Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can advertised rent be Negotiated ?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

As it says...in general can one haggle on advertised rent prices or are they set in stone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

From what I've seen over the last couple of weeks there does seem to be a bit of movement but not all that much. On apartments in Cork going for between 850 - 900 a month they generally (but not always) seem to be willing to drop down by somewhere in the region of 25~50 a month but I havent seen anyone go any lower than that which is one of the reasons why I'm still looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You may attempt to negotiate before signing the contract. Thereafter you will be bound by contract and may not be entertained

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

depends on the landlord i suppose and how much interest they have in the property... I got 50 quid knocked off the monthly rent before this recession so if it was possible then its surely possible now.

Like Mr. Presentable said... this should obviously be done before the contract is signed... after that you dont have much choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Always worth asking, all they can say is no!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'll drop price for two reasons:
    > Good tenant
    > Longer lease

A couple of public servants or similar looking to rent a place from me have a shot at getting up to 5-10% off. Sign a two-year lease and have a v good job and you'll get 10% off more than likely.

Although any tenant who negotiates a discounted rent for a longer lease then breaks lease early gets some or all of the negotiated discount deducted from deposit... I think that's fair. Hasn't happened yet (to me), but worth bearing in mind if you are a tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

of course you can haggle - you'd do it with a car wouldn't you.

some places are empty a long long time, disposable income is falling, people in general cannot afford such high rents. the Govt is a significant player in the rental market as it places a floor on the monthly rental price due to high rent supplements to welfare recipients. expect this to change after the budget!

just ask over the phone before you go to view a place - "look this is the max i can pay, are you willing to accept it?".

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Depending on your landlord, you might even get some knocked off after being there for a while. I was desperate for somewhere to go when I first moved in, so didn't really negotiate, but am in a different position now, so asked the landlord for a reduction this weekend and I got it! Helps that I always pay on time, know landlord pretty well by know, etc.
    I'd definitely say press your luck- if they say no, and it's somewhere you really love, I guess you just have to pay full price, but you might get lucky, so definitely go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I agree with poster above... I will always drop rent to keep a good tenant, if the new rent is fair. If however I feel the tenant is trying to play hardball just for the sake of it... then I'll let 'em go.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

Last house I shared we got a drop from 950 -> 900.
    Current room I'm renting I got a drop from 350 -> 320.
    In both cases I/we just offered the slightly lower price and they accepted.
    It's definitely worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I have been renting a 1 bed in Rathmines (Dublin) since May 2007. It started off at 1,000e. I heard a neighbour was paying less in Decemebr 2008 and got a 50e reduction, start of recession. A few months later I took a big paycut in work and wrote to the Landlord and got another 100e off. Paying 850e in March 2009. Around March this year I saw apartments on daft in my building for 750e. I went back to the Landlord again and got a reduction to match. I've been keeping an eye on asking prices since.

If you have proof of similar rents it's difficult for the Landlord to say no. If he didn't give me the reduction I would leave and his rent would go down anyway. I pay on time every month and he has no gaurantee with future tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

From my experience there is at least €50 off every advertised price. Id start with €100 lower than the asking price and settle at €50 off.

Honestly Id probably be put off a landlord who isnt prepared to budge on the advertised price, even tho I know full well most will advertise for more than they expect to get.

Advertisement