Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to NZ-3 Year Visa?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭

Already had a working holiday visa for one year back in 2008/2009

Looking to get back into New Zealand again and was told about the 3 year visa.

I've emailed the immigration dude who helped me secure the one year visa before so hopefully he will give me some insight tomorrow.

My old boss said he would sign whatever papers to get me back in the country....but that was a good while ago and think he is already sponsoring the other lad who worked in the bar with me. So not sure if he would be allowed to sponsor two people.

Anyone have any dealings with getting the 3 year visa easy enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 keaneray

Not sure about a three year visa. There's a new Silver Fern Policy which just started this year. That's for two years. Check out the link:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/silverfern/default.htm

New Zealand isn't the same as Australia when it comes to sponsorship. You'll need to apply for a skilled migrant visa. It'll be tough as a barman isn't that skilled and NZ immigration view these things as "that job could be done by a Kiwi".

Look on the NZ Immgration site for all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Thanks I will check out the link now :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I agree with that. It will be tough to get a NZ work permit as a barman. Do you have any other skills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Dont say juggling. . .

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Dont say juggling. . .

:p

No not a juggling type person!

No skills :( college drop out \o/

Looks like I shall just have to make do with the 3 month holiday visa in NZ and concentrate on the one year visa for Oz.

Maybe in those 3 months I could make a mighty impression on someone and they will hire and sponsor me :pac:

Wishful thinking but hey...could happen!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You could but unless NZ is really different, you do need to be able to prove that you are skilled to do the job. Like a cert , degree, diploma or TRO etc .

In short if your not skilled, you better really be attractive to Kiwis....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Hmm, I've never heard of a three year visa - just the normal work visa. Immigration NZ will check if your prospective employer could find anyone in NZ who could do the job before granting a work visa. The two people I know who have tried this have had their visas refused. Best of luck though! You never know.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    You could but unless NZ is really different, you do need to be able to prove that you are skilled to do the job. Like a cert , degree, diploma or TRO etc .

In short if your not skilled, you better really be attractive to Kiwis....

Hmmm right time to pop along to the beauty salon every week until I go :pac:

With the regular 1 year working holiday visa in Oz are you allowed to do like 3 or 4 months study? If that was the case I could do a course or few courses and then have some certificates to my name for NZ...
    watna wrote: »
    Hmm, I've never heard of a three year visa - just the normal work visa. Immigration NZ will check if your prospective employer could find anyone in NZ who could do the job before granting a work visa. The two people I know who have tried this have had their visas refused. Best of luck though! You never know.

It was my co-worker at the time who mentioned it but that was few years ago...so maybe it changed since then. He was also trying to go for a defacto visa as he had a Kiwi girlfriend at the time but that didn't work out in the end.

It's a pity NZ doesn't do a second one year visa like Oz does :(
    Thanks for the luck though :D I'll take it!

Advertisement