Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's our driving? (Feedback for the forum)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but maybe there can be some sort of stickie to do with people asking about these designer breeds e.g. cockapoo, labradoodle, maltifriese and the worst "teacup" puppies.

Really annoys me, there seems to be a new thread looking for these types of "breeds" quite regularly, so maybe there could just be a section that says they are not proper breeds and a shelter or rescue centre would be their best bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Discodog wrote: »
    OK so is there some way that an offended poster could voice their view, on the thread, that a post is "high mighty or militant", if they feel unwilling to report it ?.

Whilst I agree with pretty much everything that Hellrazer has said ( yes the love-in continues !) some posters may regard a post as high & mighty whereas others might see it as common sense. It is a bit in the eyes of the beholder.

I do believe it is in the eyes of the beholder but it needs to be policed. There is a poster on here that is downright rude any time something is asked and just because he eventually gets to some good advice doesnt make what he does right.

I dont post on this forum i lurk, it is a wealth of knowledge and has really changed my view on a number of animal welfare issues but when i see these militant posts i just turn off completely.

The animal welfare posters have to meet the regular joes half way, if they dont they will lose a key vessel in which to change opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Well, what if we reported posts we found to be condescending or rude and the mods could take out the rude bits and leave the good parts + an infraction? And if a poster is consistently rude they should at least get a temp ban for breech of peace (this has happened to me before, I know it exists :p).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

All in all I think this is a pretty balance forum. Some questions are quite repetitive ie. what should I look for when getting a puppy, my puppy is crying at night what should I do, how do I toilet train my puppy etc. so I think stickies for these types of questions would be valuable.
    As for bullying, I don't think this goes on much or maybe people are taking offence where none is meant. Text is such a hard medium to articulate feeling in sometimes, so while a poster might feel they are just giving some straightforward advice, another might feel it's a personal 'attack'. I myself could pull a few threads where I've been ganged up on (for want of a better phrase:)) but it's always been on topics I really believed in and was able to back up my opinions, even when they are not always flavour of the month. I've never felt the need to report a post, I've always been able to fight my own corner.
    I belong to another forum where posters there would cut you in two with some of their replies, I mean I physically winch when I see some of the replies, never has it been the case here.
    I think if every reply here was sunshine and lollipops and posters were afraid to reply with their true opinions or had to tip toe around so as not to hurt anyones feeling not only would it become v.boring but it would also lose out on a tonne of v.good information.
    I think the 'job' of a mod is to stop things going off topic, prevent possible liable things being posted, maybe defusing an agrument that's going now where etc. not babysit posters who can't take some criticism, heck I've gotten enough of it in my year or so here and still keep coming back.
    Just my two cents worth as they say.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I am in two minds about the stickies. I think that when someone has a problem they come in and post straight way, hoping for an easy instant solution. I am not sure they would even read the stickies.
    In that post there is an opportunity to educate or to :mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes: them off the board. The more people that are educated the better? I just feel that by using these emotions and the good ole CAPS LOCK too freely these people are not coming back here in a hurry......they will be off to other animal sites where caps locks ie shouting, are banned. Or worse than that they will go away without getting an answer to their query or any information which will be worse off for who.....the animal?

I think I reported a post once, way back, now I just could not be bothered, I tune out instead.
    There is a lot of knowledge on here, getting it across in a decent way is the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hellrazer wrote: »
    And someone mentioned a FAQ--That would also be a great idea.
    If anyone wants to help in drawing up either feel free and we`ll sticky it and credit the user for it.
    How about a seperate FAQ section where posts could be pre-moderated and posters could contribute for a specified period (say a week) then the posts would be locked to prevent people asking questions in the FAQ section.

You could have threads on:

Dog food and nutrition (posters could contribute with needs of specific breeds, sizes, breeds with food intollerances and what they have found works and what doesn't)

New puppy information

House and toilet training

Behaviour Issues

I realise these are all dog related but these are the one's that frequently come up.

If someone then comes on asking a question they can be directed to the relevant FAQ then come back to their thread if they have any additional queries.

A simple measure of how useful/accurate/acceptable in terms of welfare the advice in the posts is would be basically just thank the posters you agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

lrushe wrote: »
    As for bullying, I don't think this goes on much or maybe people are taking offence where none is meant. Text is such a hard medium to articulate feeling in sometimes, so while a poster might feel they are just giving some straightforward advice, another might feel it's a personal 'attack'. I myself could pull a few threads where I've been ganged up on (for want of a better phrase:)) but it's always been on topics I really believed in and was able to back up my opinions, even when they are not always flavour of the month. I've never felt the need to report a post, I've always been able to fight my own corner.

I think if every reply here was sunshine and lollipops and posters were afraid to reply with their true opinions or had to tip toe around so as not to hurt anyones feeling not only would it become v.boring but it would also lose out on a tonne of v.good information.

As someone who has occasionally disagreed with you I totally agree with your post. If people come here looking for help or advice I think the majority get this with no problems.

I too have never reported a post because someone was rude or aggressive & I have had plenty of occasions when I would of been justified in doing so.

Those of us that give advice do so knowing that, from the tone of some posts, it will be ignored. For example I have pointed out lots of times that taking a stray dog is not illegal yet the same posters will say that it is stealing.

We need healthy constructive opinion & debate with the normal courtesies but let's not go overboard & try to make everything "sunshine & lollipops" ( love that phrase !).

People that post in a way that shows irresponsible ownership must bear in mind that there are others here who have to pick up the consequences every day. It is not unreasonable for them to get a bit exasperated one in a while.

Just a thought but would it be helpful that if the Mods see something that they think is intimidating/bullying/ganging up that they leave the post but point out which part is unacceptable. Sometimes they do this rather than deleting the offending part & this way everyone gets a better idea of what is acceptable or not.

As someone who has occasionally disagreed with you I totally agree with your post. If people come here looking for help or advice I think the majority get this with no problems.

I too have never reported a post because someone was rude or aggressive & I have had plenty of occasions when I would of been justified in doing so.

Those of us that give advice do so knowing that, from the tone of some posts, it will be ignored. For example I have pointed out lots of times that taking a stray dog is not illegal yet the same posters will say that it is stealing.

We need healthy constructive opinion & debate with the normal courtesies but let's not go overboard & try to make everything "sunshine & lollipops" ( love that phrase !).

People that post in a way that shows irresponsible ownership must bear in mind that there are others here who have to pick up the consequences every day. It is not unreasonable for them to get a bit exasperated one in a while.

Just a thought but would it be helpful that if the Mods see something that they think is intimidating/bullying/ganging up that they leave the post but point out which part is unacceptable. Sometimes they do this rather than deleting the offending part & this way everyone gets a better idea of what is acceptable or not.

No one is saying that it all needs to be sunshine or lollipops but from what i have seen in the past the "exasperations" were more than once in a while. I feel that as you are more inclined to animal welfare this is your perception that its once in a while and sure its no harm.

From reading this forum on nearly a daily basis for the past year this is definitely not the case if it was once in a while then fair enough it would be acceptable but it has gone so far now that even the mods are aware of it.

If nothing is done the forum will become a place where only the elite in animal welfare can post to get a pat on the back for work they are doing, is this where the community wants to go?

When I originally suggested and asked for an Animal Welfare Forum it was to separate welfare issues, which invariably involve those involved in welfare, from the posts that don't. This became Animal Welfare & was pre-modded. The problem was that the Mods felt that some people were posting welfare issues in the normal forum to escape the pre-modding.

I have met a lot of people involved in Animal Welfare & rescue. I can't recall any who seek a pat on the back. Plenty of other forums have regular posters who work or have knowledge of a particular area & their opinions are often valued. I have seen situations here where several "animal welfare" posters voice the same opinion to another poster. That could be perceived as ganging up or it could be that they are all expressing an individual opinion that happens to concur. In reality some of the rescues don't like each other at all !. One of the reasons for pre modding was because some rescues were slagging off other rescues. It is not a big alliance of the "elite" versus the rest.

In theory this should be a place where someone could start a thread entitled "What's the best way to get rid of a dog ?". In reality such a thread is going to push civil discussion beyond it's limits.

The opening line of the Charter is that "we all love pets" & that there is to be no discussion about "animal cruelty" - this seems odd seeing as countless threads involve discussing cruelty. But the premise is that this is a forum for people who like animals & it attracts animal lovers.

Personally I welcome posts that go against welfare opinion as it gives us all a chance to express & argue alternate views. We are all different & we are not telepathic. I suspect that most of us do not set out to offend & we may not even be aware that our posts are taken in this way unless the offended poster tells us - or a Mod.

One other thought. Anyone can PM a Mod & ask them to look at a post or thread if they would rather not formally report it - hopes that Seamus agrees !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I love the threads where people can disagree and discuss. It can be very interesting. It needs to be kept civil though and often the problem is that it descends into chaos due to one or two posters in the thread who are rude, or misquoting, repeating themselves without listening to other posts etc. And it really only takes one or two people disagreeing in a playground way to ruin a thread. ( and then others who wont ignore the childishness and have to comment)

I understand what people are saying about posts which seem to be jumping down people throats but sometimes a post is so ridiculously wrong anybody can see. One instance which pops out for me still. A poster started a thread about training their puppy and mentioned that someone suggested smacking it, but the OP wasn't sure. A thread followed for many pages full of reasons not to smack, tips, training advice, common problems, mistakes others have made, how to make training fun etc etc it was a great read and very helpful for me (I had just gotten my pup at the time)- Then a post "oh just smack it, it works for me". Of course people will get annoyed with that. Not only did the poster obviously not bother reading the thread, but they were mistreating their dog and advising others to do the same.

Which raises another issue, that of what counts as animal cruelty. Opinions differ so hugely. I'm probably not making much sense but I think it's a fine line for a lot of people and I certainly don't envy the mods dealing with that type of issue.

• Advertisement

When I originally suggested and asked for an Animal Welfare Forum it was to separate welfare issues, which invariably involve those involved in welfare, from the posts that don't. This became Animal Welfare & was pre-modded. The problem was that the Mods felt that some people were posting welfare issues in the normal forum to escape the pre-modding.

I have met a lot of people involved in Animal Welfare & rescue. I can't recall any who seek a pat on the back. Plenty of other forums have regular posters who work or have knowledge of a particular area & their opinions are often valued. I have seen situations here where several "animal welfare" posters voice the same opinion to another poster. That could be perceived as ganging up or it could be that they are all expressing an individual opinion that happens to concur. In reality some of the rescues don't like each other at all !. One of the reasons for pre modding was because some rescues were slagging off other rescues. It is not a big alliance of the "elite" versus the rest.

In theory this should be a place where someone could start a thread entitled "What's the best way to get rid of a dog ?". In reality such a thread is going to push civil discussion beyond it's limits.

The opening line of the Charter is that "we all love pets" & that there is to be no discussion about "animal cruelty" - this seems odd seeing as countless threads involve discussing cruelty. But the premise is that this is a forum for people who like animals & it attracts animal lovers.

Personally I welcome posts that go against welfare opinion as it gives us all a chance to express & argue alternate views. We are all different & we are not telepathic. I suspect that most of us do not set out to offend & we may not even be aware that our posts are taken in this way unless the offended poster tells us - or a Mod.

One other thought. Anyone can PM a Mod & ask them to look at a post or thread if they would rather not formally report it - hopes that Seamus agrees !

Don't get me wrong i agree with most of what you are saying i am just highlighting the delivery from some posters needs to go along way as the aggressive push takes away from the message they are trying to get across.

Not to give you a big head but your communication style is very good, if someone asks a question i have seen you offer an educated opinion and explain why you feel your way is correct in a rational and non condescending manner.

I feel taking that approach when offering an alternative view is the right way to go as it has a high chance of changing opinion. You already know this but when it comes to animal welfare the Irish people are clueless, this does not mean they don't want to or aren't willing to learn.

Anyways hopefully the Mods will think of someway to incorporate this into the forum without allowing it to become an overly unruly environment or a police state as such.

Its not about "giving an opinion".Its about the way that that opinion is given ie telling a user that they should have done their research BEFORE getting the cat/dog/elephant.The way I look at it is that at that stage its too late and we should really be helping minimise the damage.

Sorry, just reading back over this thread I spotted this and forgot I wanted to say something on it.
    There are often posts along the lines of "I just bought a 5 week old pup from a guy in the pub, it won't stop cry at night, help" (exaggarated a bit as an example!). While the poster might be only asking for help with the dog crying at night I think it's vital to point out (politely of course!) that you shouldn't buy a 5 week old pup for a guy in a pub. Ok in that particular instance and for that particular dog the damage has been done but a)it is unlikely that is the only dog the poster will ever acquire in their lifetime so s/he should be educated for future reference and b) other people will be reading the thread who might not know any better and if it wasn't pointed out might continue to think that the above set of circumstances are ok.
    Again just my two cents worth, or is it four, not too sure how much I'm in for now:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

lrushe wrote: »
    There are often posts along the lines of "I just bought a 5 week old pup from a guy in the pub, it won't stop cry at night, help" (exaggarated a bit as an example!). While the poster might be only asking for help with the dog crying at night I think it's vital to point out (politely of course!) that you shouldn't buy a 5 week old pup for a guy in a pub.

And my point is that the user is asking for help with his dog crying at night and the fact that he bought a week old puppy is not really relevant to his question.

Lets take this hypothetical thread that youre talking about.

The first post is from a regular user is going to be something along the lines of "You idiot-you should never take a puppy under 8 weeks of age blah blah blah "and then the condescending posts start.

Straight away this user is turned off the forum.

My point is
    Right the user has taken a 5 week old puppy which we all know is wrong but that point in time has passed and can we not just help this user out with what they are asking instead of attacking them for taking a 5 week old puppy.

In other fora these attacking posts wpuld be considered "off topic" and would be deleted from the thread.

Ok in that particular instance and for that particular dog the damage has been done but it is unlikely that is the only dog the poster will ever acquire in their lifetime so s/he should be educated for future reference
    I agree 100% but and its a big but--That doesnt happen here.If the thread went the way of "OP you shouldnt really have taken a puppy of 5 weeks but heres how to comfort it until it settles" Well thats well and good
    But no the thread would decend into chaos as is the norm.
    other people will be reading the thread who might not know any better and if it wasn't pointed out might continue to think that the above set of circumstances are ok.

My previous point would address that ie. explain that its wrong to take a 5 week old puppy but then go on to help the user out and not attack them for taking the 5 week old puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Whispered wrote: »
    Which raises another issue, that of what counts as animal cruelty. Opinions differ so hugely. I'm probably not making much sense but I think it's a fine line for a lot of people and I certainly don't envy the mods dealing with that type of issue.

I agree with this completely, i think that is one of the main problems with this forum is that opinions vary. Im not involved in animal welfare but I take my hat off to the guys who are,you have my respect BUT your opinions can be a little uncompromising.(and not all the animal welfare people either but some)

The way people raise their animals is not unlike the way people raise their kids, its very different in each house hold. And I dont think that is always respected on here. I suppose I mean this in relation more to the doggie threads. Its as if there is one way to have a happy healthy dog and anyone whose methods differ is criticized. You can some times end up leaving the forum thinking that your a cruel dog owner because you work or you dont walk your dog 5 times a day (yes slightly exaggerated:p)

All in all though I appreciate the education,cause I have learned a lot by reading threads here. I would just like to see differences being embraced a bit more often.

(Also i would have a decent enough knowledge of dogs but was completely unaware of the serious health problems that the 'teacups' breeds suffer. I was educated on that here,and while i feel its important maybe a sticky would suffice cause thats a thread that will always end up in chaos. People genuinely dont know they are not legit breeds)

And my point is that the user is asking for help with his dog crying at night and the fact that he bought a week old puppy is not really relevant to his question.

My previous point would address that ie. explain that its wrong to take a 5 week old puppy but then go on to help the user out and not attack them for taking the 5 week old puppy.

The "5 week old & bought from a pub" are highly relevant points & not off topic. These may be the key reasons why the dog is crying at night. The advise given in this case may be totally different to that given for an 8 week old pup from a reputable source.

I agree with the second point but the owner is going to have to accept that his decision may of actually caused the problem. It requires a lot of restraint to moderate one's disapproval & appear sympathetic to the owners problem - especially when all one's concern is for the pup. But I do agree that if you turn the owner off then that may be worse.

sambuka41 wrote: »

Its as if there is one way to have a happy healthy dog and anyone whose methods differ is criticized. You can some times end up leaving the forum thinking that your a cruel dog owner because you work or you dont walk your dog 5 times a day (yes slightly exaggerated:p)

I agree & unfortunately many rescues also take this attitude. I have three, wonderfully happy dogs, but I would not qualify to take a dog from most rescues.

Calhoun wrote: »

Not to give you a big head but your communication style is very good, if someone asks a question i have seen you offer an educated opinion and explain why you feel your way is correct in a rational and non condescending manner.

Thanks but here's a confession. I deliberately avoid a lot of the "puppy crying at night" type of threads because I would find it virtually impossible not to be condescending.

Lets take this hypothetical thread that youre talking about.

The first post is from a regular user is going to be something along the lines of "You idiot-you should never take a puppy under 8 weeks of age blah blah blah "and then the condescending posts start.

Straight away this user is turned off the forum.

My point is
    Right the user has taken a 5 week old puppy which we all know is wrong but that point in time has passed and can we not just help this user out with what they are asking instead of attacking them for taking a 5 week old puppy.

In other fora these attacking posts wpuld be considered "off topic" and would be deleted from the thread.

I agree 100% but and its a big but--That doesnt happen here.If the thread went the way of "OP you shouldnt really have taken a puppy of 5 weeks but heres how to comfort it until it settles" Well thats well and good
    But no the thread would decend into chaos as is the norm.

I agree more of less with what you've said, the point I was trying to make was that just because the age of the pup or where it was puchased wasn't area where the poster may have been asking advise doesn't mean it should be glossed over.
    I agree it should be done in a polite manner but then again you are back to what everyone perceives as polite I guess.

We now have an excellent example in the Christmas puppy thread. Please could we either use it as an example & comment on thread or comment here using it as a reference ?.

If people can't post their opinion without being told to "answer the damn question" and that is not a "dick measuring competition" then the forum is damned to be honest. Nobody is going to want to post their opinion for fear of being labelled a bully - which is a really horrible thing to say and should not be allowed imo - surely if the post can be seen as bullying it should be reported instead of commented on?

There are people who rarely post except to comment on others posts - it really is ridiculous and is ruining every discussion on the forum just as much as the agressive "what do you know" type posting.

• Advertisement

Personally I think that, for a while, it may be therapeutic to have some comments rather than secret reports as it gives us all more guidance.

I suspect that those that genuinely make time to try & help are just reluctant to report posts as we prefer to answer critics & accept criticism.

Maybe we should report when we feel bullied so as to even things up & to avoid the Mods only seeing one side of the equation.

I've reported 2 in the last ten mins. I also responded to them. Either agression is accepted or not. It can't be accepted from one "side" and not allowed from the other.

If people can't post their opinion without being told to "answer the damn question" and that is not a "dick measuring competition" then the forum is damned to be honest. Nobody is going to want to post their opinion for fear of being labelled a bully - which is a really horrible thing to say and should not be allowed imo - surely if the post can be seen as bullying it should be reported instead of commented on?

There are people who rarely post except to comment on others posts - it really is ridiculous and is ruining every discussion on the forum just as much as the agressive "what do you know" type posting.

All the OP literally said is that they wanted a puppy from a REPUTABLE breeder for a loving and caring home.

What happened? Everyone went mental about the fact that they mentioned Christmas at all (wonder if there would be an objection if someone wanted to get their loved one, who they have NO IDEA about the experience of, a puppy for their birthday?) and started assuming the OP knew absolutely nothing about the breed, assumed that the OP only wanted the puppy for Christmas and didn't understand that a dog is for life, etc. etc. etc.

If you cannot see that as condescending or off-topic, you are a part of the problem.

What we know about the OP in that case:
    -they're getting a pug pup around Christmas time
    -they're looking for a reputable breeder
    -they say they have a loving and caring home for it

What we don't know about the OP, but what was assumed:
    -they're getting a pub for Christmas without realizing that a pup is for life
    -they don't know about the possible health issues of a pug
    -they don't know anything about dogs at all whatsoever

How is that fair on or encouraging to the OP? Seriously? How is treating them like a child with no knowledge at all going to encourage them to continue posting? It's not being helpful, i's showing off without provocation.

It's a matter of opinion. IMO the ops question was answered.

Q: where will I find a reputable breeder at christmas
    A: At christmas you wont as reputable breeders with litters.

However I can see where your arguement is - but I find your arguing style overly agressive and unnecessary. Even if I wanted to agree with you, I wouldn't because of the horrible way you've been posting towards people.

It's a matter of opinion. IMO the ops question was answered.

Q: where will I find a reputable breeder at christmas
    A: At christmas you wont as reputable breeders with litters.

However I can see where your arguement is - but I find your arguing style overly agressive and unnecessary. Even if I wanted to agree with you, I wouldn't because of the horrible way you've been posting towards people.

What people? I've not named a single person in any of my posts. All I've done is express wholehearted disgust at the way other people were being treated.

I don't care whether you agree with my posting style or not. You're entitled to your opinion. Just as I'm entitled to my opinion on those who choose to be self-righteous and condescending towards newcomers and advice-seekers.

You find nasty words deplorable, I find groupthink condescension deplorable.

To each their own. My point still stands and is a pretty damn valid one.

Their question may have been answered but if so, it was buried beneath a pile of completely irrelevant things that were assumed. If you cannot see that, then you need to take another look.

You quote people then say things like "answer the damn question" - "self rightous twats" etc - I'm not going through it all again but it's there if you read back over it.

Just because you insult people passively doesn't mean you're not insulting them.

No more than if I was to quote you and say "oh some posters are x,y or z" and then in the next post go "oh but liah I didn't actually name you". Do you know what I mean? Like can you see how the agression is actually ruining any arguement you may have - valid or not?

You quote people then say things like "answer the damn question" - "self rightous twats" etc - I'm not going through it all again but it's there if you read back over it.

Just because you insult people passively doesn't mean you're not insulting them.

No more than if I was to quote you and say "oh some posters are x,y or z" and then in the next post go "oh but liah I didn't actually name you". Do you know what I mean? Like can you see how the agression is actually ruining any arguement you may have - valid or not?

"Damn" is a swear word still? Christ, thought we'd moved beyond that. Learn something new every day.

If it was "Answer the question" would it be any better? I don't see what's wrong with saying "answer the damn question," and in fact I'm fairly certain I wasn't even referencing anyone with it, I'm fairly sure it was just part of a sentence rather than a demand. I'd have to re-read tbh. Either way I'm not apologizing for it, it's just a word. It's window-dressing to the actual sentiment. And I don't like bull****, so I'm removing the flowery proper language and getting right to the crux of it.

Would it have been better if I'd said "I find the self-righteous attitude to be deplorable?" Again, it's just language. The sentiment is the same, one looks prettier and one doesn't. I like the one that doesn't look as pretty. Who cares? It's just a combination of letters. You still get the idea.

People can read whatever they like into my posts. I'm not going to sugar-coat it and I'm certainly going to continue on using colloquial language. This is a forum, not an educational institution, and I'm free to voice my opinion in whatever manner I choose so long as I "attack the POST and not the POSTER."

I have not once in this context attacked any posters, merely their posts that I find to be the epitome of self-righteous, condescending twattishness.

You're being oversensitive and the simple fact that you have to attack my posting style rather than the actual sentiment of my argument simply shows that you have no argument of your own.

liah wrote: »
    I find groupthink condescension deplorable.

So if two posters agree that constitutes "groupthink" ?.

I keep going back & reading the thread. There is very little condescension & only one poster mentioned the puppy at Christmas argument.

If I were to start a thread entitled " What is the best way to hit my dog ?"

I am a caring dog owner & I love my dog but sometimes it needs beating. What is the best way to do this ?

According to your rules people would have to answer

"I find that a stick is best" or "try a belt". You could not say that it is wrong to beat your dog.

So if two posters agree that constitutes "groupthink" ?.

I keep going back & reading the thread. There is very little condescension & only one poster mentioned the puppy at Christmas argument.

If I were to start a thread entitled " What is the best way to hit my dog ?"

I am a caring dog owner & I love my dog but sometimes it needs beating. What is the best way to do this ?

According to your rules people would have to answer

"I find that a stick is best" or "try a belt". You could not say that it is wrong to beat your dog.

Are you serious?

I'm not saying that at all. Any idiot can tell the massive difference between "Do you know where I can find a reputable Pug breeder around Christmas?" and "How should I beat my dog?"

In "Do you know where I can find a reputable Pug breeder around Christmas?" there is nothing at all to indicate the pup will be mistreated or uncared for. Not a single iota of evidence.

In "How should I beat my dog?" there's a very bloody obvious reason to correct the poster as beating a dog is inhumane.

The thing is, people are treating the OP of "Do you know where I can find a reputable Pug breeder around Christmas" as if it were the same person as "How should I beat my dog?"

This is getting well ridiculous now.

The basic rule should be this: Innocent until PROVEN guilty. Aka, STOP assuming that the OP is horrible to their dogs or knows literally nothing unless you have evidence.

• Advertisement

Thats the thing Liah - in certain threads (not that particular one btw but in some) I can see your point - I just think your way of making a point is doing exactly what you are complaining about.

Really your negating your own argument.

You agree with the info given - that the op is unlikely to find a reputable breeder at christmas right? What you are complaining about is HOW people said it - am I still right? Well by your last line
    the simple fact that you have to attack my posting style rather than the actual sentiment of my argument simply shows that you have no argument of your own.
    you're basicially saying the same thing about your own point?

You're not disagreeing with the info - your disagreeing with how it was said. I'm doing the same.

I feel that lately in the forum people cannot give an opinion on anything without one or two people derailing the thread to complain about the opinions given. It's getting to the point that less people will want to post to try help an OP for fear of being labelled a bully. I don't know how the mods can deal with it but something needs to be done.

Maybe have it so that you cannot comment on a posting style but must report the post if you feel it's bullying? Otherwise every thread will become a write off - just like the puppy for christmas one. Which would be a real shame.

I'm not arguing with you liah - I agree with you that something needs to be done about agressive posting - but in trying to do something about it you have become part of the problem. Like trying to fight fire with fire.

Im not going to comment on this again as I feel its going nowhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement