Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N59 small flags and other markers

Options
  • 04-10-2010 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

N59, there are small numbered flags and other, mostly red, pegs and gate markers on either side of the road between Maam Cross and Oughterard. I had heard rumblings of the entire road being redone from where works finished outside of Clifden to Oughterard. But, I've also heard it's for a cycle path...

Anyone know more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Hello a Mhac.

I just heard the same as. The same crew that repair the N59 Recess to Cliften Road have won the contract to repair the Oughterard to Maam Cross road. I was in Cliften for the first time in a while two weeks ago and there did a great job. The "new" road starts just past Dan O'Hara's and there is a cycle path running along side it. So I'm guessing that they will also build a cycle lane on the Oughterard to Maam Cross road.

Is the new road is out the window? Shame if it is, make my journey home a lot quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I was on my way to Galway yesterday and noticed some more flags through Recess as well, so it may well be a new road going the entire way :D Well past time given the state of what we have to use now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Rumour has it that the n59 is being reduced to a cycle lane, according to niall o brolochan and the save the snails brigrade cars don't go west of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Here is the thread from Infrastructure Forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055959639

http://www.galwaynews.ie/11058-millions-be-spent-rocky-road-connemara

It seems that the cycle lanes will be on either side of the road like with the new sections newar Clifden. I think a great opportunity to use parts of the old railway line for the cycle lanes has been missed.

This is good news. I travel that road minimum twice a week in full from near Clifden to the city, and large parts of it more often than that. In Summer the road is very busy, not many over taking opportunities at all with the volume of traffic.

Was that way today and came across two cyclists heading West. I would say they'll be delighted at the cycle lane.

I heard before that Eamon Ryan (of them thar aforementioned Greenies) used to run, or have involvement in a cycling tours company many moons ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Has anyone any more news on this. I've been along this road a few times recently and haven't seen any of these red flags or any sign of works. I'm heading out that way this weekend coming and will keep an eye out if someone can let me know where to look.
    I'm also trying to find out if there are any plans available that show what sections of the road will be improved.
    Surely the section of road near the Oughterard Golf Club is going to be widened, though the what I've read so far suggests that it is only the N59 west of Oughterard that will have work done.
    Also, has a bypass of Oughterard ever been suggested. Probably not needed yet, but if the economy ever picks up again and Galway grows, then Oughterard will grow and get busier, especially if the road to Galway city is improved and Moycullen is bypassed and the Galway Outer Bypass is done.

Nothing new that I saw, passed that way yesterday and will again on Thursday. Few machines along the road but I think they've some sort of auger attachment for digging holes for poles.

That bit of the road would need to be widened alright. It's not so much fun when the weather is wet.

Oughterard can be a bottle neck, depends on what's going on and the time of year though. Funerals being a big thing.

Advertisement