Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's our driving? (Feedback for the forum)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Discodog wrote: »
    Totally agree. How about the mods publish a number of threads reported figure say every week or month ?.

You asked for it so here goes.

In the last 30 days posting in the forum there have been approximately 65 reported posts.
    This includes all reported posts from the forum and includes posts that have been reported more than once--one post in particular has been reported 7 times.
    The next highest is 4 times and there are a couple of 2s and 3s in there aswell.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Whispered wrote: »
    Have people changed how they post then or is it that some people who usually post harshly are not posting?

Im still on the fence on that one.

EDIT: Hellrazer - the one post which you think could have been worded differently. Are you going to take action on it, or is there to be an acceptance that occasionally someone might post in a way not everyone agrees with - but thats just the nature of boards? (which is what I think btw, I'm not asking you to take action or anything, I personally don't see it as necessary, but I wanted to know your stance on posts like that now)
    No I dont think I need to take action.The post was lets say "lost in the nice ness of the thread"

Would also like to point out how quickly the thread might have been ruined had someone jumped in to chastise that one post so I'm delighted it was allowed to run its course.

Exactly why I didnt take action.If soeone had jumped in to chastise the post I beleive that the thread woule have become unravelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Hellrazer wrote: »
    In the last 30 days posting in the forum there have been approximately 65 reported posts.
    This includes all reported posts from the forum and includes posts that have been reported more than once--one post in particular has been reported 7 times.
    The next highest is 4 times and there are a couple of 2s and 3s in there aswell.

So as a rough guide what percentage of the reports did you agree with or take action on ?.

I am not trying to be a pain but it helps all of us if we know the extent of the problem. Do certain users have a propensity to report ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

You're right in saying that I feel there is a problem with perception too though. While the forum has problems, I think lately the problems are being blown to epic proportions.

TL;DR People being nicer and more polite = nicer forum
    People getting upset over every post = oversensitive.

:)

I agree the problem of late have been somewhat blown out of proportion but only because of a growing cultural change and acceptance of a "mammy knows best" style of posting from the few regulars that has slowly but surely being turning people away. Has it been one or two issues of late no it has happened over time.

I feel it would be a mistake to burry the head in the sand and class this as users of the forum being oversensitive, look at the amount of posters that have come out of the woodwork to comment on this subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Calhoun wrote: »
    I agree the problem of late have been somewhat blown out of proportion but only because of a growing cultural change and acceptance of a "mammy knows best" style of posting from the few regulars that has slowly but surely being turning people away. Has it been one or two issues of late no it has happened over time.

I feel it would be a mistake to burry the head in the sand and class this as users of the forum being oversensitive, look at the amount of posters that have come out of the woodwork to comment on this subject.

Who's burying their head? Everything I said before that was along the lines that something needs to be done about certain things in the forum.

I feel that there has also been a tendancy of late for some posters to react to every little post and I think that if that is allowed to continue on thread it will just as easily ruin the forum as the holier than thou posting. Do you know what I mean? Changes could be made to prevent both.
    (as wittnessed in the labrador breeding thread hellrazer mentioned earlier. One badly worded post - nobody jumped on it and the thread continued nicely. Both sides of the "divide" behaved themselves nicely and the forum has a thread to be proud of)

@Hellrazer - the post reported 7 times. Have you taken action on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hellrazer, is it possible you can PM me with any of those that are mine please, or is that not possible?

So as a rough guide what percentage of the reports did you agree with or take action on ?.

Id have to go through every single page and every single thread to get you an answer to that one.If I get the time I`ll do it but dont hold me to it.
    I am not trying to be a pain but it helps all of us if we know the extent of the problem.

Its not about the number of reported posts.Thats not a guage of the state of the forum because a lot of the stuff we`re on about is not reported as I said earlier in this thread and we find it by reading through threads.
    If the report button was used more then I `d say the problem would sort itself out.
    Do certain users have a propensity to report ?.

Id have to say no.There are some users who will report more than others but its seems fairly balanced and no one user sticks out as "forum police" if thats what you mean.

Hellrazer, is it possible you can PM me with any of those that are mine please, or is that not possible?

+1

I would like to be aware if I come across as snappish.

No need to--Youve only ever reported one post in the forum.And that was definately warranted.And I definately acted on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Have I got a response to my posts yet from Hellrazer? Posted a bunch of them ages ago and haven't seen anything.. wonder if I'm on ignore.

• Advertisement

Liah - have you had any more messages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Liah - have you had any more messages?

No, they seem to have stopped, interestingly enough..

I still think I'm going to give this forum a break, though. I really don't like it when things like that cross sites. Freaks me out.

If you enjoy the forum otherwise I wouldn't let them push you out tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I feel that there has also been a tendancy of late for some posters to react to every little post and I think that if that is allowed to continue on thread it will just as easily ruin the forum as the holier than thou posting. Do you know what I mean? Changes could be made to prevent both.

This is true - there has been issues on both sides.

But it's interesting to note that it is really only a handful of posters, who already use the forum, who are saying that peoople are over-reacting.

On the other hand, quite a few people have posted to say they agree that the holier than thou posting is a problem. Many of these are people who lurk and avoid posting. So obviously this has been a significant problem.

Who's burying their head? Everything I said before that was along the lines that something needs to be done about certain things in the forum.

(as wittnessed in the labrador breeding thread hellrazer mentioned earlier. One badly worded post - nobody jumped on it and the thread continued nicely. Both sides of the "divide" behaved themselves nicely and the forum has a thread to be proud of)

@Hellrazer - the post reported 7 times. Have you taken action on it?

Ok i suppose i took you up wrong i was under the impression you were advocating leaving things as they are, I agree though there has to be a balance between policing both sides.

This is true - there has been issues on both sides.

But it's interesting to note that it is really only a handful of posters, who already use the forum, who are saying that peoople are over-reacting.

On the other hand, quite a few people have posted to say they agree that the holier than thou posting is a problem. Many of these are people who lurk and avoid posting. So obviously this has been a significant problem.

Exactly the point i was trying to get across in a round about way.

Well in fairness it's only me who's saying people have been over reacting - and thats just my opinion - I may be the only poster who thinks that there needs to be some temperance on both sides. I really believe thats the case though.

On the other hand I have said from the beginning of this thread when suggestions were asked for that people need to be nicer. And I post regularly enough. There are a fair few or the regular posters who have posted in this thread saying that people need to be more polite etc so it's not just lurkers.

I feel like people have an impression of the regular posters here as all being nasty based on the actions of a few. It's not the case, most of the posters are really nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

No need to--Youve only ever reported one post in the forum.And that was definately warranted.And I definately acted on that one.

No, I meant the other way round ;), how many posts have I written and have been reported by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

No, I meant the other way round ;), how many posts have I written and have been reported by others.

The nation holds its breath....................................................:D:D

If our posts were reported and it was deemed a problem by the mods then surely we should be told and given a chance to address it?

Someone said it is only a handful of posters complaining, this may because any new poster who gets hammered (not all of course but some have) on here does not come back? I did notice that on a couple of other animal forums, they used to be really busy but are now predominantly rescue folks posting on there.

Who said only a handfull of people are complaining? I missed it.

Thanks

• Advertisement

ppink wrote: »
    The nation holds its breath....................................................:D:D

If our posts were reported and it was deemed a problem by the mods then surely we should be told and given a chance to address it?

Someone said it is only a handful of posters complaining, this may because any new poster who gets hammered (not all of course but some have) on here does not come back? I did notice that on a couple of other animal forums, they used to be really busy but are now predominantly rescue folks posting on there.

I said only a handful seem to think the people complaining were overreacting.

I would agree with you though that there probably would be more people complaining about the aggressive posting, only that they never came back here after being talked down to.

But I would say that it is an even wider issue than simply people who have posted and been lectured to - I think there are probably hundreds of people who have read the lecturing posts and just decided not to even bother getting involved in the first place.

I feel like people have an impression of the regular posters here as all being nasty based on the actions of a few. It's not the case, most of the posters are really nice!

If i am being honest i would say my view was more of a militant animal welfare folk with rigid views and a strong intolerance to the lack of welfare education from normal folk.

I believed this as i was under the impression that there was a culture of compliance from the nice folk that would back up the few nasty folk. I have seen cases in the past where some would defend the few because the content of their argument was technically valid but how it was said was as you said nasty.

I never thought most of the regulars were nasty. I had an impression that there were always a few posters just waiting to jump into every thread to lecture and reprimand the OP.

It just seemed that most of the other posters either ignored the condescending scolding, thanked it, or felt it was "understandable" or "forgivable" that these posters had to take their frustrations out on this forum because they apparently work so tirelessly dealing with these "ignorant", "negligent" or "careless" people on a daily basis.

liah wrote: »
    Have I got a response to my posts yet from Hellrazer? .

Which posts Liah--Youre definately not on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I said only a handful seem to think the people complaining were overreacting.

I would agree with you though that there probably would be more people complaining about the aggressive posting, only that they never came back here after being talked down to.

But I would say that it is an even wider issue than simply people who have posted and been lectured to - I think there are probably hundreds of people who have read the lecturing posts and just decided not to even bother getting involved in the first place.

thanks I misread your post :) and I am with you also on the people reading the posts! some just dont want the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Id have to go through every single page and every single thread to get you an answer to that one.If I get the time I`ll do it but dont hold me to it.

I only meant a rough idea, a gut feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I just wanted to say how nice it is to see people being pleasant towards each other, the overall tone in the forum is vastly different, and i would put it down to the discussions on this thread. Also, what a pleasure it is to see more and more new users visiting the forum!!

It just seemed that most of the other posters either ignored the condescending scolding, thanked it, or felt it was "understandable" or "forgivable" that these posters had to take their frustrations out on this forum because they apparently work so tirelessly dealing with these "ignorant", "negligent" or "careless" people on a daily basis.

I freely admit to ignoring posts which could come across as scolding. If something was really bad, I'd report it, other than that, I would have thought that the OP in question would report the post. Obviously instead of doing that they were leaving the forum and now we are left with a forum that people think is terribly unfriendly, when in reality most people here are not. :(

I dont think thats a good idea to be honest.But if you insist theres never been one post by you reported.

Likewise with whispered.

• Advertisement

I only meant a rough idea, a gut feeling.

Gut feeling says we have acted on 90% of reported posts either by a simple warning on thread right up to an infraction or outright ban.

By we I mean just looking over it quickly the other mods or cmods have acted and not just me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement