Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating oil Group Scheme

• 04-10-2010 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am looking to get home heating oil but on searching the internet i have found that there is a group scheme which depending on the oil provider will give more of a discount on the oil. So i think it works like this if they can get a lot of people lets say from the Clare area get all together and order the oil as a group this would cost less as the transport of the oil would be less for the oil provider has less to travel so more savings for him on running cost and this then can be passed on to the custmer.

So saying all that i would like to know is there anyone ever done this.

john

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

Was talking to friend the other day, he told me he did this last year. Can't remember exact details, but I think it was 5 of them, and he said it did work out alot cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Count me in if they will deliver out into the rural areas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

jhud wrote: »
    Hi

I am looking to get home heating oil but on searching the internet i have found that there is a group scheme which depending on the oil provider will give more of a discount on the oil. So i think it works like this if they can get a lot of people lets say from the Clare area get all together and order the oil as a group this would cost less as the transport of the oil would be less for the oil provider has less to travel so more savings for him on running cost and this then can be passed on to the custmer.

So saying all that i would like to know is there anyone ever done this.

john

Do you have details of the group scheme which you found on the internet?

Would their prices be better than the ones on this thread?:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055732120&page=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jhud

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Do you have details of the group scheme which you found on the internet?

Would their prices be better than the ones on this thread?:

I got mine without the group saver deal but a good deal all the same but it was with a limerick company who delivered to Crusheen.

I got 1000 Liters for €650 which is 65 cent a liter http://www.odwyeroil.com/contact-us

I then checked with the united we save website as given my someone else and that worked out well too it said 69 cent is normal which was a cent more when i was looking and they got a deal of 64.5 cent a liter based on 1000 liters.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I got mine without the group saver deal but a good deal all the same but it was with a limerick company who delivered to Crusheen.

I got 1000 Liters for €650 which is 65 cent a liter http://www.odwyeroil.com/contact-us

I then checked with the united we save website as given my someone else and that worked out well too it said 69 cent is normal which was a cent more when i was looking and they got a deal of 64.5 cent a liter based on 1000 liters.

Hope this helps

Thats not that great a deal. You can get it from suppliers in Ennis for less. Check out the thread here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jhud

CptSternn wrote: »
    Thats not that great a deal. You can get it from suppliers in Ennis for less. Check out the thread here:

But the link you sent was for quote for 500 liters i got 1000 liters.

If you doubled the cheapest quote to make the 1000 liters it comes to €670 euro i only paid €650 a couple of weeks ago so which is cheaper:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

But the link you sent was for quote for 500 liters i got 1000 liters.

If you doubled the cheapest quote to make the 1000 liters it comes to €670 euro i only paid €650 a couple of weeks ago so which is cheaper:confused::confused:

It's even cheaper if you get 1000 litres. If you are paying only €20 more at the 500 litre rate, you can bet you will be saving more if you purchase 1000 litres sure.

Don't take my word, ring em sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,005 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The concept of a home heating group scheme is a fantastic one but i fear getting consensus from neighbors would be very difficult. I live in a very rural location and have had discussions with neighbors over the past year all of whom are affected by the downturn. Each neighbor uses a different supplier and despite substantial savings i have found by comparing prices, neighbors stuck to original suppliers for various reasons, loyalty, obligation etc which are completely blinkered. In one case my direct neighbor ran out of oil last Christmas and got a few drums to get them through for a few days. They paid €100 for two 25 liter drums from a supplier they used for years. I happened to need oil also and paid €33 for the same amount from a different supplier, i asked where is the loyalty here?

I have noticed a 500 liter fill last January was working out at €275, just recently i paid €340 and this with a barrel of oil at a very low $82 a barrel. This is an astonishing €65 increase. Not withstanding getting consensus from neighbors such a scheme would be complicated by different people seeking different amounts etc. Perhaps a Christmas club type of arrangement, say a weekly payment during the summer months would work. I am all for it but even in these hard times, people are still allowing companies rip them off through a bizarre sense of Loyalty. One other slight complication is some oil companies refusal to deliver smaller amounts. Any consensus would require each neighbor to commit to agreed quantities on agreed dates.

Currently the best offers i can find are €340 for 500 Lt and €660 for 1000 Lt, I am based in the midlands.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement