Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

peli gun case arrived

Options
  • 04-10-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭

The UPS man was here and dropped this off..:D and hit me for another 65 quid:(.Good stuff Cabelas:D..They said a back order of two weeks,and that was last Wed..Customer service still works in some places.:D
    Now,anyone got any good tips on how to cut foam for two scatterguns?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you have €300 or so to do it right, Storm will cut it for you by laser.
    If not, a breadknife will give a decent approximate cut, just be sure to make the bits you cut out a bit too small for the guns so that the foam will hold them firmly, not just lie around them.
    And don't forget your spray-on adhesive to secure the two layers of foam together and into the bottom of the case.

Oh, and whatever you do, be sure to take your time deciding on the layout of the shotguns in the case before you pick up a pen to do the outline or a blade to do the cutting...

(and also, if you have one of those electric carving knives, they'll do a better job than the breadknife will)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

if you have an old soldering iron it will do the job too

Or even better, a hot wire cutter (and if you don't have one, they're easy enough to make and if you have a soldering iron, even easier).

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Hi Guys,

I have the 1750 peli, got it from Intershoot, marked everything out with chalk and used a Electric carving Knife to cut it out, glued down the sections with spray on adhesive, does the job nicely..

Will go and take a picture of it in a minute, great case..

Regards

DB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

One thing to watch out for :o

I cut it out and it was great.... then I changed scope....

Still ok, but something to think about...

Regards

DB

My 1720 being laid out and cut:

DSC00601a.JPG

(and like Scalachi, I now have to re-cut it because I've changed sights and cheekpiece...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I've a walter "briefcase style" box for my glock, had foam with part cut segments, I tore out the pieces and Glock fits snugly inside.

I've gone through a good few cases over the years, some expensive, some not so.

The foam cdut outs are deffo the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Just as a comparison, what did you pay overall,(taking into consideration the outrageous fees for customs/duty/an POST fee) compared to the approx €320 it would have cost from Intershoot, delivered within 2 days.

£280+ £24 for foam+17.5% vat+delivery converted to € = just over €320

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Do they not do the pick-n-pluck foam for those cases? Thats the easiest way to get the cutout right.

• Advertisement

Not for the larger Peli's like the 17-series CJ, at least not as a default.
    To be honest, after the last trip to Finland, I don't want to even use the default foam, I reckon my foresight came within a few mm of hopping off the case at some point from how compressed the foam was when I opened the case in Helsinki. I've been thinking of getting Storm to laser-cut some harder foam for a while now. Will post up the details if/when I go ahead with the idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

I bought mine off these guys:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/PELICAN-1750-BLACK-CASE-FOAM-/370088929185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item562b04e7a1

€ 142 + € 80 delivery = € 222

Never got hit for anything when it landed:D

I think you might have had a windfall there derek. If you had been asked for duty and VAT, that number wouldn't have started with a 2 :D

Sparks wrote: »
    Not for the larger Peli's like the 17-series CJ, at least not as a default.
    To be honest, after the last trip to Finland, I don't want to even use the default foam, I reckon my foresight came within a few mm of hopping off the case at some point from how compressed the foam was when I opened the case in Helsinki. I've been thinking of getting Storm to laser-cut some harder foam for a while now. Will post up the details if/when I go ahead with the idea...
    You can do a really good job with that expanded PE foam that computers come in.
    They also sell it in canoe shops as buoyancy for kayaks and the like.
    Maybe this as an outer layer and the softer foam on the inside would be a solution?

I dunno CJ, the softer foam is just getting saggy at this point. Some proper closed-cell foam would be the idea at this point I think. Just need to price it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

I'm surprised you've had problems with the foam, Sparks. The smallbore in my 1700 has only ever had one problem; on its inaugural trip to Bisley. I discovered that the foam at the wheel end is very poorly done in that it's just cut short. Upon seeing the barrel a few mm from the case end I promptly stuffed the wheel well area with some spare foam to prevent the foam from being compressed too much here and haven't had an issue since.

I think the stuff in the original 1750 I had was thicker, but everything in that was very well spread out. Far too big for one gun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I bet somewhere, like Dublin or Shannon, there's a disgruntled baggage handler's board that has just posted the image of this case under a caption such as: (a) kick on sight, (b) handle without care, (c) how to determine terminal velocity of cases, (d) hard cases - not so hard after all, or (e) hard cases - the harder ya hit em, the softer they get.

Best of luck with the peli. Was thinking about getting one of my own, especially, after the trauma the airlines gave my case.

Wasn't there a thread about cutting the foam in such a situation before? Or is this just my residual youTube memory getting "confussed?"

Coronal wrote: »
    I'm surprised you've had problems with the foam, Sparks.
    You and me both, but baggage handlers in dublin, schipohl and helsinki were just nearly too much for it I think...

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

If you're looking for harder foam, talk to this guy. Nice bloke and I've seen his work before. No harm seeing what he'd charge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I had a thread with pictures of the cutting process ill see can I dig it up

Here you go:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055045215

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

I've found a supplier of closed cell foam in the UK and ordered one layer for my 1700, I think the lid and base layers will be OK as is.

Think it was ~£26 delivered

Arrived just now and I think it looks very good. A *lot* firmer than the standard Peli foam.

Just need to get my rifle back to get it cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

FISMA wrote: »
    I bet somewhere, like Dublin or Shannon, there's a disgruntled baggage handler's board that has just posted the image of this case under a caption such as: (a) kick on sight, (b) handle without care, (c) how to determine terminal velocity of cases, (d) hard cases - not so hard after all, or (e) hard cases - the harder ya hit em, the softer they get.

Best of luck with the peli. Was thinking about getting one of my own, especially, after the trauma the airlines gave my case.

Wasn't there a thread about cutting the foam in such a situation before? Or is this just my residual youTube memory getting "confussed?"

Thinking a few stickers like
    Property of the Mac Carthy /Dundons.
    We know where you live...

CAUTION!
    This case has a remote pressure activated alarm.
    Any tampering with this case and triggering of the alarm,
    MAY result in the use of DEADLY FORCE against the person who tamperd with it by local armed security.

IF the case is dropped or hit to a point over 2ftlb. ..
    NO AUDIBLE ALARM WILL SOUND!!!
    STEP AWAY from the case
    LIE FACE DOWN on the ground.
    Place your hands on your HEAD and await authorised personel to arrive to deal with the situation.
    DO NOT GET UP Or ATTREMPT to communicate with these personel as this may elict a DEADLY FORCE Response!!!

Think that should do it???:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

It'd definitely get you special treatment from the baggage handlers Grizzly, and all the nice men in the uniforms at the airport...

Well.Thats what you want then!!Baggage handlers treating your luggage like it is their own precious family china,and security personel who think that you are somthing very sinister and not to be messed about.:D

article-1193174-05598AA4000005DC-742_468x431.jpg

Grizzly, later that day in the Dublin Airport car park... :D

Ahh.They aint that bad!!! Know half of them.;) They r'e sound.
    More like police state UK..

I would be very reluctant to let my firearms travel in anything less than a well fitted pelicase. I had the pleasure watching luggage being *unloaded* by a couple of lads in Glasgow, they were throwing the baggage down as hard as they could against the front of the truck. It looked like they were trying to burst a bag. I can only imagine the treatment something in a hard case would get.
    Nothing is indestructible but those pelicases are as near as you can get while still being relatively light.
    Wasn't there some famous musician that had his instrument ruined in Dublin in the last few years?

Ya know..
    I always figured the US Govt could save HUGE money in battle testing and endurance testing of vechicles,cases,and anything else,and we could make some money ,by simply giving it to us here in Ireland to test!!

Want to test out that new Humvee style vechicle??IEDs....Piffle!! Simply loan it to an Irish farmer,and tell him to do his worst.If he hasnt managed to kill it within a year,and it still runs,and passes an NCT or DOE.It's battle proof!!!:D:D:D:D

Peliboxes ..Air dropping them out of a C130 without a parachute???Rubbish!!!A few turns of the aul baggage cart in any Irish airport will tell you if it works or not.

Not sure about that new rifle,too many working parts?Give it to us here..If we can assemble it with a bad hangover on Monday morning 6AM..and if it is missing the odd part but still fires safley.Sound!!Anyone can use it then.Thats another reason I think the AK was made so simply..so any hungover Ivan could put it together in a hurry.:D:D

Waterproof electronics..Sticking them in a rain tank??Tripe!!
    Leave them out in the Irish weather for 72 hours.Rain gear for the new issue?24 hours in Ireland will tell you wether it is worthwhile or not!

UAV Drones with all weather capability??Not unless it has flown in Ireland it hasnt!! Rain,Sun and Hail all within 20 mins of each other.Where do you get that in the World ..In Summer!
    Riot gear testing..??Outside any local pub on a Sat night..

The Israelis make a fortune of selling almost everything from socks to God knows what.By stating it is "battle tested by the Israeli armed forces".Which it is.
    We could too,by using our weather and ability to abuse any equipment that falls under our hands..."Weather and abuse proof tested by the Irish Republic.":D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I carried my Peli case home as hold luggage from Washington DC. Got a lot of funny looks in the Airport (esp from a group of soldiers who were transiting to somewhere). The BA check-in she said that looks like a gun case, I said it was and she simply said it would have to go to special screening/oversized bagge.

TSA lads there didnt blink an eye, opened it up swabbed it for explosives (luckily it was new!!) and sent it on its way. I saw them put their leaflets into the case saying it was searched etc.

Flight went through Heathrow where I changed plane. Back in Dub there was no sign of the Peli case. My suitcase turned up though. Reported it lost to Aer Lingus and headed off.

Got a call a that evening to say it had tuned up, hadn't made the connecting flight. Customs got their knickers in a twist over an old laptop that I had stuck in the case (thought an empty gun case my draw attention). Once that was sorted it was sent out to me. When I got it it was cosmetically very battered and scraped but over all intact. Instantly looked well used despite being brand new 24h earlier!

An interesting thing to note was all the TSA flyers (they stuck in 4 or more) were missing from the case when i got it so either UK security screening or Irish customs had removed those which is disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Rew wrote: »
    An interesting thing to note was all the TSA flyers (they stuck in 4 or more) were missing from the case when i got it so either UK security screening or Irish customs had removed those which is disgraceful.
    Most likely they are SUPPOSED to remove them.

Would they not be a sign to the UK/Ireland/Wherever security screeners that they passed US inspection?

I doubt they'd want those flyers in general circulation for security reasons.

I thought TSA was US only anyhow :confused:

Advertisement