Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I know if this guy is receiving free legal aid or legal service?

• 04-10-2010 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I recently receive a solicitor letter from the cowboy builder who renovate my house (please read my previous posts). I know this guy is hiding his income (Tax evasion, social welfare fraud, receive cash payment only, etc), there is no way he is taking out money from his pocket to hire a solicitor. I contacted legal aid board to enquiry whether this guy is in receiving free legal aid/service, but I was told they can't disclose solicitor/client information. I probably will end up to pay high legal costs which I shouldn't be as I suppose to be the victim. So how do I know if this guy is receiving free legal aid/service which he shouldn't eligible to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

xileer wrote: »
    I recently receive a solicitor letter from the cowboy builder who renovate my house (please read my previous posts). I know this guy is hiding his income (Tax evasion, social welfare fraud, receive cash payment only, etc), there is no way he is taking out money from his pocket to hire a solicitor. I contacted legal aid board to enquiry whether this guy is in receiving free legal aid/service, but I was told they can't disclose solicitor/client information. I probably will end up to pay high legal costs which I shouldn't be as I suppose to be the victim. So how do I know if this guy is receiving free legal aid/service which he shouldn't eligible to?

It's really none of your business. I'm afraid you'll just have to accept that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

I have never heard of anyone getting legal aid to pursue a debt, nor even defend a suit for a debt. I would think it most unlikely that there is any legal aid involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

It's unlikely the Legal Aid Board would be involved for this type of work. Based on what you say he'd have difficulty with the means test portion of the eligibility test, and as the poster above mentioned it's not really the type of work they get involved with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Legal Aid is not granted for debt collections.

If Legal Aid was granted it would more then likely be a Law Centre acting for him (although occasionally private practitioners are funded to take legal aid cases), so it will have a law centre letter head.

Advertisement