a side effect of spaying:

"As it turns out, incontinence, which is defined as involuntary urination, is quite common in dogs, especially spayed females, where approximately one in five dogs (20 percent) is affected.
    Estrogen responsive incontinence or hormonally responsive incontinence, commonly called spay incontinence, is the most frequent cause of involuntary urination in dogs. It can occur anywhere from immediately after spaying to ten years later, with the average being around three years.
    Low estrogen levels and other factors can lead to a weak bladder sphincter, resulting in anything from small urine drips to complete emptying of the bladder, usually while sleeping or resting. Leaking can happen daily or just periodically. Large breed dogs are more commonly affected than small breeds, and German Shepherds, Boxers, Spaniels and Doberman Pinschers appear to be more at risk than other breeds."

Source: http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjincontinence.html

Intersting to know, although it still wouldn't deter me from spaying future dogs.
    We're probably going off topic a bit here, but her medication is very effective - she gets a littledrop of Propalin syrup in her dinner every night. It stops the incontinence, but unfortunately one of the side affects is agressiveness. This only seems to be present when her sister steals her food, shes fine with everything else, and very placid.

Ok fair enough, u never said it cant be done but the post is basically implying u might as well give up and move on. Keep the dogs separate, which u did actually say, is bad advice. In fact Id say advice is a bad term for what your reply offered.

The dogs don't live together, they will only be visiting each other so no, in my opinion it isn't that big a deal to feed them seperately.

Also in my opinion, I think that some of your advice could be dangerous. I wouldn't advocate anyone who isn't completely confident blocking a dog from getting to another dog's food, when the dog is food aggressive. I deal with dogs that have food issues every day, and to save the possibility of myself and other dogs getting badly bitten, I feed all of the dogs here seperately, it really is no big deal. Yes, in an ideal world all dogs could eat together happily, but previous experience will have an impact on a dog's behaviour and to think that you can change that around in a few days or a week I think is very misguided.

I don't understand what your issue with me is, but there is obviously something, maybe keep it off the boards and pm me?

The dogs don't live together, they will only be visiting each other so no, in my opinion it isn't that big a deal to feed them seperately.

Also in my opinion, I think that some of your advice could be dangerous. I wouldn't advocate anyone who isn't completely confident blocking a dog from getting to another dog's food, when the dog is food aggressive. I deal with dogs that have food issues every day, and to save the possibility of myself and other dogs getting badly bitten, I feed all of the dogs here seperately, it really is no big deal. Yes, in an ideal world all dogs could eat together happily, but previous experience will have an impact on a dog's behaviour and to think that you can change that around in a few days or a week I think is very misguided.

I don't understand what your issue with me is, but there is obviously something, maybe keep it off the boards and pm me?

No issue with u or your mate who keeps thanking u, no need for a pm. I dont see where u think I have an issue, all Ive done is given advice to this girl. U have your way and I have mine and I wasnt the one trying to be smart in the first reply. Lets just leave it at that shall we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I have a rescue beagle (we are her 6th home and have had her about 3 years) she is 5 also. She has had huge issues with resource guarding as she was a siezed dog and had been starved. Beagles are difficult dogs but because they are foodies they are easy to train. My girl has improved no end but is no where near being perfect with humans or other dogs.

I wouldn't not see it as a huge concern as you know she is not good with other dogs and food together so it is easily managed but because she can learn and if you would like to improve her behaviour I would contact dogs trust who have trainers on hand to give you advice or attend some classes at dog training ireland where you can get advice from qualified trainers who will assess her and advise you. Best of Luck and don't be disheartened or worried it is not an abnormal behaviour for a dog to protect resources from other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

I agree its nothing to panic over it can be worked on and in time with some training and advice should improve. I have 3 dogs varying sizes and they can eat together but I do feed them seperately to avoid any potential problems. They eat at different speeds and I want them to feel safe and secure when eating so they eat in different rooms! It eliminates the need to guard their food as there are no outside threats when they are eating!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

i had similar issues with my two-though they live together so training was easier due to repetition.

maybe you can 'borrow' your mam's dog for acouple of days?

or is your mam introducing your dog into her dogs environment too late?
    ie. bring the two dogs into the room together asopposed to one after another-many dogs may see the latter as encroachment on their territory
    and feel the need to defend it.....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dub0605

Thanks to everyone for replying :)

Thebulkf - taking my mams dog is not an option (one is enough thanks, even on short term, haha) They werent fed together for several reasons being they eat at different speeds, different times and different foods. Also, my dad went straight into the house that morning and ate whatever was left in the others dogs dish!!!

The main thing is when it comes to them eating treats, at home our dog will happily sit and eat it and you can go near her but seems it was totally different down in my mams. She even growled at them and actually grabbed my mams dog, thats what concerned me. If you give them a biscuit thats ok but anything that takes awhile to eat seems to be a no go for some reason.

I guess I will either have to train her or make sure that no treats are eaten when they are together (same goes for when she is in the company of other dogs)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Thanks to everyone for replying :)

Thebulkf - taking my mams dog is not an option (one is enough thanks, even on short term, haha) They werent fed together for several reasons being they eat at different speeds, different times and different foods. Also, my dad went straight into the house that morning and ate whatever was left in the others dogs dish!!!

The main thing is when it comes to them eating treats, at home our dog will happily sit and eat it and you can go near her but seems it was totally different down in my mams. She even growled at them and actually grabbed my mams dog, thats what concerned me. If you give them a biscuit thats ok but anything that takes awhile to eat seems to be a no go for some reason.

I guess I will either have to train her or make sure that no treats are eaten when they are together (same goes for when she is in the company of other dogs)

tell the ol' man to get his own .. :pac:

Advertisement