Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know much about sunbeds?

• 04-10-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Had an ex girlfriend who used sunbeds a lot and in her country said it is quite normal. And it is a country with much better summers than ireland

Now there's a lot of campaigning against them which reminds me of the scaremongering you hear about recreational drugs.

Have been looking on pubmed and one paper highly suggested early onset melanoma seem fairly certain to be mainly caused by sunbed use.

However I'm wondering if they are as bad as made out. One thing I think is that anyone who uses sunbeds is likely to be type of person to also get as much time in the sun anyway. Does anyone know how this is factored in for studies?

One shocking thing I read that in Liverpool and Sunderland approc 38% of 15-17 y/o girls use sunbeds at least once per week. Obviously this is a bit mad but I'm wondering if say going once per month would be that bad/even beneficial?

Vitamin D is especially important in a place like Ireland, deficiency linked to depression/MS, even to rickets across the water in Asian communities.

anyone with a bit more knowledge I would appreciate your input

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

The World Health Organisation rates them as "Carcenogenic to humans" based on the medical literature which shows enormously increased chances of melinoma from sun bed use. I've not read the studies, but doctors tend to control for other factors in that kind of research.

People do get Vitamin D from sunbed use, but that seems kind of unimportant to me next to skin cancer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Some people with psoriasis are recommended to use UV therapy from time to time, but it's usually managed carefully. Killing off psoriatic skin cells has to be balanced with the risk of skin cancer.

Advertisement