Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eternal punishment (christian response)

• 04-10-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

In talking with a friend, the issue of eternal punishment came up. My friend's view was that while she could understand someone like Idi Amin or Polpot deserving of hell she said her next door neighbour was a really good person and couldn't forsee that punishment for her - I was taken aback that a professing christian of almost 20 years would hold this view. This sounds like a seeker-friendly, God is love (at the expense of his justice) type gospel - are there a lot of christians (God ordained as opposed to self ordained) who hold this or is that a contradiction ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

SonOfAdam wrote: »
    In talking with a friend, the issue of eternal punishment came up. My friend's view was that while she could understand someone like Idi Amin or Polpot deserving of hell she said her next door neighbour was a really good person and couldn't forsee that punishment for her - I was taken aback that a professing christian of almost 20 years would hold this view. This sounds like a seeker-friendly, God is love (at the expense of his justice) type gospel - are there a lot of christians (God ordained as opposed to self ordained) who hold this or is that a contradiction ?

Really? because the guy who was a doctor in psychology and wrote the book ''I'm ok your ok'' later sadly commited suicide. just because someone is a professing Christian for 20 years doesnt mean they are spiritually awake and have a proper view of Gods plan. Not to claim that I do I'm always trying hard to come close to God everyday.

There is that story where the Pope visits a cistercian community of over 60 monks and he asks the abbot, ''This is wonderful, and how many monks did you say you have?'' ''oh about four'' replies the abbot. :pac:

we are not pol pots judge, nor are we our next door neighbours, the gift of heaven is for everyone no matter how red scarlet their sins may be. I prefer to focus upon my self, work on taking the splinter out of my own eye and pray for others and leave it at that, perhaps you should advise your friend to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I wouldn't call that seeker-friendly, it's more like seeker-misleading. It doesn't sound she's gotten the abc of the Christian gospel straight yet but I wouldn't say it's a widespread view amongst.. er, God-ordained Christians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

TBH, i think there is something wrong with you if you DON'T hold the view that Hitler, Polpot etc are more deserving of punishment than your average joe next door. We must be careful not to become self righteous, or think we are 'good' of course, but come on. There IS a difference between a murderous despot, and the guy who does his 9 - 5, raises his kids, then draws his pension and passes on.

I'm not God ordained though, so maybe I missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

Jimitime wrote:
    There IS a difference between a murderous despot, and the guy who does his 9 - 5, raises his kids, then draws his pension and passes on.

But what does that difference equate to ? Punishment for one but not the other? Gradations of punishment? In our reasoning there should be a difference because otherwise it wouldn't be fair - but is this how God sees it?

Well you know what I meant ordained, declared, real whatever the word you want to use - so no need for the piss take

But what does that difference equate to ? Punishment for one but not the other? Gradations of punishment? In our reasoning there should be a difference because otherwise it wouldn't be fair - but is this how God sees it?

I don't know tbh, but I know that it is quite reasonable for a Christian to think, 'Surely a murderous despot and my average joe neighbour aren't worthy of the same punishment'. I would ask, why Jesus noted that the people of Sodom and Gomorrah would be judged better than the hypocrites of his day? If they are going the same way, then how is it better? If they are not going the same way, then are the people of Sodom and Gomorrah saved?

I believe that there is alot of speculation on judgement, paradise, abrahams bosom, fiery hell, eternal concious punishment, seperation from God etc etc. Its a very confused part of theology. With God, all things are possible. Maybe unbelieving neighbours who are more 'christian' than many of us professing Christians are there to show us up as hypocrites etc. All and all though, I would not assume that I know the score with regards to judgement.

• Advertisement

Well you know what I meant ordained, declared, real whatever the word you want to use - so no need for the piss take

No I don't. God has not declared nor ordained me as far as I am aware. Who are self ordained and who are God ordained? What is the distinction? Not trying to be smart, its just a very odd thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

Those sealed with the Holy spirit as opposed to those who say they are christians because they belong to a particular church - which is what I mean when I use the word christian - is that clearer ?

Those sealed with the Holy spirit as opposed to those who say they are christians because they belong to a particular church - which is what I mean when I use the word christian - is that clearer ?

I thought you did, which means there should not have been an issue with my post that I'm not God ordained.

Advertisement