Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tethering "expressly prohibited" on Meteor?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

I see that for BillPay Lite, and Billpay connect the "things you need to know" link says this...
    Usage of your inclusive mobile internet allowance as a modem is expressly prohibited.

For BillPay smart it does not say this.

Anyone want to comment on this? It seems a bit ridiculous. I would like to have the option to do this in an emergency without necessarily having to pay the full Smart 1Gb tarrif when I might only use 100Mb in a month.

Ix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

ixtlan wrote: »
    I see that for BillPay Lite, and Billpay connect the "things you need to know" link says this...
    Usage of your inclusive mobile internet allowance as a modem is expressly prohibited.

For BillPay smart it does not say this.

Anyone want to comment on this? It seems a bit ridiculous. I would like to have the option to do this in an emergency without necessarily having to pay the full Smart 1Gb tarrif when I might only use 100Mb in a month.

Ix.

How would they know exactly?

Sorry perhaps a dumb question but I assumed internet traffic was internet traffic.

I have tethered my iphone once or twice but not for any length of time and have heard nothing about it. Now I mean miniminal traffic - <10mb

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

I say its because maybe the tariffs mentioned above dont have any inclusive data and connect plans do?

Lets say Ive no Inclusive Data or Data Add on, I hook the phone upto the laptop and there is a nice 200mb windows update waiting for me.

@ 2c per k/b that would be pretty pricey, also they could encouraging people to use mobile broadband instead or move to tariffs with inclusive.

I dont think there doing anything wrong here, there just trying to protect the customer from running up high bills, people may not know what a KB or MB is etc

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rossy00

first I've heard about this. i have the 10gb add on and tether all the time. i asked this question when changing plan and the lad in the shop said tethering would not be a issue regarding extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    On an iphone it apparently uses a different port when tethering so the network can easily identify it but with any other phone it should be indistinguishable. They'd probably be able to figure it out by the amount of traffic passing over the connection though but they'd want to be looking really closely to spot anything that way I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Hadn't heard about this. I was on Bill pay smart lite for the last few months and used tethering regularly. In fact I even got a lot of tech support from the guys at Meteor on how to set up an unlocked Amoi S2 skypephone for tethering. Was pretty impressed at the level of support they were able to provide as the problem i was having required me to enter extra initialisation codes into the modem dialling sequence.

I recently switched to an 18 month Smart 30 contract and got a great deal on a galaxy S in store so no issues with tethering now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

As regards inclusive data, it's true that lite and connect don't actually have an "inclusive" allowance at all. You would have to buy an add-on for there to be any allowance beyond the 99c/50Mb per day. So anyone could argue that the statement makes no sense.

However, I suspect what is meant is that the smart plans allow tethering, and the lite/connect plans do not. There may be no easy way for Meteor to detect whether you are tethering, and they may not be bothered enforcing it, and indeed may help users set it up.

But... and maybe I'm being paranoid here, it does allow Meteor to introduce a new APN, which would be accessible to the Smart plan users only, with ports blocked for the lite/connect users in the future for the normal APN.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

weird. done this many times...tethering now as we speak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

I don't know about the tethering, but I had to laugh at Meteors fair use policy for Bill Pay Unlimited.
    "These fair use conditions are such that a Customer's use of this tariff shall not exceed 45,000 minutes of calls and/or 5,000 texts per month."

45,000 minutes of calls per month:
    45,000/60/24 = 31.25 days.

Ok Meteor I promise I won't activate my devices time travel feature to exceed my 45,000 minute monthly allowance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Might explain why they called it unlimited then.

Advertisement