Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon Digital Ixus 120 IS - dropped :(

• 04-10-2010 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Got Canon Digital Ixus 120 IS 3 months ago for my birthday. A friend dropped it on friday, she was sitting so it was less then two feet off the ground and didn't seem like a bad drop.
    it took a couple of pics after that and then it gave a black screen saying lens error, restart camera.

i took battery out and recharged for awhile...no luck. the i plugged the cam into my computer. it uploaded and did playback fine but still lens error message.

It was bought from pixmania, iv looked up their returns policies and it says they don't cover "damage from external sources (shocks, accidents, electricity current fluctuations etc)" and if the "manufacturer refuses to honour the warranty due to, any of the above noted reasons" then I'll have to pay a fee to cover there services whether i want them to fix it at my cost or not.

so i need advice, Do you think its worth my while to send it back to pixmania? or would it be better to go straight to canon? or is it useless sending it back because they'll just say i dropped it and ill have to pay xyz for it to be fixed?
    The camera cost 164euro, i don't have that sort of money to replace a camera. I'm just so upset that i only have it 3 months and its gone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The warranty is with canon, so thats who you would deal with

If it was a very minor drop, no external damage I'd guess the warranty might cover it but difficult to know

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

I don't think i registered with them though, don't you have to register with them to have warranty?

and they could easily do the same as pixmania and charge me if they find it was dropped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

maameeo wrote: »
    I don't think i registered with them though, don't you have to register with them to have warranty?

and they could easily do the same as pixmania and charge me if they find it was dropped

Shouldn't matter about registering, they'll probably just need proof of purchase or something. You might still be able to log into pixmania and print off receipt

but if you ring canon support they shoud be be able to tell you what to do

well they'll need to tell you if they're going to charge you, so you can probably decide at that stage what to do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It's probably time to invest in some better quality friends. Since the recession they are much cheaper than they used to be.

Seriously though, the camera took a couple of shots after it had a bump. So it may be just a coincidence anyway. I would just send it back with proof of purchase to Canon under warranty. The chances are that fairly remote that anyone will actually open it up and inspect it. They will probably just confirm the fault and then replace it. It's hardly worth their while to spend the time of a trained technician on the cheaper lines of cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Similar incident happened me with a canon ixus is. It took out of focus pics there-after. I tried canon and pixmania. However, they know straight away it's been dropped and will charge.

I was very annoyed the camera couldn't take a little bump like this and survive.
    needless to say, great camera but designed like a bar of soap.
    I would look to waterproof/shockproof small cams in future purchases.

Sorry to hear about your cam OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

thanks so much for the advice guys, I've sent it off to Canon with the receipt so we'll see what they say.

Thanks again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Answer:I recommend that you dont send it back to pixmania. Send it to canon or one of their authorised service agents with proof of purchase. Ask if its covered by warranty. Tell them that if it is not, you need a quote before they do any work. When you get the quote, then decide what to do. A drop from 2-3 feet onto hard ground is a significant shock, btw!

Answer 2 ( I know I said only 1 answer, this is a bonus!!)
    If all goes well, consider getting a skin for your camera. Even though they look flimsy they offer very significant levels of shock protection.

And the Question? Coming soon.

- FoxT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Why SHOULD anybody follow you on twitter?

Let us know!

- FoxT

Advertisement